Comparing 1/2" and 5/16" Syringes

anaranchi

Explorer
Joined
Mar 23, 2026
Messages
69
Reaction score
0
Location
USA
Sharing this in case it helps someone else.

When my wife injected Glow and Reta with 1cc 29G x 1/2", she developed some bruising. That led me to try 1cc 30G x 5/16" instead.

With the 1cc 30G x 5/16", there appears to be less bruising on her belly. On top of that, the 1cc 30G x 5/16" cost less. A 100-pack of the new syringes ran me roughly $11.

Below are photos with both syringes side by side:
 
Appreciate you posting this. I messed up and bought 1/2" rather than 5/16", and at this point I've actually come to like the longer size. Going deeper seems to cut down on bruising for me. Still, same as you, I lean toward the thinner higher gauge options.

Where did you get that $11 price? In Florida it's becoming a hassle to buy needles. Costco requires a prescription, and Amazon refuses to ship Easy Touch brand to this state.
 
FartfulCodger said:

Appreciate you posting this. I messed up and bought 1/2" rather than 5/16", and at this point I've actually come to like the longer size. Going deeper seems to cut down on bruising for me. Still, same as you, I lean toward the thinner higher gauge options.

Where did you get that $11 price? In Florida it's becoming a hassle to buy needles. Costco requires a prescription, and Amazon refuses to ship Easy Touch brand to this state.

My order came from www.saveritemedical.com, a company located in FT Worth TX. Free shipping only kicks in once your order exceeds $100.
 
That brand is new to me. The only ones I have are BD and Easy Touch 31g 8mm, in .05 and 1ml. Have you given the 31g 5/16" syringe a try? We really like them.
 
BNLFL said:

That brand is new to me. The only ones I have are BD and Easy Touch 31g 8mm, in .05 and 1ml. Have you given the 31g 5/16" syringe a try? We really like them.
For my own use, I prefer EasyTouch syringes in 31g with a 1/4" (6mm) length. The shorter tips seem to be stocked by just a single vendor that I came across.
 
homebrew said:

BNLFL said:

That brand is new to me. The only ones I have are BD and Easy Touch 31g 8mm, in .05 and 1ml. Have you given the 31g 5/16" syringe a try? We really like them.
For my own use, I prefer EasyTouch syringes in 31g with a 1/4" (6mm) length. The shorter tips seem to be stocked by just a single vendor that I came across.
DiaMedStore.com
 
BNLFL said:

That brand is new to me. The only ones I have are BD and Easy Touch 31g 8mm, in .05 and 1ml. Have you given the 31g 5/16" syringe a try? We really like them.
The 31G's? Nope, never given those a shot. My stock is 1000 of the 30G's, which means I'm covered for ages.

Seriously though—by the time those 30G syringes are gone, I'll likely have some AI robot butler doing the injections for me.
 
anaranchi said:

Sharing this in case it helps someone else.

When my wife injected Glow and Reta with 1cc 29G x 1/2", she developed some bruising. That led me to try 1cc 30G x 5/16" instead.

With the 1cc 30G x 5/16", there appears to be less bruising on her belly. On top of that, the 1cc 30G x 5/16" cost less. A 100-pack of the new syringes ran me roughly $11.

Below are photos with both syringes side by side:

When I pinned GHK into my abdomen, the bruising was quite minor.

After moving the injection site to the upper glutes, about 1 inch under the waistline, I had zero problems.

For Reta, the abdomen works without any trouble.

This video is where I picked up that tip

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pAWczByUyg&t=404s
 
anaranchi said:

Sharing this in case it helps someone else.

When my wife injected Glow and Reta with 1cc 29G x 1/2", she developed some bruising. That led me to try 1cc 30G x 5/16" instead.

With the 1cc 30G x 5/16", there appears to be less bruising on her belly. On top of that, the 1cc 30G x 5/16" cost less. A 100-pack of the new syringes ran me roughly $11.

Below are photos with both syringes side by side:
I use 31G 1/4", which is 6mm. If shorter syringes existed, I'd pick those instead. A standard insulin pen needle measures 4mm. Barring an uncommon skin disorder, subcutaneous injection is possible with any needle over 2 mm.
 
Across Easy Touch's insulin syringes, I've tried just about every gauge and length available. No bruising has ever occurred for me, and I notice no distinction between them.

For injecting peps, I've landed on 30g x 1/2".
 
anaranchi said:

Sharing this in case it helps someone else.

When my wife injected Glow and Reta with 1cc 29G x 1/2", she developed some bruising. That led me to try 1cc 30G x 5/16" instead.

With the 1cc 30G x 5/16", there appears to be less bruising on her belly. On top of that, the 1cc 30G x 5/16" cost less. A 100-pack of the new syringes ran me roughly $11.

Below are photos with both syringes side by side:
You might want to look into an injection pen that can be reused. From what I recall, pen needles come in 34g and lengths around 4-6mm. V1/V2 pens are available at quite low prices, and picking up how to use them isn't too hard—after you get the hang of it, it becomes effortless. The majority of people who give it a shot never return to syringes. A good starting point is injection shop.com (a forum sponsor), and Underground supply is another option.
 
homebrew said:

BNLFL said:

That brand is new to me. The only ones I have are BD and Easy Touch 31g 8mm, in .05 and 1ml. Have you given the 31g 5/16" syringe a try? We really like them.
For my own use, I prefer EasyTouch syringes in 31g with a 1/4" (6mm) length. The shorter tips seem to be stocked by just a single vendor that I came across.
When I placed my order, those weren't available. At the moment I have 400 Easy Touch and BDs, which is enough. From what I know, @HereKittyKitty owns some of the 6mm ones.
 
BNLFL said:

homebrew said:

BNLFL said:

That brand is new to me. The only ones I have are BD and Easy Touch 31g 8mm, in .05 and 1ml. Have you given the 31g 5/16" syringe a try? We really like them.
For my own use, I prefer EasyTouch syringes in 31g with a 1/4" (6mm) length. The shorter tips seem to be stocked by just a single vendor that I came across.
When I placed my order, those weren't available. At the moment I have 400 Easy Touch and BDs, which is enough. From what I know, @HereKittyKitty owns some of the 6mm ones.
823c69119165aa935136021f7083152289b590a88d85f6673cae5ae2758269fe.webp
 
For me, 30g works better than 31g. The 31g needles are quite flimsy, and while pulling from a vial I have bent a few.
 
sheilarae74 said:

For my GHK-cu, I've been injecting with a convi pen, switching between 8mm and 4mm needles. The 4mm option stings every time, regardless of the injection site.
So does the 8 cause less burning compared to the 4?
 
BNLFL said:

homebrew said:

BNLFL said:

That brand is new to me. The only ones I have are BD and Easy Touch 31g 8mm, in .05 and 1ml. Have you given the 31g 5/16" syringe a try? We really like them.
For my own use, I prefer EasyTouch syringes in 31g with a 1/4" (6mm) length. The shorter tips seem to be stocked by just a single vendor that I came across.
When I placed my order, those weren't available. At the moment I have 400 Easy Touch and BDs, which is enough. From what I know, @HereKittyKitty owns some of the 6mm ones.
For the BD's, which vendor did you choose?
 
Estarossa19 said:

BNLFL said:

homebrew said:

BNLFL said:

That brand is new to me. The only ones I have are BD and Easy Touch 31g 8mm, in .05 and 1ml. Have you given the 31g 5/16" syringe a try? We really like them.
For my own use, I prefer EasyTouch syringes in 31g with a 1/4" (6mm) length. The shorter tips seem to be stocked by just a single vendor that I came across.
When I placed my order, those weren't available. At the moment I have 400 Easy Touch and BDs, which is enough. From what I know, @HereKittyKitty owns some of the 6mm ones.
For the BD's, which vendor did you choose?
Underground Supply
 
Commander said:

sheilarae74 said:

For my GHK-cu, I've been injecting with a convi pen, switching between 8mm and 4mm needles. The 4mm option stings every time, regardless of the injection site.
So does the 8 cause less burning compared to the 4?
With GHK-Cu, shorter needles reportedly sting more. That's been my experience too.
 
Back
Top