Coinbase deposit has gone through — what should I do next?

somejock

Explorer
Joined
Mar 8, 2026
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Location
SATX
I used plaid to send US dollars from my account over to Coinbase. MetaMask and exodus are both already set up on my end, though I have never actually used either one. To get this into a wallet and turn it into usdc, what comes next?
 
Coinbase can hold funds for a seasoning period. From what I remember, mine lasted 7 days. For the moment, just relax. When the time comes that you're set to buy, grab whichever currency and move it over to exodus prior to paying the vendor.
 
Thanks. That means I purchase the actual USDC inside Coinbase and then send it over to the wallet
 
Depending on which network you go with, you’ll need ETH or SOL on hand — either by sending it in or buying/converting it — so your wallet can cover the transfer. And if you’re brand new to this, running a small test transaction first is always worth doing when you can.
 
I'm on Base wallet myself, though the process is identical with Exodus:

You'll want the

USDC covering the payment amount.

A small quantity of ETH (or the relevant token) is required too, based on which chain you're settling on — Ethereum or Solana, for instance.

Move that USDC into a wallet that's already running on the same chain. My initial trial involved sending via CB's free network, which turned out to be a dead end.

After that I transferred 1 USDC over ETH and requested a screenshot from the other party as proof.

Once that came through, I pushed the entire sum.

One thing to keep in mind: My payment (both test and real) initially stated "dropped". If you then wait a bit it may actually complete either way. Do not get nervous, just give it a few minutes. If it stays dropped the funds will still be available and you can try again.
 
Florus2026 said:

I'm on Base wallet myself, though the process is identical with Exodus:

You'll want the

USDC covering the payment amount.

A small quantity of ETH (or the relevant token) is required too, based on which chain you're settling on — Ethereum or Solana, for instance.

Move that USDC into a wallet that's already running on the same chain. My initial trial involved sending via CB's free network, which turned out to be a dead end.

After that I transferred 1 USDC over ETH and requested a screenshot from the other party as proof.

Once that came through, I pushed the entire sum.

One thing to keep in mind: My payment (both test and real) initially stated "dropped". If you then wait a bit it may actually complete either way. Do not get nervous, just give it a few minutes. If it stays dropped the funds will still be available and you can try again.
So to be clear, you skipped moving anything to Exodus and instead routed the outgoing payment to your vendor straight from Base? I get that Exodus offers better security, but it puzzles me why the common advice is to first move crypto into an Exodus wallet if the end goal is simply sending it on to the vendor.
 
paisleyfan said:

Florus2026 said:

I'm on Base wallet myself, though the process is identical with Exodus:

You'll want the

USDC covering the payment amount.

A small quantity of ETH (or the relevant token) is required too, based on which chain you're settling on — Ethereum or Solana, for instance.

Move that USDC into a wallet that's already running on the same chain. My initial trial involved sending via CB's free network, which turned out to be a dead end.

After that I transferred 1 USDC over ETH and requested a screenshot from the other party as proof.

Once that came through, I pushed the entire sum.

One thing to keep in mind: My payment (both test and real) initially stated "dropped". If you then wait a bit it may actually complete either way. Do not get nervous, just give it a few minutes. If it stays dropped the funds will still be available and you can try again.
So to be clear, you skipped moving anything to Exodus and instead routed the outgoing payment to your vendor straight from Base? I get that Exodus offers better security, but it puzzles me why the common advice is to first move crypto into an Exodus wallet if the end goal is simply sending it on to the vendor.
Exodus isn't what I use — Base is. My process was to purchase on Coinbase, move the funds into my Base wallet, and then send them on to the vendor from there. The network I go with is ETH, even though from what I can tell SOL is the one most people in this community rely on.
 
Whatever crypto and network you pick has to be one the vendor accepts. Options differ widely from one vendor to another, and a few of them only support a narrow set.

My understanding is that the majority of us route vendor payments through a self custody wallet that sits in between, so that an exchange account doesn't get closed down over an address they don't like being tied to your transactions. Done the right way, the extra fees are pretty small and the hassle is minor.
 
This has come up in this community repeatedly: a wallet is genuinely necessary, since exchanges like Coinbase and Binance will flag or shut down your account when a vendor gets flagged for suspicious transactions. It keeps happening more often. Adding that extra step is what insulates you and the transaction. Personally I use Trust wallet, and Exodus works well too.
 
Back
Top