Choosing Between Higher Purity and Higher Fill: A Hypothetical

mahomies

Explorer
Joined
Jul 26, 2026
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Location
PNW
Let's lay out a hypothetical:

You've got two 10mg kits of peptide ______ in front of you (if a peptide isn't typically sold in 10mg — GHK-Cu, for instance — just imagine whatever the usual size is).

Batch A came back at 98.5% purity, yet the vials actually contained 10.5–11mg. Batch B came back at 99.5% purity, but the vials only contained 9–9.5mg.

Which one would you pick, and what's your reasoning? Does the specific peptide change your answer?
 
I refuse to purchase peptides that test below 99% purity. Since both options fall within 10% of the labeled mass, I'd pick the one with the lower mg.
 
Chili777 said:

I refuse to purchase peptides that test below 99% purity. Since both options fall within 10% of the labeled mass, I'd pick the one with the lower mg.
Exactly this.
 
Chili777 said:

I refuse to purchase peptides that test below 99% purity. Since both options fall within 10% of the labeled mass, I'd pick the one with the lower mg.
Exactly. With the majority of my orders, I'm completely in the dark at checkout, though you're already aware of that.
 
Shittersfull said:

Assuming those tests can be relied upon, I'd pick the overfill too.

What makes you confident in the test results?
This was just a hypothetical-

Just so you know

AI's answer:

The 99.5% purity batch is generally considered better because higher purity minimizes the presence of unintended chemical byproducts and manufacturing impurities.

The choice depends on whether your priority is chemical safety or getting the exact mass promised.

Why Purity Usually Wins (99.5% Purity / 9-9.5mg)

  • Fewer unknowns: The remaining 0.5% contains significantly fewer truncated sequences or residual solvents than the 1.5% impurity in the other batch.
  • Higher consistency: High purity ensures that your biological or experimental reactions are driven strictly by the intended peptide sequence.
  • Slightly underfilled: While the mass is slightly lower than a standard 10mg target, the underlying chemical quality is superior.

Why You Might Consider the Other Option (98.5% Purity / 10.5-11mg)

  • More active ingredient: Because it is overfilled, you are technically receiving more total milligrams of the target peptide, even after subtracting the 1.5% impurity.
  • Acceptable threshold: In many research contexts, 98.5% is still considered an acceptable regulatory grade for standard non-clinical testing.

Click to expand...
 
Skidude said:

Shittersfull said:

Assuming those tests can be relied upon, I'd pick the overfill too.

What makes you confident in the test results?
This was just a hypothetical-

Just so you know

AI's answer:

The 99.5% purity batch is generally considered better because higher purity minimizes the presence of unintended chemical byproducts and manufacturing impurities.

The choice depends on whether your priority is chemical safety or getting the exact mass promised.

Why Purity Usually Wins (99.5% Purity / 9-9.5mg)

  • Fewer unknowns: The remaining 0.5% contains significantly fewer truncated sequences or residual solvents than the 1.5% impurity in the other batch.
  • Higher consistency: High purity ensures that your biological or experimental reactions are driven strictly by the intended peptide sequence.
  • Slightly underfilled: While the mass is slightly lower than a standard 10mg target, the underlying chemical quality is superior.

Why You Might Consider the Other Option (98.5% Purity / 10.5-11mg)

  • More active ingredient: Because it is overfilled, you are technically receiving more total milligrams of the target peptide, even after subtracting the 1.5% impurity.
  • Acceptable threshold: In many research contexts, 98.5% is still considered an acceptable regulatory grade for standard non-clinical testing.

Click to expand...
Appreciate you clarifying that it was hypothetical. Your reasoning makes far more sense than what I came up with.
 
Shadow Dancer said:

I'd also lean toward purity rather than a larger amount.
Just wondering — is there any information out there about purity testing for prescription products, say GLPs? From what I understand, generics here in the USA only need to meet a fairly low bioequivalence bar. It might surprise you.
 
Gt3294a said:

Shadow Dancer said:

I'd also lean toward purity rather than a larger amount.
Just wondering — is there any information out there about purity testing for prescription products, say GLPs? From what I understand, generics here in the USA only need to meet a fairly low bioequivalence bar. It might surprise you.
No. That's proprietary information.

There was a post I came across on some other thread/forum/whatever in which someone claimed to know a person in a senior position at a major pharma company, and according to that person the standards they use are shockingly low — but that's just a random stranger on the internet relaying something 3rd hand.

One Tesamorelin preparation patent lists it at 98.5-98.7, though that's merely a single old patent covering a preparation that likely isn't in use these days.
 
AllCourtTENNIS said:

I'd pick purity, because the overfill contains a smaller amount of active ingredient.
And when we're only talking about a few mg, it usually doesn't matter all that much.
 
Back
Top