Compounded vs Grey

9d154b5a7f3cf24ce6b807cbbe204c2aca343af4f2a16de1bf31b27ad338a04b.png




Compounding and the FDA: Q & A



Making a drug customized for one specific patient's requirements. The FDA explains the "what" and the "why" behind compounding.

Image unavailable


www.fda.gov

According to Google:

Main Structural Distinctions

FeatureCompounding PharmaciesGrey Market OperationsLegal StatusCompletely lawful and subject to strict oversight.Operates through legal gaps or illegal diversion.Prescription RequiredYes, required by law to protect patients.No, products are purchased straight from the internet.Oversight BodiesFDA and State Boards of Pharmacy.None; entirely without monitoring.Product FormDoses ready for patients (e.g., pre-filled syringes).Frequently raw, uncombined powder ("Research Use Only").Sourcing (APIs)Chemical makers registered with the FDA.Unconfirmed foreign chemical intermediaries.
 
Zelmar702 said:

View attachment 9970



Compounding and the FDA: Q & A



Making a drug customized for one specific patient's requirements. The FDA explains the "what" and the "why" behind compounding.

Image unavailable


www.fda.gov

According to Google:

Main Structural Distinctions

FeatureCompounding PharmaciesGrey Market OperationsLegal StatusCompletely lawful and subject to strict oversight.Operates through legal gaps or illegal diversion.Prescription RequiredYes, required by law to protect patients.No, products are purchased straight from the internet.Oversight BodiesFDA and State Boards of Pharmacy.None; entirely without monitoring.Product FormDoses ready for patients (e.g., pre-filled syringes).Frequently raw, uncombined powder ("Research Use Only").Sourcing (APIs)Chemical makers registered with the FDA.Unconfirmed foreign chemical intermediaries.

Google seems to be making things up 😀.

When it comes to peptides, the majority of compounding pharmacies hand them over already mixed in multi-dose vials, not in syringes that come pre-filled. On the grey side, what you usually get is lipophilized vials rather than raw materials.
 
Both you and Google have a point, I'd say. Pre-filled syringes are indeed available from certain compounding pharmacies, though whether they're used depends on the environment, the drug in question, and its stability. Hospitals in surgical, anesthesia, or critical care settings rely on them routinely—they speed things up, help manage shortages, and reduce dosing mistakes. At home, they're also really handy for HRT or fertility protocols. On the grey side, you're correct that the typical product is just powder, yet that doesn't rule out backroom setups where folks attempt DIY chemistry. As I'm sure you're aware, those scenes can get quite strange🍺
 
Even though I like the grey market and use it, let's be truthful: compounding pharmacies operate under regulation, inspections, and quality control checks. How much of that actually happens is a separate matter entirely ;-)

On top of that oversight, grey market peptides we mix up on our kitchen counters don't match the accuracy or precision that a real compounding pharmacy delivers. After visiting several bio labs, I've watched these experts use sophisticated equipment to measure and reconstitute peptides with exactness, and that equipment is definitely NOT 3ML syringes bought from amazon.

So even if the Chinese peptide supplier is identical for both the grey market and compounding pharmacies, the preparation/quality control/legality/oversight mean legitimate compounding pharmacies are a better/more exact route to getting peptides, provided you have the money and they make the peptide you want to try.
 
Romulusguy said:

Even though I like the grey market and use it, let's be truthful: compounding pharmacies operate under regulation, inspections, and quality control checks. How much of that actually happens is a separate matter entirely ;-)

On top of that oversight, grey market peptides we mix up on our kitchen counters don't match the accuracy or precision that a real compounding pharmacy delivers. After visiting several bio labs, I've watched these experts use sophisticated equipment to measure and reconstitute peptides with exactness, and that equipment is definitely NOT 3ML syringes bought from amazon.

So even if the Chinese peptide supplier is identical for both the grey market and compounding pharmacies, the preparation/quality control/legality/oversight mean legitimate compounding pharmacies are a better/more exact route to getting peptides, provided you have the money and they make the peptide you want to try.
I'm not arguing with that. For a lot of people, though, it's purely a money question. If it were up to me, I'd stay on compounded indefinitely—it's just not something my monthly budget can absorb. Then again, once I finish off the blend of compounded and grey I've got sitting here, maybe compounded will have dropped to $50 per month. 🤞🤞
 
spanky2026 said:

Romulusguy said:

Even though I like the grey market and use it, let's be truthful: compounding pharmacies operate under regulation, inspections, and quality control checks. How much of that actually happens is a separate matter entirely ;-)

On top of that oversight, grey market peptides we mix up on our kitchen counters don't match the accuracy or precision that a real compounding pharmacy delivers. After visiting several bio labs, I've watched these experts use sophisticated equipment to measure and reconstitute peptides with exactness, and that equipment is definitely NOT 3ML syringes bought from amazon.

So even if the Chinese peptide supplier is identical for both the grey market and compounding pharmacies, the preparation/quality control/legality/oversight mean legitimate compounding pharmacies are a better/more exact route to getting peptides, provided you have the money and they make the peptide you want to try.
I'm not arguing with that. For a lot of people, though, it's purely a money question. If it were up to me, I'd stay on compounded indefinitely—it's just not something my monthly budget can absorb. Then again, once I finish off the blend of compounded and grey I've got sitting here, maybe compounded will have dropped to $50 per month. 🤞🤞
Yeah, 100% with you on that. For my part, it's been ages since I bought anything compounded, and I'm fine with the inconsistency and risk that come with the grey market. On top of that, compounders can only legally work with a certain set of peptides, so plenty of peptide users might not have a compounding pharmacy option at all. Still, same as you—if money were no object and a compounding pharmacy could make my peptides, there'd be nothing to think about, I'd pick compound lol.
 
Romulusguy said:

spanky2026 said:

Romulusguy said:

Even though I like the grey market and use it, let's be truthful: compounding pharmacies operate under regulation, inspections, and quality control checks. How much of that actually happens is a separate matter entirely ;-)

On top of that oversight, grey market peptides we mix up on our kitchen counters don't match the accuracy or precision that a real compounding pharmacy delivers. After visiting several bio labs, I've watched these experts use sophisticated equipment to measure and reconstitute peptides with exactness, and that equipment is definitely NOT 3ML syringes bought from amazon.

So even if the Chinese peptide supplier is identical for both the grey market and compounding pharmacies, the preparation/quality control/legality/oversight mean legitimate compounding pharmacies are a better/more exact route to getting peptides, provided you have the money and they make the peptide you want to try.
I'm not arguing with that. For a lot of people, though, it's purely a money question. If it were up to me, I'd stay on compounded indefinitely—it's just not something my monthly budget can absorb. Then again, once I finish off the blend of compounded and grey I've got sitting here, maybe compounded will have dropped to $50 per month. 🤞🤞
Yeah, 100% with you on that. For my part, it's been ages since I bought anything compounded, and I'm fine with the inconsistency and risk that come with the grey market. On top of that, compounders can only legally work with a certain set of peptides, so plenty of peptide users might not have a compounding pharmacy option at all. Still, same as you—if money were no object and a compounding pharmacy could make my peptides, there'd be nothing to think about, I'd pick compound lol.
And just to be clear, that $50 a month figure wasn't something I invented. A while back I had Gemini generate a forecast for me. It took into account expectations that Reta would become the leading GLP, the going rate for compounded Tirz at the time, plus its own guesses about how Lily would push Reta and shift Tirz into a smaller role. The result was compounded Tirz landing somewhere between $50-75 within 5 years. If it really hit $50 a month, passing that up and sticking with compounded would be tough for me. That said, I'll only buy it once I actually see it happen. Take Pomegranate as one illustration: not long ago they were running a promo on 40mg vials at $79. 😳
 
spanky2026 said:

Romulusguy said:

spanky2026 said:

Romulusguy said:

Even though I like the grey market and use it, let's be truthful: compounding pharmacies operate under regulation, inspections, and quality control checks. How much of that actually happens is a separate matter entirely ;-)

On top of that oversight, grey market peptides we mix up on our kitchen counters don't match the accuracy or precision that a real compounding pharmacy delivers. After visiting several bio labs, I've watched these experts use sophisticated equipment to measure and reconstitute peptides with exactness, and that equipment is definitely NOT 3ML syringes bought from amazon.

So even if the Chinese peptide supplier is identical for both the grey market and compounding pharmacies, the preparation/quality control/legality/oversight mean legitimate compounding pharmacies are a better/more exact route to getting peptides, provided you have the money and they make the peptide you want to try.
I'm not arguing with that. For a lot of people, though, it's purely a money question. If it were up to me, I'd stay on compounded indefinitely—it's just not something my monthly budget can absorb. Then again, once I finish off the blend of compounded and grey I've got sitting here, maybe compounded will have dropped to $50 per month. 🤞🤞
Yeah, 100% with you on that. For my part, it's been ages since I bought anything compounded, and I'm fine with the inconsistency and risk that come with the grey market. On top of that, compounders can only legally work with a certain set of peptides, so plenty of peptide users might not have a compounding pharmacy option at all. Still, same as you—if money were no object and a compounding pharmacy could make my peptides, there'd be nothing to think about, I'd pick compound lol.
And just to be clear, that $50 a month figure wasn't something I invented. A while back I had Gemini generate a forecast for me. It took into account expectations that Reta would become the leading GLP, the going rate for compounded Tirz at the time, plus its own guesses about how Lily would push Reta and shift Tirz into a smaller role. The result was compounded Tirz landing somewhere between $50-75 within 5 years. If it really hit $50 a month, passing that up and sticking with compounded would be tough for me. That said, I'll only buy it once I actually see it happen. Take Pomegranate as one illustration: not long ago they were running a promo on 40mg vials at $79. 😳
As news starts to surface about GLP-5 being in early development, I think the coming years are going to be chaotic—and cheap—for compounded GLPs...that is, if they can reach an agreement with Eli Lilly lol.
 
Zelmar702 said:

Both you and Google have a point, I'd say. Pre-filled syringes are indeed available from certain compounding pharmacies, though whether they're used depends on the environment, the drug in question, and its stability. Hospitals in surgical, anesthesia, or critical care settings rely on them routinely—they speed things up, help manage shortages, and reduce dosing mistakes. At home, they're also really handy for HRT or fertility protocols. On the grey side, you're correct that the typical product is just powder, yet that doesn't rule out backroom setups where folks attempt DIY chemistry. As I'm sure you're aware, those scenes can get quite strange🍺

Right! I never claimed every single one—just the majority. Also true: GLP-1s are only a slice of what compounding pharmacies handle. Take Hallendale—they run a massive operation that has nothing to do with glp1s or similar products.

Those Medivant pre-filled syringes are really neat, and they're glass. Honestly, I'd want a set purely because they're unusual.
 
Romulusguy said:

spanky2026 said:

Romulusguy said:

Even though I like the grey market and use it, let's be truthful: compounding pharmacies operate under regulation, inspections, and quality control checks. How much of that actually happens is a separate matter entirely ;-)

On top of that oversight, grey market peptides we mix up on our kitchen counters don't match the accuracy or precision that a real compounding pharmacy delivers. After visiting several bio labs, I've watched these experts use sophisticated equipment to measure and reconstitute peptides with exactness, and that equipment is definitely NOT 3ML syringes bought from amazon.

So even if the Chinese peptide supplier is identical for both the grey market and compounding pharmacies, the preparation/quality control/legality/oversight mean legitimate compounding pharmacies are a better/more exact route to getting peptides, provided you have the money and they make the peptide you want to try.
I'm not arguing with that. For a lot of people, though, it's purely a money question. If it were up to me, I'd stay on compounded indefinitely—it's just not something my monthly budget can absorb. Then again, once I finish off the blend of compounded and grey I've got sitting here, maybe compounded will have dropped to $50 per month. 🤞🤞
Yeah, 100% with you on that. For my part, it's been ages since I bought anything compounded, and I'm fine with the inconsistency and risk that come with the grey market. On top of that, compounders can only legally work with a certain set of peptides, so plenty of peptide users might not have a compounding pharmacy option at all. Still, same as you—if money were no object and a compounding pharmacy could make my peptides, there'd be nothing to think about, I'd pick compound lol.
If money weren't an issue, I'd go straight to Lilly for my purchases!
 
jmk909er said:

Romulusguy said:

spanky2026 said:

Romulusguy said:

Even though I like the grey market and use it, let's be truthful: compounding pharmacies operate under regulation, inspections, and quality control checks. How much of that actually happens is a separate matter entirely ;-)

On top of that oversight, grey market peptides we mix up on our kitchen counters don't match the accuracy or precision that a real compounding pharmacy delivers. After visiting several bio labs, I've watched these experts use sophisticated equipment to measure and reconstitute peptides with exactness, and that equipment is definitely NOT 3ML syringes bought from amazon.

So even if the Chinese peptide supplier is identical for both the grey market and compounding pharmacies, the preparation/quality control/legality/oversight mean legitimate compounding pharmacies are a better/more exact route to getting peptides, provided you have the money and they make the peptide you want to try.
I'm not arguing with that. For a lot of people, though, it's purely a money question. If it were up to me, I'd stay on compounded indefinitely—it's just not something my monthly budget can absorb. Then again, once I finish off the blend of compounded and grey I've got sitting here, maybe compounded will have dropped to $50 per month. 🤞🤞
Yeah, 100% with you on that. For my part, it's been ages since I bought anything compounded, and I'm fine with the inconsistency and risk that come with the grey market. On top of that, compounders can only legally work with a certain set of peptides, so plenty of peptide users might not have a compounding pharmacy option at all. Still, same as you—if money were no object and a compounding pharmacy could make my peptides, there'd be nothing to think about, I'd pick compound lol.
If money weren't an issue, I'd go straight to Lilly for my purchases!
Haha, right? That tracks 😛
 
It's likely wise to steer clear of formulations that include b12, since b12 interacts with tirzepatide and produces a different compound whose effects aren't known.
 
lessthanhalf said:

It's likely wise to steer clear of formulations that include b12, since b12 interacts with tirzepatide and produces a different compound whose effects aren't known.
That's just a fearmongering move from Lily. They call it a "new impurity molecule." The research they put out was designed to attack competitors, defend their profits, and terrify people. Still, I'm no scientist or chemist or anything close to that.
 
lessthanhalf said:

It's likely wise to steer clear of formulations that include b12, since b12 interacts with tirzepatide and produces a different compound whose effects aren't known.
Where did this information come from?
 
Eli Lilly ran that B12 study, and their aim was to make compounded tirzepatide with B12 look bad. Because of that, I disregard the findings on my own until some unbiased group reproduces them. What they reported was that the tirzepatide and B12 interacted to create a compound that wasn't intended.
 
"The tirzepatide-B12 adduct was found to be present in all B12 containing samples at levels up to 10% of the total polypeptide content."

DOI: 10.1080/14740338.2026.2663185

Sure, Lily provided the funding, but I don't believe that makes the findings worthless. Having as much as 10% of the drug bound to b12 molecules may not alter its mechanism of action, yet it could reduce effectiveness, shift its characteristics, or affect allergenicity
 
Back
Top