Colonoscopy while on Reta — how did you prep?

colg8r

Explorer
Joined
Mar 8, 2026
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Location
South America
Has anyone stayed on Reta and gone ahead with a colonoscopy? If so, how did you handle the prep?

Everything moves pretty slowly down there for me, so the prep strikes me as likely to take longer than usual this time.
 
If you ask me, allow an extra day of prep. You might even try clearing things out with your own magnesium citrate before the stuff they hand you.

I had to do the whole process 2x, since one normal round of prep wasn't enough. That was miserable. The moment I took the solution and almost nothing happened, I knew I was in trouble
 
colg8r said:

Has anyone stayed on Reta and gone ahead with a colonoscopy? If so, how did you handle the prep?

Everything moves pretty slowly down there for me, so the prep strikes me as likely to take longer than usual this time.
Did the doctor get told you're on GLPs?....Some of them ask you to pause for a couple of weeks or so before the procedure....
 
A colonoscopy is something I DID have recently, and reta is what I'm on. My DR heard I was on tirz and said that's fine, those laxative drugs will clean me out regardless — and boy, did it. Fasting a day or 2 before on clear liquids is still needed. Your shit will be cleared out though. If the prep is new to you, expect plenty of trips to the bathroom.
 
This is something I did literally just two days ago. My strong recommendation: skip a dose, and begin the prep several hours earlier than the instructions say, since Reta slows the whole process down — and the last thing you want is to still be dashing for the bathroom from the waiting room. Remember that Reta hangs around in the body for weeks once you stop taking it.

Still, everything went fine on that advice. 👍🏼
 
Troposphere said:


I was splitting my dose every three days. I skipped two of those in the week before the procedure.

I did not tell them I was on a GLP. The results evaluate how well bowel prep went in three sections of the colon and I got 3 out of 3 on all (perfect prep).

I scheduled my procedure for a Wednesday afternoon and stopped all solid food Monday night. Tuesday was all clear liquids and the first half of prep. Wednesday morning finished prep.

Hope this info helps!

Click to expand...
This is the prep info that worked great for me
 
The issue is slow gastric emptying combined with generally reduced gut motility.

Last year I had 2 of them. The second came about because the first prep was bad — and sadly the second was bad as well. By "bad prep" I just mean poo still sitting in the colon, which makes it hard to see everywhere. On the first I stopped the GLP; on the second I didn't. Even extra enhanced prep on the second still wasn't enough. A third time was never going to happen in the end, since they saw nearly everything and took 16 biopsies over the 2 scopes — enough to assess the ulcerative colitis and confirm there were no cancers. Small patches of dysplastic pre cancerous areas could have been missed, a slight risk, but not a high one.

So let them know. Enhanced prep may be what they want to use, and they may or may not ask you to stop them a few weeks ahead. Any constipation you have is worth pre treating from a week before. Fluids only a full day early is something else I'd consider, along with kicking the prep off a few hours sooner. That's what I did, and retained contents were still in my stomach when a gastroscopy was done at the same time — not ideal, given the aspiration risk with the sedation. Getting the 4 liters of prep solution down was very slow for me too; 7 hours was how long it took, simply because the slow gastric emptying meant I couldn't drink more — another reason to maybe begin a bit earlier.
 
My gut isn't slowed down by Reta. If anything it makes me poop regularly, unlike Tirz.

Next week is when my colonoscopy is booked. A good prep is what I'm hoping for. The doctor's instruction was to begin prep the day before, but I'm adding fasting with clear liquids ahead of that.
 
It's something I'll have to go through as well, and I'm considering a month off—would you say that's long enough? What worries me is gastric emptying slowing down; constipation isn't something it gives me.
 
colg8r said:

Has anyone stayed on Reta and gone ahead with a colonoscopy? If so, how did you handle the prep?

Everything moves pretty slowly down there for me, so the prep strikes me as likely to take longer than usual this time.
March is when I did it, and normal dosing on glp 1 treatment was what they said; everything came out normal on the prep for me, no issue.
 
vale113 said:

It's something I'll have to go through as well, and I'm considering a month off—would you say that's long enough? What worries me is gastric emptying slowing down; constipation isn't something it gives me.
Mine happened something like 12-14 days after the last dose of tirz...through most of that lead up I tried sticking to foods that digest easily and quickly...almost no fiber, especially 1 week out...the scope went fine, no problems...GL
 
Flash-BCR said:

vale113 said:

It's something I'll have to go through as well, and I'm considering a month off—would you say that's long enough? What worries me is gastric emptying slowing down; constipation isn't something it gives me.
Mine happened something like 12-14 days after the last dose of tirz...through most of that lead up I tried sticking to foods that digest easily and quickly...almost no fiber, especially 1 week out...the scope went fine, no problems...GL
Cutting fiber for the four days before is what they generally have me do, and they list what else to avoid eating as well.
 
Mine was about a month ago, and Reta was what I was taking at the time. The Gastro was told, and his answer was that there shouldn't be any issues, just make sure the sleep doctor knows on the morning of the procedure. Light eating was what I did for a few days before, liquid only for the 48 hours ahead, and Golytely with some sugar free lemonade stirred in cleaned everything out easily. Then when the Sleep Dr. heard about the Reta he gave me a look. His advice was that it has messed with my sleep a little, so just make sure I stay under (LOL). The procedure and post op were both trouble free.
 
colg8r said:

Has anyone stayed on Reta and gone ahead with a colonoscopy? If so, how did you handle the prep?

Everything moves pretty slowly down there for me, so the prep strikes me as likely to take longer than usual this time.
4 days off Ret/Tir was what Doc had me do. The ending was me vomiting up the prep fluids onto the table, since 3 days of fasting still hadn't emptied my stomach.
 
ComfortablePea198 said:

colg8r said:

Has anyone stayed on Reta and gone ahead with a colonoscopy? If so, how did you handle the prep?

Everything moves pretty slowly down there for me, so the prep strikes me as likely to take longer than usual this time.
4 days off Ret/Tir was what Doc had me do. The ending was me vomiting up the prep fluids onto the table, since 3 days of fasting still hadn't emptied my stomach.
Was rescheduling needed ? What else was there to do, beyond what you already do while fasting?
 
ComfortablePea198 said:

colg8r said:

Has anyone stayed on Reta and gone ahead with a colonoscopy? If so, how did you handle the prep?

Everything moves pretty slowly down there for me, so the prep strikes me as likely to take longer than usual this time.
4 days off Ret/Tir was what Doc had me do. The ending was me vomiting up the prep fluids onto the table, since 3 days of fasting still hadn't emptied my stomach.
Mine thankfully wasn't quite that bad, though 7 hours of doggedly swallowing sips of salty prep fluid was what it took to get the 4 litres down, thanks to slow gastric emptying , and it was forever before anything started working, so it kicked in at the other end just as sleep time arrived.
 
Back
Top