Cholesterol Totals Look Fine, Yet Triglycerides Are Elevated?

OzzyFit

Explorer
Joined
Apr 25, 2026
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
Location
GA
My PCP ran an in-office cholesterol and A1C panel. A1C dropped from 6 down to 5.6. Total cholesterol fell from 185 to 120. Triglycerides, though, crept upward — 303 to 313. All of this took place across 2 months. Last night at 12am I ate a “Natures Bakery” brownie, then had labs drawn at 9am today. Reta and CJC/IPA are what I’m taking. I held off on the CJC/IPA last night and this morning. I’ve got a guess about the cause, but I wanted to ask whether anyone else has run into this? Could the liver be dumping fat into the blood? Or is Reta still gripping that brownie from the night before? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
 
When it comes to sleep, I follow one guideline: whatever doesn't concern my doctor doesn't concern me either.

Since starting Tirz (250), my TAG levels have risen by roughly 100.

My guess is that this reflects a drop in my visceral fat. Once that fat is gone, we'll find out what occurs. 🙂
 
At the top of the list of things that cause this are refined sugar and carbohydrates. A poor diet can't be undone by any supplement. One sugary treat won't spike triglycerides much — the effect builds up gradually over time.

If fish oil isn't part of your routine, it might be worth considering, since it can bring triglycerides down. 2 to 4g daily, though keep in mind that above 2g daily there's also a blood thinning effect. Omega 3 boosts Lipoprotein Lipase (LPL) activity, which is impaired in people with diabetes.

By cutting the sugar out of my diet, my triglycerides went from 125 down to 86. During that same period I've also been taking concentrated fish oil. I'm on tirz. Sugary snacks do still happen for me, but roughly once a week rather than daily.
 
Here’s the odd part: I’ve made huge changes to what I eat. Fish oil is part of my routine. And those “healthy snacks” from Natures Bakery? No refined sugar in them—dates and wheat flour are the base. When my A1C went down, that tells me I’ve cut back on sugary snacks. Your guess is as good as mine. One option is raising my fish oil from 2,500mg/day to 4,000mg/day. Sure, it’s a cheap BS brand, but it’s still fish oil…… I hope. What gets me is that every other lab result improved a lot, yet triglycerides barely budged.
 
OzzyFit said:

My PCP ran an in-office cholesterol and A1C panel. A1C dropped from 6 down to 5.6. Total cholesterol fell from 185 to 120. Triglycerides, though, crept upward — 303 to 313. All of this took place across 2 months. Last night at 12am I ate a “Natures Bakery” brownie, then had labs drawn at 9am today. Reta and CJC/IPA are what I’m taking. I held off on the CJC/IPA last night and this morning. I’ve got a guess about the cause, but I wanted to ask whether anyone else has run into this? Could the liver be dumping fat into the blood? Or is Reta still gripping that brownie from the night before? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
A triglyceride level in the 300s is elevated. As you mentioned, it's possible retatrutide is flushing fats into the bloodstream. Trying another month to see how things trend is an option. Discuss with your doctor whether medication to lower it makes sense—you may not require any, but it helps to be aware of what's available.
 
Clinician here. What counts is LDL, not the total figure. Anything below 100 is where you want to be. TG only becomes a concern once it's 1000 or above.
 
CJC/IPA is another one that gets fat moving, so I suspect there's a connection. LDL is looking great, and given I'm only two months into these Peps, my hope is everything settles down as time passes.
 
Do you have extra weight, or would you be classified as obese? Since reta was started 2 months back, my guess is there are pounds you want gone. At the beginning the HB1AC sat slightly elevated ( pre diabetic ), and paired with triglycerides that are moderately high, that picture resembles metabolic syndrome.

For long term cardiovascular risk and whether statins are needed, the remaining lipids, LDL in particular, likely carry more weight. As a rule, a mildly elevated triglyceride value by itself, when nothing else is off, does not call for a dedicated treatment, though fish oil or Icosapent ethyl might be options. My hunch is that staying on reta and dropping weight will keep pushing those triglycerides downward. Also check that blood pressure is fine.

Reta has already moved you below the prediabetic threshold. Studies looking at reta for diabetes prevention are not something I have come across ( whether they even exist yet is unclear ), yet tirz is remarkable , it makes progressing from pre diabetes to diabetes really improbable, and reta is very likely to match or exceed that, so taking reta for this benefit by itself is definitely justified.
 
Back
Top