Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
There was one occasion when I felt somewhat lightheaded, so I used that moment as a reason to have something sweet. I continue to have sugary snacks, although I have reduced them a lot. My typical lunch is a light meal plus a snack, and for dinner I have a moist meal with a snack, and occasionally I'll have 2 snacks. Right when I began, I lowered my sugar intake considerably, so it was simple for me to connect the way I was feeling to a need for sugar—or at least, that was my assumption.Hichewgoddess said:
I'm only on week 4 of Reta, taking 1mg each week. Roughly 24 hours in, my blood sugar seems to fall. I feel dizzy and nauseous, and I get faint. I'm guessing that's the cause, since a bit of candy or something sugary plus water appears to sort it out. I do eat carbs, I keep up with my water, and I take electrolytes too (1 packet of liquid IV daily), yet I still feel like I have to be extremely cautious. Is this hypoglycemia? Or could it be low blood pressure from not getting enough water/electrolytes?
Is your blood glucose being checked with a CGM, or are you doing fingerstick readings every so often? From what I've seen, the numbers shift at different points during the day.dondada109 said:
I typically take in larger servings of carbs both before and after my training sessions. It's been 3 weeks so far, and up to this point I haven't experienced any drops.
Every day I go through 3-4 packets of electrolytesHichewgoddess said:
I'm only on week 4 of Reta, taking 1mg each week. Roughly 24 hours in, my blood sugar seems to fall. I feel dizzy and nauseous, and I get faint. I'm guessing that's the cause, since a bit of candy or something sugary plus water appears to sort it out. I do eat carbs, I keep up with my water, and I take electrolytes too (1 packet of liquid IV daily), yet I still feel like I have to be extremely cautious. Is this hypoglycemia? Or could it be low blood pressure from not getting enough water/electrolytes?
Watch out — each Liquid IV packet contains 500mg of sodium.kobeanbry24 said:
I'm drinking 3-4 packets of electrolytes per day
Click to expand...
That's exactly right.BNLFL said:
Be careful. Liquid IV has 500mg of sodium per packet.
Click to expand...
No one here, as far as I can tell, is worried about hypoglycaemia without symptoms. Honestly, if I could walk around with asymptomatic low blood sugar for years, I'd be delighted, since the link between a raised HbA1c and atherosclerotic burden is well established.tubby said:
There's a lot of fear, uncertainty, and doubt in this thread:
"Asymptomatic hypoglycemia" is not something worth worrying about. In fact, this is partly why doctors tend to resist prescribing CGMs to people without diabetes (and even to many with type 2 diabetes), even though I think it would be a great thing. They know their patients will overinterpret the readings and begin acting as though they have type-1 diabetes (for example, eating sugar snacks whenever the number drops, and making other strange choices to flatten the figure displayed in their phone app). You're also mixing up the usual early GLP symptoms with hypoglycemia. I had those symptoms at the start too. I've used a CGM for years. On reta my blood sugar dropped. During dose escalation it often sat in the 50-60 mg/dL range. That's not unusual. Ordinarily I'd need to fast for 4-5 days before it would sit in that range.
If you inject insulin and take sulfonylureas, then you should monitor your blood sugar and do things like eat a sugar snack when you notice it dropping. Apart from that, unless something very unusual is going on with you, acting like a type-1 diabetic won't do you any good.
I never said "can't." What I meant is this: when someone begins injectable insulin or a sulfonylurea, doctors give a hypoglycemia warning for a reason, yet no such warning accompanies the start of a GLP. Why? Because symptomatic hypoglycemia is not a frequently seen risk tied to GLP therapy, unless the same individual is concurrently using injectable insulin or a sulfonylurea.Lear00 said:
No one here, as far as I can tell, is worried about hypoglycaemia without symptoms. Honestly, if I could walk around with asymptomatic low blood sugar for years, I'd be delighted, since the link between a raised HbA1c and atherosclerotic burden is well established.tubby said:
There's a lot of fear, uncertainty, and doubt in this thread:
"Asymptomatic hypoglycemia" is not something worth worrying about. In fact, this is partly why doctors tend to resist prescribing CGMs to people without diabetes (and even to many with type 2 diabetes), even though I think it would be a great thing. They know their patients will overinterpret the readings and begin acting as though they have type-1 diabetes (for example, eating sugar snacks whenever the number drops, and making other strange choices to flatten the figure displayed in their phone app). You're also mixing up the usual early GLP symptoms with hypoglycemia. I had those symptoms at the start too. I've used a CGM for years. On reta my blood sugar dropped. During dose escalation it often sat in the 50-60 mg/dL range. That's not unusual. Ordinarily I'd need to fast for 4-5 days before it would sit in that range.
If you inject insulin and take sulfonylureas, then you should monitor your blood sugar and do things like eat a sugar snack when you notice it dropping. Apart from that, unless something very unusual is going on with you, acting like a type-1 diabetic won't do you any good.
Claiming with such certainty that hypoglycaemia symptoms cannot occur when someone starts retatrutide — and that every complaint is simply 'normal initial symptoms' — takes a fair amount of nerve. And remember, GLP1 drugs were originally developed with the explicit aim of bringing blood glucose down in T2DM.
Experiencing hypoglycaemia symptoms does not require a T1DM diagnosis. How low someone's glucose has to fall before they notice symptoms varies a great deal from person to person — this is what's called hypoglycaemia awareness.
I'm glad 50–60 mg/dL felt fine for you, but presenting your own experience as if it were universally safe or typical for everyone else is probably not the right move.
tubby said:
I never said "can't." What I meant is this: when someone begins injectable insulin or a sulfonylurea, doctors give a hypoglycemia warning for a reason, yet no such warning accompanies the start of a GLP. Why? Because symptomatic hypoglycemia is not a frequently seen risk tied to GLP therapy, unless the same individual is concurrently using injectable insulin or a sulfonylurea.Lear00 said:
No one here, as far as I can tell, is worried about hypoglycaemia without symptoms. Honestly, if I could walk around with asymptomatic low blood sugar for years, I'd be delighted, since the link between a raised HbA1c and atherosclerotic burden is well established.tubby said:
There's a lot of fear, uncertainty, and doubt in this thread:
"Asymptomatic hypoglycemia" is not something worth worrying about. In fact, this is partly why doctors tend to resist prescribing CGMs to people without diabetes (and even to many with type 2 diabetes), even though I think it would be a great thing. They know their patients will overinterpret the readings and begin acting as though they have type-1 diabetes (for example, eating sugar snacks whenever the number drops, and making other strange choices to flatten the figure displayed in their phone app). You're also mixing up the usual early GLP symptoms with hypoglycemia. I had those symptoms at the start too. I've used a CGM for years. On reta my blood sugar dropped. During dose escalation it often sat in the 50-60 mg/dL range. That's not unusual. Ordinarily I'd need to fast for 4-5 days before it would sit in that range.
If you inject insulin and take sulfonylureas, then you should monitor your blood sugar and do things like eat a sugar snack when you notice it dropping. Apart from that, unless something very unusual is going on with you, acting like a type-1 diabetic won't do you any good.
Claiming with such certainty that hypoglycaemia symptoms cannot occur when someone starts retatrutide — and that every complaint is simply 'normal initial symptoms' — takes a fair amount of nerve. And remember, GLP1 drugs were originally developed with the explicit aim of bringing blood glucose down in T2DM.
Experiencing hypoglycaemia symptoms does not require a T1DM diagnosis. How low someone's glucose has to fall before they notice symptoms varies a great deal from person to person — this is what's called hypoglycaemia awareness.
I'm glad 50–60 mg/dL felt fine for you, but presenting your own experience as if it were universally safe or typical for everyone else is probably not the right move.
That said, once in a blue moon a person's metabolism is deranged enough that introducing a GLP tips them into symptomatic hypoglycemia, just as once in a blue moon someone loses their vision after starting a GLP. Both events are uncommon, and with hypos the individual typically already knows it is an issue for them before ever starting the GLP, since it has been a longstanding problem in their history.
What you are actually doing is over-interpreting the numbers on your CGM. Even without feeling light headed, clammy, or passing out, you have talked yourself into believing you are in danger. As a result, you misapply type-1 diabetic rules of thumb about hypoglycemia and treat 50-60 mg/dL as a dangerously low blood sugar, even though that level is commonly reached during an extended fast and a substantial number of normal healthy people will show it as a reactive reading after eating, all without those symptoms.
Here is the piece you are missing: a type 1 diabetic will sweat a 50-60 mg/dL reading not because the number itself causes harm, but because of the direction it signals. When their blood sugar is moving downward AND their body cannot self-correct, then by the time the CGM displays 50-60 mg/dL their true blood sugar is probably already beneath that. And because their body cannot hormonally self-correct, acting right away matters; waiting until it drops to a harmful level means it is already too late to respond.
So once more: anyone may wear a CGM and role-play being a type 1 diabetic, but in the overwhelming majority of cases it is not needed.
Lear00 said:
tubby said:
I never said "can't." What I meant is this: when someone begins injectable insulin or a sulfonylurea, doctors give a hypoglycemia warning for a reason, yet no such warning accompanies the start of a GLP. Why? Because symptomatic hypoglycemia is not a frequently seen risk tied to GLP therapy, unless the same individual is concurrently using injectable insulin or a sulfonylurea.Lear00 said:
No one here, as far as I can tell, is worried about hypoglycaemia without symptoms. Honestly, if I could walk around with asymptomatic low blood sugar for years, I'd be delighted, since the link between a raised HbA1c and atherosclerotic burden is well established.tubby said:
There's a lot of fear, uncertainty, and doubt in this thread:
"Asymptomatic hypoglycemia" is not something worth worrying about. In fact, this is partly why doctors tend to resist prescribing CGMs to people without diabetes (and even to many with type 2 diabetes), even though I think it would be a great thing. They know their patients will overinterpret the readings and begin acting as though they have type-1 diabetes (for example, eating sugar snacks whenever the number drops, and making other strange choices to flatten the figure displayed in their phone app). You're also mixing up the usual early GLP symptoms with hypoglycemia. I had those symptoms at the start too. I've used a CGM for years. On reta my blood sugar dropped. During dose escalation it often sat in the 50-60 mg/dL range. That's not unusual. Ordinarily I'd need to fast for 4-5 days before it would sit in that range.
If you inject insulin and take sulfonylureas, then you should monitor your blood sugar and do things like eat a sugar snack when you notice it dropping. Apart from that, unless something very unusual is going on with you, acting like a type-1 diabetic won't do you any good.
Claiming with such certainty that hypoglycaemia symptoms cannot occur when someone starts retatrutide — and that every complaint is simply 'normal initial symptoms' — takes a fair amount of nerve. And remember, GLP1 drugs were originally developed with the explicit aim of bringing blood glucose down in T2DM.
Experiencing hypoglycaemia symptoms does not require a T1DM diagnosis. How low someone's glucose has to fall before they notice symptoms varies a great deal from person to person — this is what's called hypoglycaemia awareness.
I'm glad 50–60 mg/dL felt fine for you, but presenting your own experience as if it were universally safe or typical for everyone else is probably not the right move.
That said, once in a blue moon a person's metabolism is deranged enough that introducing a GLP tips them into symptomatic hypoglycemia, just as once in a blue moon someone loses their vision after starting a GLP. Both events are uncommon, and with hypos the individual typically already knows it is an issue for them before ever starting the GLP, since it has been a longstanding problem in their history.
What you are actually doing is over-interpreting the numbers on your CGM. Even without feeling light headed, clammy, or passing out, you have talked yourself into believing you are in danger. As a result, you misapply type-1 diabetic rules of thumb about hypoglycemia and treat 50-60 mg/dL as a dangerously low blood sugar, even though that level is commonly reached during an extended fast and a substantial number of normal healthy people will show it as a reactive reading after eating, all without those symptoms.
Here is the piece you are missing: a type 1 diabetic will sweat a 50-60 mg/dL reading not because the number itself causes harm, but because of the direction it signals. When their blood sugar is moving downward AND their body cannot self-correct, then by the time the CGM displays 50-60 mg/dL their true blood sugar is probably already beneath that. And because their body cannot hormonally self-correct, acting right away matters; waiting until it drops to a harmful level means it is already too late to respond.
So once more: anyone may wear a CGM and role-play being a type 1 diabetic, but in the overwhelming majority of cases it is not needed.
As a medical doctor, I can say that my confidence is nowhere near 1/10th of what you display when you make such broad, definitive claims about a relatively new research use only medication that is still being actively studied. Armchair expertise on the internet carries risk even in ordinary situations, and that risk is especially high when the subject is drugs of this kind.
All the best
Lear00 said:
I don't have diabetes, but my job gives me access to what is essentially an endless stock of continuous glucose monitors (CGMs), and I used them in the past to follow my BGLs while off retatrutide. My readings usually sat in the 6-8mmol (108-144 mg/dl) range.
I've been raising my Reta dose over several weeks and have now been steady at 4mg for the last 3.
This week I put a CGM back on, and here's what I found.
- Roughly 12 hours after my weekly retatrutide injection, I had a notable low of around 3mmol/L. No symptoms.
- These days I generally sit near 4mmol/L, though I also spend a large amount of time in the 3.2-3.7 range. That pattern shows up most reliably during working hours, when I might go 8-10 hours without actually having a chance to eat.
- I haven't had symptoms from a low yet, but at these lower levels I do feel at minimum somewhat tired and foggy, plus hungry
A few things I take from this personally
- For my glycemic control, Reta is VERY GOOD — that's an average drop of 2mmol compared with before
- Even so, I believe hypoglycaemia risk on a GLP1 doesn't get discussed enough
- There's probably a group of people like me whose BGL is already 'borderline' without any medication, and they could be at risk of hypoglycaemia on a GLP1 without realising it. It matters that every trial so far selected people who are pre-disposed to insulin resistance (I.e BMI >31). By contrast, anyone can obtain it on the grey market, and that group isn't well represented in trials.
- Given the chance of a genuine symptomatic hypoglycaemic event, I definitely don't feel safe going above 4mg. For comparison, where I live T1 diabetics are legally required to test their BGL before driving and can't drive unless it's >5mmol/L.
- While on this medication it's important to eat at least small meals across the day; I'm not convinced that prolonged intermittent fasting is very safe on it.
- I do question whether some retatrutide side effects people report could be accounted for entirely by ongoing hypoglycaemia
Photo below is my trend from yesterday while working a busy shift with no time to snack!
External validity refers to the extent to which we can generalize the results of a trial to the population
Click to expand...
Look for the main characteristics of the study population. You should be asking how much this population matches the patients you see or how much do they differ. If they differ too much then no matter how good the results are they it will be difficult to justify applying the treatment to your patient from a given paper.
Click to expand...
However, giving patients treatment isn't what I do. What I do is share my take on pharma products.Lear00 said:
Lear00 said:
I don't have diabetes, but my job gives me access to what is essentially an endless stock of continuous glucose monitors (CGMs), and I used them in the past to follow my BGLs while off retatrutide. My readings usually sat in the 6-8mmol (108-144 mg/dl) range.
I've been raising my Reta dose over several weeks and have now been steady at 4mg for the last 3.
This week I put a CGM back on, and here's what I found.
- Roughly 12 hours after my weekly retatrutide injection, I had a notable low of around 3mmol/L. No symptoms.
- These days I generally sit near 4mmol/L, though I also spend a large amount of time in the 3.2-3.7 range. That pattern shows up most reliably during working hours, when I might go 8-10 hours without actually having a chance to eat.
- I haven't had symptoms from a low yet, but at these lower levels I do feel at minimum somewhat tired and foggy, plus hungry
A few things I take from this personally
- For my glycemic control, Reta is VERY GOOD — that's an average drop of 2mmol compared with before
- Even so, I believe hypoglycaemia risk on a GLP1 doesn't get discussed enough
- There's probably a group of people like me whose BGL is already 'borderline' without any medication, and they could be at risk of hypoglycaemia on a GLP1 without realising it. It matters that every trial so far selected people who are pre-disposed to insulin resistance (I.e BMI >31). By contrast, anyone can obtain it on the grey market, and that group isn't well represented in trials.
- Given the chance of a genuine symptomatic hypoglycaemic event, I definitely don't feel safe going above 4mg. For comparison, where I live T1 diabetics are legally required to test their BGL before driving and can't drive unless it's >5mmol/L.
- While on this medication it's important to eat at least small meals across the day; I'm not convinced that prolonged intermittent fasting is very safe on it.
- I do question whether some retatrutide side effects people report could be accounted for entirely by ongoing hypoglycaemia
Photo below is my trend from yesterday while working a busy shift with no time to snack!
If you want to get better at judging research and figuring out whether findings can be applied or generalised, this site is a solid resource.
https://www.cebm.ox.ac.uk/resources/ebm-tools/making-a-decision
External validity refers to the extent to which we can generalize the results of a trial to the population
Click to expand...
Look for the main characteristics of the study population. You should be asking how much this population matches the patients you see or how much do they differ. If they differ too much then no matter how good the results are they it will be difficult to justify applying the treatment to your patient from a given paper.
Click to expand...