Coinbase removed me and Kraken put my account on hold

Mc_ppka_tp

Explorer
Joined
Oct 18, 2025
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Location
OR USA
Roughly 2 weeks back, I figured it was finally time to open an account and begin picking up crypto, with the goal of doing some CN buys. I opened a Coinbase account, attached a credit union checking account plus a debit card tied to that same account. Verification went through, and I made my first transfer of $50 with the debit card, using it to buy USDT as a starting point. After my limit reset, I sent another $50 and picked up USDT once more. Then I attempted to use the bank account I had connected via Plaid, and Coinbase locked my account, reviewed it, suspended it, and ultimately shut it down. No explanation of what I did wrong — they simply instructed me to move my funds out.

So I moved on to Kraken. I uploaded photos of my drivers license along with selfies. I connected the same checking account and put in $150 to get things going. No crypto purchases at all — I just left the cash sitting for a few days. Tonight I went to add $300 from the linked bank account, and I got both an app notification and an email saying my account had temporary restrictions and that I could not move money in or out. My guess is Kraken will also kick me off and close the account.

Any ideas about what I might be doing that's triggering this? This whole thing is getting frustrating, and I don't know where to turn next to get started, since coinbase/kraken were the only exchanges I had considered trying.
 
I don't know much about either of those 2, but I feel for you.

It feels like using our own money keeps getting more difficult.

Perhaps this will be useful.



a9e48d8b25ce049f3e4e0f85dec9f1b9a0baba2747b95a85cb755e2c55ed807e.png




Why is my account restricted? | Kraken



Support Center for Kraken.com | Bitcoin & Cryptocurrency Exchange | Bitcoin Trading Platform

Image unavailable


support.kraken.com

or this



aea4fae086ed02ff1dbb923f599c6ffcf47fa7571624941629296ef60afd9e53.jpg




Why is my Kraken deposit or withdrawal on hold?{Hold Money}



If you notice your funds are on hold in Kraken, it usually means there is a temporary restriction on withdrawals or usage⭐1-830-745-0056 This can feel frustrating, but in most cases, it is part of ...

5d8c29fa664c7eb957db7ade6a1b658373d915e3a33ff5a9560a44d726329c3d.png



krakenhelpline.futurefund.com
 
Mc_ppka_tp said:

Roughly 2 weeks back, I figured it was finally time to open an account and begin picking up crypto, with the goal of doing some CN buys. I opened a Coinbase account, attached a credit union checking account plus a debit card tied to that same account. Verification went through, and I made my first transfer of $50 with the debit card, using it to buy USDT as a starting point. After my limit reset, I sent another $50 and picked up USDT once more. Then I attempted to use the bank account I had connected via Plaid, and Coinbase locked my account, reviewed it, suspended it, and ultimately shut it down. No explanation of what I did wrong — they simply instructed me to move my funds out.

So I moved on to Kraken. I uploaded photos of my drivers license along with selfies. I connected the same checking account and put in $150 to get things going. No crypto purchases at all — I just left the cash sitting for a few days. Tonight I went to add $300 from the linked bank account, and I got both an app notification and an email saying my account had temporary restrictions and that I could not move money in or out. My guess is Kraken will also kick me off and close the account.

Any ideas about what I might be doing that's triggering this? This whole thing is getting frustrating, and I don't know where to turn next to get started, since coinbase/kraken were the only exchanges I had considered trying.

Those jerks. I was just starting to think I was finally getting involved in this whole crypto nonsense, and then they yank me right back out.





ad3dc104d14a705958854a28cbb2d37a345b800b092b734acf2ef26e572e12e6.gif
 
For ages I hesitated because I didn't know enough, and I'm still far from being any kind of crypto pro, but it seems like adding a non-custodial wallet might be necessary as well. With those, your crypto is yours to use however you like. Also, give BTC a shot — no gas fees and no juggling a bunch of different coins!

How I do it: funds go from me to my Kraken exchange. When I'm ready to place an order, I purchase BTC and move it over to the Kraken wallet. Then I take care of paying the vendor from there.

The initial run felt a bit nerve-racking, but since then it's been smooth and effortless. It might not be the most budget-friendly route, yet for someone just starting out, it's about as straightforward as it gets.
 
An exodus wallet could be worth setting up, since it gives you greater control over your assets. One thing to keep in mind: purchasing crypto via exodus can come with higher fees.
 
Mc_ppka_tp said:

Roughly 2 weeks back, I figured it was finally time to open an account and begin picking up crypto, with the goal of doing some CN buys. I opened a Coinbase account, attached a credit union checking account plus a debit card tied to that same account. Verification went through, and I made my first transfer of $50 with the debit card, using it to buy USDT as a starting point. After my limit reset, I sent another $50 and picked up USDT once more. Then I attempted to use the bank account I had connected via Plaid, and Coinbase locked my account, reviewed it, suspended it, and ultimately shut it down. No explanation of what I did wrong — they simply instructed me to move my funds out.

So I moved on to Kraken. I uploaded photos of my drivers license along with selfies. I connected the same checking account and put in $150 to get things going. No crypto purchases at all — I just left the cash sitting for a few days. Tonight I went to add $300 from the linked bank account, and I got both an app notification and an email saying my account had temporary restrictions and that I could not move money in or out. My guess is Kraken will also kick me off and close the account.

Any ideas about what I might be doing that's triggering this? This whole thing is getting frustrating, and I don't know where to turn next to get started, since coinbase/kraken were the only exchanges I had considered trying.
Purchasing cryptocurrency through a regulated exchange that enforces KYC — for example Coinbase or Kraken — and afterward directing payment to a vendor's blacklisted crypto address, with no intermediate transfers between wallets and no swapping into another coin first, will result in your account being frozen or shut down.
 
Neither of those accounts ever got to the point where I sent any payments out. All I managed to do before being terminated or suspended was move money from a connected bank account onto the exchange. Over on Coinbase, I bought $100 worth of USDT and simply let it sit there, while on Kraken the funds were just parked, waiting out the 72hr holds.
 
About the Kraken limitation—could it be, as they claim, only a short-term thing? From my own experience, whenever I move funds from my checking account to Kraken, they inform me that withdrawals are locked for 7 days. Still, I can't think of any reason they would stop you from putting additional money into Kraken.
 
A short-term freeze like that is pretty typical — plenty of platforms do it whenever a fresh account gets created or a new one gets connected.

Still, it might be worth giving your bank a call to confirm everything is fine.

Nowhere do you say that you tried to push any funds out, so I can't tell whether that's what tripped a flag — however, from your bank's perspective, the activity could look fishy, and they might shut it down.
 
A few pointers for anyone setting up an exchange account:

1. Think of it as applying for a bank account or a credit card. Expect identity verification (KYC), a soft credit pull, a LexisNexis check, and possibly Chexsystems and/or Early Warning Services (EWS) as well. Even a minor discrepancy in any of those reports can cause trouble—particularly if you have any past record of negative balances, returned payments, exceeding credit limits, and so on.

2. Never fund an account using a debit card—honestly, avoid debit cards entirely in daily life. Use ACH transfers instead. Certain exchanges (Kraken definitely does) rely on Plaid as the middleman for bank transfers, so prior problems with Plaid, or banking somewhere that Plaid doesn't work with, will lead to issues.

3. Give your money time to "marinate" in the exchange account. Don't rush straight into buying crypto—that's the step where most people get flagged. Ideally wait a week or longer after the funds have settled and become available. A hold on your first transfer is normal, and doing anything with money that just cleared a hold on a brand-new account looks like a major red flag to these exchanges.

4. Once you actually buy crypto, do the same as above—leave it sitting in your account for a couple of days (or longer if possible).

5. When moving crypto to your self-custody wallet, avoid draining the exchange account completely; keep some funds there.

There's much more involved, and the guides in the Crypto Corner section can help too, but the key takeaway is that your first crypto purchase isn't a quick process, and trying to speed it up will probably create problems.
 
WYSiWYG said:

A short-term freeze like that is pretty typical — plenty of platforms do it whenever a fresh account gets created or a new one gets connected.

Still, it might be worth giving your bank a call to confirm everything is fine.

Nowhere do you say that you tried to push any funds out, so I can't tell whether that's what tripped a flag — however, from your bank's perspective, the activity could look fishy, and they might shut it down.
My bank only showed the first $150 deposit used to fund the account. As for the $300 transfer I tried sending to Kraken this morning — the one that appears to have triggered all of this — it is not visible on my account.
 
I'm not sure this is going to help anyone, but here goes... I've been using CB and EX, and CB has given me some headaches. For more than a year everything worked fine, then all of a sudden I got hit with restrictions, reduced limits, holds, and so on. When I phoned them, they said I needed to verify my identity again. I went through a few steps, and they removed the restriction, but my limits stayed extremely low (dropped from 5,000/day instant to 50/day with holds) and nobody could tell me why.

On my next transaction, the restrictions came back. I had to call again, get them lifted, and it turned into the same cycle over and over. My account is still open, but it's hanging by a thread and no one seems able to explain why any of this happened or why things changed.

The only transfers I've made were to my own Exodus wallet.
 
While reading through this, I figured I'd never run into trouble — buying on Coinbase and sending BTC straight to my wallet always worked fine. Then I gave it a try today, and a 7 day hold landed on it. After chatting with a rep, I pointed out my history with them plus a linked bank account, and he agreed there was no reason for a hold and told me he'd dig into it. His follow-up, though, was a page of copy-pasted policy nonsense along with the message that this is simply how it is. So the service isn't what it used to be.

In the end I simply used Moonpay and paid via Paypal, which draws on that same bank account, then sent it straight to my wallet. Compared with Coinbase it ran me roughly $3 extra, but nothing went wrong and processing took only 5 minutes.
 
ZippityDooDah said:

A few pointers for anyone setting up an exchange account:

1. Think of it as applying for a bank account or a credit card. Expect identity verification (KYC), a soft credit pull, a LexisNexis check, and possibly Chexsystems and/or Early Warning Services (EWS) as well. Even a minor discrepancy in any of those reports can cause trouble—particularly if you have any past record of negative balances, returned payments, exceeding credit limits, and so on.

2. Never fund an account using a debit card—honestly, avoid debit cards entirely in daily life. Use ACH transfers instead. Certain exchanges (Kraken definitely does) rely on Plaid as the middleman for bank transfers, so prior problems with Plaid, or banking somewhere that Plaid doesn't work with, will lead to issues.

3. Give your money time to "marinate" in the exchange account. Don't rush straight into buying crypto—that's the step where most people get flagged. Ideally wait a week or longer after the funds have settled and become available. A hold on your first transfer is normal, and doing anything with money that just cleared a hold on a brand-new account looks like a major red flag to these exchanges.

4. Once you actually buy crypto, do the same as above—leave it sitting in your account for a couple of days (or longer if possible).

5. When moving crypto to your self-custody wallet, avoid draining the exchange account completely; keep some funds there.

There's much more involved, and the guides in the Crypto Corner section can help too, but the key takeaway is that your first crypto purchase isn't a quick process, and trying to speed it up will probably create problems.
appreciate it! quick question- is a separate wallet necessary? I set up an exodus account, so does that count as already having a wallet? I'm super confused 😢
 
Mc_ppka_tp said:

Roughly 2 weeks back, I figured it was finally time to open an account and begin picking up crypto, with the goal of doing some CN buys. I opened a Coinbase account, attached a credit union checking account plus a debit card tied to that same account. Verification went through, and I made my first transfer of $50 with the debit card, using it to buy USDT as a starting point. After my limit reset, I sent another $50 and picked up USDT once more. Then I attempted to use the bank account I had connected via Plaid, and Coinbase locked my account, reviewed it, suspended it, and ultimately shut it down. No explanation of what I did wrong — they simply instructed me to move my funds out.

So I moved on to Kraken. I uploaded photos of my drivers license along with selfies. I connected the same checking account and put in $150 to get things going. No crypto purchases at all — I just left the cash sitting for a few days. Tonight I went to add $300 from the linked bank account, and I got both an app notification and an email saying my account had temporary restrictions and that I could not move money in or out. My guess is Kraken will also kick me off and close the account.

Any ideas about what I might be doing that's triggering this? This whole thing is getting frustrating, and I don't know where to turn next to get started, since coinbase/kraken were the only exchanges I had considered trying.

My situation with crypto

22f9832ee92b345593a008a3455db805fd559c3a989ba3f5df9054490fa577e1.gif
 
Whiynot20026 said:

Give Trust Wallet a shot. It worked great for me. Buying and sending are both possible there.

Bill

I've been told that Trust Wallet lets you do gasless transfers for stablecoins on ETH and Sol, and that gas can be paid using stablecoin?
 
Right now I've reached 40% of the total tirz/reta supply I'm aiming to stockpile... There's roughly $1k sitting in my CB account, and once it becomes available next weekend... it's headed to EX and will be used immediately to buy the remaining tirz/reta I need for the freezer.... After that, the only reason I'll still touch CB/EX is for the occasional peptide kit(s) I decide on over the next couple or three months... apart from that, they'll be holding nothing and I won't be using them... fingers crossed... 😎
 
Update (Apologies in advance for the length, just need to vent)

TLDR: The restrictions on my Kraken account were removed, I cleaned up my account details and opened a fresh account used solely for crypto, and everything appears to be functioning now.

My Kraken account got restricted on May 15th. I burned an hour on their support page going back and forth with Kai, their AI assistant, through what felt like 20 questions, and then on May 16 I submitted an account review request.

While I waited for someone to pick up my ticket, I went through Krakens' support page and AI chatbot, chatgpt/claude/etc, plus google, hunting for whatever might have triggered the problem. Going over every possible cause for the restriction, here is what I turned up:

1. On my Kraken account, only the first letter of my last name was capitalized, and there was no middle initial. On my bank account, though, the name included my middle initial and had 2 capitalized letters in my last name.

2. The bank account at my Credit Union is a joint one. I'm the primary owner, and my wife is down as a secondary on the accounts. The trouble is that when I try to move fund out of it through a ACH ie Plaid, the transfer screen lists her as the account owner and I don't appear at all. So it wasn't an exact match to what my account showed.

On May 22 Kraken got in touch to let me know my account was re-instated and every restriction had been lifted. I asked "Floyd", my custom support contact, why the account had been restricted, and his first answer amounted to a digital shrug. I pressed a bit further, and he said he couldn't state it outright since it was a security matter. Still, reading between the lines and checking the tea leaves, it came across like he was saying there was no reason at all.

So to deal with these red flags as I saw them, I opened a new account at my CU with only my name on it, and filed another ticket with Kraken asking them to change my account info name so it matched exactly what shows on my bank account. This time the ticket got picked up and finished inside 3hrs. I unlinked the old bank account and connected the new one. After letting things settle for 2 days, I tried another transfer from my new bank account to Kraken and lo and behold it went through without an automatic restriction.

Now I'll leave this money sitting in my Kraken account for 7 business days before I buy anything or tranfer anything.

Hope this helps anyone else dealing with an issue or just feeling frustrated. There is hope
 
Back
Top