Constant burping?

oldjarhead

Explorer
Joined
Mar 30, 2026
Messages
70
Reaction score
0
Location
St. Louis, Missouri
After any meal, I burp a lot. It's been 3 and a half months on tirz for me. I honestly expected it to fade within a couple of months. What do you all do about this? Tums and beno haven't worked for me. Given the benefits, it's a minor side effect. I'm just hoping to hear from anyone who has found a cure. Thanks in advance.
 
oldjarhead said:

After any meal, I burp a lot. It's been 3 and a half months on tirz for me. I honestly expected it to fade within a couple of months. What do you all do about this? Tums and beno haven't worked for me. Given the benefits, it's a minor side effect. I'm just hoping to hear from anyone who has found a cure. Thanks in advance.
About a month passed before mine stopped. Fingers crossed that yours does too eventually.
 
I'm on Lansoprazole (Prevacid), which is a PPI — proton-pump inhibitor. At Costco it's really inexpensive, and I try to grab it when it's discounted: $10 for 42 15mg. Full effect may need a few weeks, though relief can begin within a few days. If one doesn't do the job, switch to another — your body may adapt to a particular one or it may not work for you at all. Every couple of years I have to rotate PPI's; I've used a PPI for 20 years and, due to my weight loss surgery, will continue for life. Oddly, my heartburn is worse on Reta than on Tirz, go figure.
 
Following each injection, I have burps during the first day or two. No fix has turned up for me, though I picked up esomeprazole at costco on a sale, same as RubbaDubba1, to give it a shot. For heartburn, it performs nicely.
 
anhydrous said:

Following each injection, I have burps during the first day or two. No fix has turned up for me, though I picked up esomeprazole at costco on a sale, same as RubbaDubba1, to give it a shot. For heartburn, it performs nicely.
At this point I've kept at it for so long that it barely feels different from a supplement in my routine. That said, if Tums are something you reach for more than a couple times a week, then a heartburn medication is likely the smarter route. On top of that, it forces you to reconsider coffee, chocolate, spicy food, and similar things, and you accept that you'll pay a price if you want to enjoy them while on Tirz. These days Tums are only needed around once a month for me, though I already take roughly 40 pills & supplements daily, so 2 more hardly matters.
 
According to the studies, the most severe GI side effects usually showed up between months 2 and 4 after starting, during the phase when doses were being increased. Side effects vary a lot from person to person, though, so there's still a decent possibility that this will simply get better in the coming months. For this issue, I wouldn't automatically suggest long-term acid suppression, but trying a few doses of a PPI to check whether it helps could be reasonable — and if it does help, that points toward some stomach irritation or reflux, in which case using it isn't a bad idea. Reflux is extremely common with GLP's.
 
RubbaDubba1 said:

anhydrous said:

Following each injection, I have burps during the first day or two. No fix has turned up for me, though I picked up esomeprazole at costco on a sale, same as RubbaDubba1, to give it a shot. For heartburn, it performs nicely.
At this point I've kept at it for so long that it barely feels different from a supplement in my routine. That said, if Tums are something you reach for more than a couple times a week, then a heartburn medication is likely the smarter route. On top of that, it forces you to reconsider coffee, chocolate, spicy food, and similar things, and you accept that you'll pay a price if you want to enjoy them while on Tirz. These days Tums are only needed around once a month for me, though I already take roughly 40 pills & supplements daily, so 2 more hardly matters.
I hadn't considered coffee at all. Most mornings I have a fair amount of black coffee. I'm going to reduce it a lot and check whether that makes a difference. Thanks!
 
lessthanhalf said:

According to the studies, the most severe GI side effects usually showed up between months 2 and 4 after starting, during the phase when doses were being increased. Side effects vary a lot from person to person, though, so there's still a decent possibility that this will simply get better in the coming months. For this issue, I wouldn't automatically suggest long-term acid suppression, but trying a few doses of a PPI to check whether it helps could be reasonable — and if it does help, that points toward some stomach irritation or reflux, in which case using it isn't a bad idea. Reflux is extremely common with GLP's.

A 1-2 week trial is something I'd say is reasonable for nearly anyone, purely to check whether it makes a difference. That said, before you commit to them over the long haul, I'd strongly suggest getting input from a person who completed medical school.
 
My wife basically sounds like a game show buzzer, but pitched low. I haven’t dealt with burps myself, though wow, the way hers echo makes me cringe. 😬






a7db59dd9f6fd01d9a743d31ae24e298b325ca8371e4e5a581175c589649bcf0.gif
 
For me, omeprazole works when I use it over the long term. When I want relief fast, Pepto bismol does the trick and things calm down within roughly 10 minutes. There's a medication in the U.S called Simethicone (Gas X) that I believe would put a stop to it.

Foods heavy in carbs and sulfur seem to set it off in my case.

Just watch out for the heartburn, because I aspirated while sleeping once and it was awful.
 
CandyCap said:

This may persist as a side effect over time.

I simply remind myself that each burp means fat is leaving my body.

With every burp, another ounce or 2 goes.
There could be some truth to this... I've come across accounts suggesting that when the body burns fat, it produces CarbonDioxide that leaves the body through breathing...
 
skeptick said:

CandyCap said:

This may persist as a side effect over time.

I simply remind myself that each burp means fat is leaving my body.

With every burp, another ounce or 2 goes.
There could be some truth to this... I've come across accounts suggesting that when the body burns fat, it produces CarbonDioxide that leaves the body through breathing...
I know that....that's the reason I keep telling myself that...LOL
 
Not burping here, but ever since I bumped up to 5mg of Tirz, I get 1 loud hiccup several times daily...strange.
 
The fuller I get when eating, the more frequently it occurs. When I consume just enough to address my hunger, there's no problem.

Edited to use more precise wording
 
Those sulfur burps are the absolute worst for me. Out of all the side effects I deal with, that one hits hardest. Because of it, I'm not able to take in the amount of protein I know I need.
 
I appreciate everyone's feedback and ideas. Should I discover a solution to stop this burping, I'll be sure to share it with all of you. Thanks once more!
 
Back
Top