Clueless about making a crypto purchase safely

So_krispy69 said:

Madkate said:

Wallydog said:

A vendor I want to buy from only takes crypto, and I have zero clue where to begin. MoonPay crossed my mind, but I can't even figure that out (take a guess at my age😉). Emmy over at ERP was another option I was thinking about. Where do I start? Thanks.
At first I felt the same kind of nervousness, yet honestly it's quite simple. My choice was Exodus as a wallet, and getting it running takes almost no effort. You just install the app on your phone, then the instructions are very straightforward to keep up with. Before, I couldn't stand the thought of anything involving crypto; these days it feels effortless…….trust me, there's no need to feel nervous
When you were getting it set up, did your social security number go in? I was going through the pinned step by step guide here in this forum to set it up, and it told me I needed to provide my details, social included, so that's the point where I quit
No matter which platform you pick to get your crypto, identity verification and personal details will be part of the process. Under US KYC regulations, exchanges are required by federal law to collect that information. The same applies to PayPal, Venmo, and Cash App too.
 
lasveganon said:

So_krispy69 said:

Madkate said:

Wallydog said:

A vendor I want to buy from only takes crypto, and I have zero clue where to begin. MoonPay crossed my mind, but I can't even figure that out (take a guess at my age😉). Emmy over at ERP was another option I was thinking about. Where do I start? Thanks.
At first I felt the same kind of nervousness, yet honestly it's quite simple. My choice was Exodus as a wallet, and getting it running takes almost no effort. You just install the app on your phone, then the instructions are very straightforward to keep up with. Before, I couldn't stand the thought of anything involving crypto; these days it feels effortless…….trust me, there's no need to feel nervous
When you were getting it set up, did your social security number go in? I was going through the pinned step by step guide here in this forum to set it up, and it told me I needed to provide my details, social included, so that's the point where I quit
No matter which platform you pick to get your crypto, identity verification and personal details will be part of the process. Under US KYC regulations, exchanges are required by federal law to collect that information. The same applies to PayPal, Venmo, and Cash App too.
Appreciate the details!!
 
A really straightforward route to have USDC on hand for spending or paying with crypto:

Step 1 — Get USDC through Robinhood

Put dollars into your account, look up USDC, then place the buy. No fees are taken, so $100 USD comes out to roughly $100 USDC.

Step 2 — Pick up a small amount of ETH to cover gas

On Robinhood, purchase somewhere around $20–$30 of ETH. That amount handles the minor transaction costs you'll run into afterward with USDC.

Step 3 — Install the Exodus wallet

Set up a fresh wallet, then secure your 12-word phrase (write it down, hide it, never share!).

Turn on Ethereum + USDC under assets.

Step 4 — Find your Exodus address

Inside Exodus, choose ETH or USDC, then tap Receive.

Copy that address (it begins with 0x.... It matters a lot that you verify the address sits on the Ethereum network). On the Ethereum network, ETH and USDC share the same address.

Step 5 — Move it out of Robinhood

In Robinhood, open USDC (or send ETH first as a test), then choose Send/Transfer.

Drop in your Exodus address.

Verify once more that it's the Ethereum network (Robinhood allows it for USDC/ETH—avoid selecting any other network!).

Send a small amount first (something like $10) as a test.

Robinhood lists the network fee before you confirm—there's no added Robinhood fee, only the Ethereum gas (covered in ETH or taken out of USDC).

Step 6 — Give it time

Usually 5–30 mins. Look at Exodus—your USDC + ETH ought to appear.

Step 7 — Pay the vendor

After everything has settled inside your Exodus wallet, open USDC, then Send.

Drop in the wallet address given by your vendor.

Confirm you're sending USDC on the Ethereum network (look at the network badge in Exodus—the wrong network means lost funds!).

Keep enough ETH aside for the gas fee, type the amount, then confirm.
 
You don't need a lot of ETH. For most users, 5 dollars stretches pretty far.

One more thing worth knowing: fund your Robinhood account with a debit card. If you link and use a bank account instead, the money gets held for 5 days.

What's described here is essentially identical to what someone already shared earlier in this thread.

MikerJecksun said:

A really straightforward route to have USDC on hand for spending or paying with crypto:

Step 1 — Get USDC through Robinhood

Put dollars into your account, look up USDC, then place the buy. No fees are taken, so $100 USD comes out to roughly $100 USDC.

Step 2 — Pick up a small amount of ETH to cover gas

On Robinhood, purchase somewhere around $20–$30 of ETH. That amount handles the minor transaction costs you'll run into afterward with USDC.

Step 3 — Install the Exodus wallet

Set up a fresh wallet, then secure your 12-word phrase (write it down, hide it, never share!).

Turn on Ethereum + USDC under assets.

Step 4 — Find your Exodus address

Inside Exodus, choose ETH or USDC, then tap Receive.

Copy that address (it begins with 0x.... It matters a lot that you verify the address sits on the Ethereum network). On the Ethereum network, ETH and USDC share the same address.

Step 5 — Move it out of Robinhood

In Robinhood, open USDC (or send ETH first as a test), then choose Send/Transfer.

Drop in your Exodus address.

Verify once more that it's the Ethereum network (Robinhood allows it for USDC/ETH—avoid selecting any other network!).

Send a small amount first (something like $10) as a test.

Robinhood lists the network fee before you confirm—there's no added Robinhood fee, only the Ethereum gas (covered in ETH or taken out of USDC).

Step 6 — Give it time

Usually 5–30 mins. Look at Exodus—your USDC + ETH ought to appear.

Step 7 — Pay the vendor

After everything has settled inside your Exodus wallet, open USDC, then Send.

Drop in the wallet address given by your vendor.

Confirm you're sending USDC on the Ethereum network (look at the network badge in Exodus—the wrong network means lost funds!).

Keep enough ETH aside for the gas fee, type the amount, then confirm.
 
Wallydog said:

Mr. Blonde said:

Emmy has been reliable for me — multiple transactions, zero problems.

Are you beginning with no crypto at all, or do you already hold some?
Starting from zero. I don't know the first thing about buying crypto, moving it around, or whatever the process is to get it to work.
Funny enough, that exact thought crossed my mind earlier. I came across a vendor I'd like to order from, noticed they only take crypto, and just threw in the towel LOL
 
So_krispy69 said:

Madkate said:

Wallydog said:

A vendor I want to buy from only takes crypto, and I have zero clue where to begin. MoonPay crossed my mind, but I can't even figure that out (take a guess at my age😉). Emmy over at ERP was another option I was thinking about. Where do I start? Thanks.
At first I felt the same kind of nervousness, yet honestly it's quite simple. My choice was Exodus as a wallet, and getting it running takes almost no effort. You just install the app on your phone, then the instructions are very straightforward to keep up with. Before, I couldn't stand the thought of anything involving crypto; these days it feels effortless…….trust me, there's no need to feel nervous
When you were getting it set up, did your social security number go in? I was going through the pinned step by step guide here in this forum to set it up, and it told me I needed to provide my details, social included, so that's the point where I quit
Yeah, handing over your SSN feels a little scary, but I went ahead and did it and nothing bad happened lol. The platform is super straightforward, and I can assure you there's no risk
 
lasveganon said:

You don't need a lot of ETH. For most users, 5 dollars stretches pretty far.

One more thing worth knowing: fund your Robinhood account with a debit card. If you link and use a bank account instead, the money gets held for 5 days.

What's described here is essentially identical to what someone already shared earlier in this thread.

MikerJecksun said:

A really straightforward route to have USDC on hand for spending or paying with crypto:

Step 1 — Get USDC through Robinhood

Put dollars into your account, look up USDC, then place the buy. No fees are taken, so $100 USD comes out to roughly $100 USDC.

Step 2 — Pick up a small amount of ETH to cover gas

On Robinhood, purchase somewhere around $20–$30 of ETH. That amount handles the minor transaction costs you'll run into afterward with USDC.

Step 3 — Install the Exodus wallet

Set up a fresh wallet, then secure your 12-word phrase (write it down, hide it, never share!).

Turn on Ethereum + USDC under assets.

Step 4 — Find your Exodus address

Inside Exodus, choose ETH or USDC, then tap Receive.

Copy that address (it begins with 0x.... It matters a lot that you verify the address sits on the Ethereum network). On the Ethereum network, ETH and USDC share the same address.

Step 5 — Move it out of Robinhood

In Robinhood, open USDC (or send ETH first as a test), then choose Send/Transfer.

Drop in your Exodus address.

Verify once more that it's the Ethereum network (Robinhood allows it for USDC/ETH—avoid selecting any other network!).

Send a small amount first (something like $10) as a test.

Robinhood lists the network fee before you confirm—there's no added Robinhood fee, only the Ethereum gas (covered in ETH or taken out of USDC).

Step 6 — Give it time

Usually 5–30 mins. Look at Exodus—your USDC + ETH ought to appear.

Step 7 — Pay the vendor

After everything has settled inside your Exodus wallet, open USDC, then Send.

Drop in the wallet address given by your vendor.

Confirm you're sending USDC on the Ethereum network (look at the network badge in Exodus—the wrong network means lost funds!).

Keep enough ETH aside for the gas fee, type the amount, then confirm.
On the other hand, skip the debit card entirely. Link your bank account instead. Send just 100 dollars per transfer. Once that amount has settled, you can send the next 100. If a few days slip by without you checking whether it cleared, it can sometimes stretch to a week and a half. The upside is that this slows you down a lot and limits how much of your disposable income you can blow on stockpiling peptides.

That is how I keep myself from spending more than $300 in a month.
 
Back
Top