Can we have a chat about cutting down plastic waste? 🌱

kazza94x

Explorer
Joined
May 25, 2026
Messages
129
Reaction score
0
Location
Nunya
Something I keep coming back to is the volume of plastic waste that comes along with GLP-1 and peptide use — the packaging, the vials themselves, syringes, needle wraps, shipping materials, all of it.

Sharps and contaminated medical waste obviously have to go through proper disposal, no argument there. What I'm curious about is whether we could cut back on packaging we don't actually need, and shift to recyclable or more environmentally friendly materials wherever that's safe.

Harm reduction gets discussed here constantly, which made me wonder whether environmental impact deserves to sit alongside it as another part of the same idea. Plastic that ends up in the environment sticks around, and it does harm wildlife and ecosystems.

So what does everyone reckon — are there realistic ways the GLP-1 and peptide community could cut unnecessary plastic waste without compromising safety?

It's only a thought, and every opinion is welcome.
 
Set against everything else it's tiny — take plastic containers, which can be recycled around here I'm sure. On this subject I've got no real opinion.
 
BNLFL said:

Set against everything else it's tiny — take plastic containers, which can be recycled around here I'm sure. On this subject I've got no real opinion.
Having taken legal advice, I'm just going to sit this one out…
 
Which is why I'm reading up on pens. It looks like there's less waste than a stack of syringes with their plastic caps and so on, day in day out.
 
My approach to plastic is a bit different. Disposable syringes are what I stay with.

Since I started on GLP-1s, though, my sports drink intake went way up. Most of the time I mix my own now rather than collecting empty Gatorade Zero bottles - those sadly don't get recycled where I live, even when they do go into the blue bins.
 
@kazza94x how appropriate do you think it is to keep starting new threads that are wildly off-topic and sit outside the scope of even a Public Square section on a site with a specific focus? Zodiac signs, How are you really?, this one. On top of very very basic questions that have been much-discussed on threads that already exist.

If the goal is getting yourself to "level," I don't think the algorithm rewards that ... and those tags don't actually bring any benefit beyond amusement. Were I the admin/mod of a discussion forum (which I'm not), over-posting with minimal content would earn demerits from me.
 
Meh, there's plenty of plastic involved. Not on the scale of what the ICU wheels out, but still a fair amount. My take is do whatever you're able to, and I'm moving over to pens.
 
Around here, things like plastic, metal and drink cartons (PMD) are picked up separately and go off for the fullest possible recycling.

I try to do my bit wherever I can 😇
 
Trying to cut back on my plastic waste, do away with needing syringes, and stop being at the mercy of big pharma's overpriced bac water...

I began snorting lyophilized reta.

Not something I'd recommend.

PS- I mean it. Don't even try it.
 
Pens cut a huge amount of plastic waste.

Ordering peps in bigger batches at once means less packaging and shipping waste.

Once the tops are off, the vials can go for recycling.

Which leaves the waste pretty minimal:

Pen needles, alcohol wipes, plus vial tops, a couple of syringes (for reconning) and a few vent needles.
 
CandyCap said:

Pens cut a huge amount of plastic waste.

Ordering peps in bigger batches at once means less packaging and shipping waste.

Once the tops are off, the vials can go for recycling.

Which leaves the waste pretty minimal:

Pen needles, alcohol wipes, plus vial tops, a couple of syringes (for reconning) and a few vent needles.
What do you need to get the tops off — something special?
 
Flash-BCR said:

BNLFL said:

Set against everything else it's tiny — take plastic containers, which can be recycled around here I'm sure. On this subject I've got no real opinion.
Having taken legal advice, I'm just going to sit this one out…
Yes, though I'm the one acting as your attorney.

Jack Rabbit Slims said:

Which is why I'm reading up on pens. It looks like there's less waste than a stack of syringes with their plastic caps and so on, day in day out.
Bah, our recycling centres accept the sharps bin and hand you a fresh one back. Think about how little those orange caps amount to.

4StrandKnot said:

My approach to plastic is a bit different. Disposable syringes are what I stay with.

Since I started on GLP-1s, though, my sports drink intake went way up. Most of the time I mix my own now rather than collecting empty Gatorade Zero bottles - those sadly don't get recycled where I live, even when they do go into the blue bins.
I kept 4 Gatorade bottles and mix up 4 Liquid IV's at once, then stick them in the garage fridge. The size is just right.
 
indolent said:

@kazza94x how appropriate do you think it is to keep starting new threads that are wildly off-topic and sit outside the scope of even a Public Square section on a site with a specific focus? Zodiac signs, How are you really?, this one. On top of very very basic questions that have been much-discussed on threads that already exist.

If the goal is getting yourself to "level," I don't think the algorithm rewards that ... and those tags don't actually bring any benefit beyond amusement. Were I the admin/mod of a discussion forum (which I'm not), over-posting with minimal content would earn demerits from me.
Whether this is meant to bait me I have no idea, but I really don't feel any need to justify myself. Just look at this forum — endless threads of off topic and public square material that isn't relevant to anything, yet it's accepted because the label says "off topic". Advanced in level ? I've no clue what that's supposed to mean. Well, admin or mod you are not, so laying out what you would do about a member who posts just as much as everyone else in off topic is wildly inappropriate. Anyway, you do you and have a great day !
 
BNLFL said:

Flash-BCR said:

BNLFL said:

Set against everything else it's tiny — take plastic containers, which can be recycled around here I'm sure. On this subject I've got no real opinion.
Having taken legal advice, I'm just going to sit this one out…
Yes, though I'm the one acting as your attorney.

Jack Rabbit Slims said:

Which is why I'm reading up on pens. It looks like there's less waste than a stack of syringes with their plastic caps and so on, day in day out.
Bah, our recycling centres accept the sharps bin and hand you a fresh one back. Think about how little those orange caps amount to.

4StrandKnot said:

My approach to plastic is a bit different. Disposable syringes are what I stay with.

Since I started on GLP-1s, though, my sports drink intake went way up. Most of the time I mix my own now rather than collecting empty Gatorade Zero bottles - those sadly don't get recycled where I live, even when they do go into the blue bins.
I kept 4 Gatorade bottles and mix up 4 Liquid IV's at once, then stick them in the garage fridge. The size is just right.
Nice!…grateful for all the legal advice handed out so far… 😎 🤣

Man, I'm in Chicago and the flight is now two and a half hours behind so far 😳 What sort of settlement should I be expecting?…legal expenses are something I can settle in your standard fee…..Reta….👍😎
 
Flash-BCR said:

BNLFL said:

Flash-BCR said:

BNLFL said:

Set against everything else it's tiny — take plastic containers, which can be recycled around here I'm sure. On this subject I've got no real opinion.
Having taken legal advice, I'm just going to sit this one out…
Yes, though I'm the one acting as your attorney.

Jack Rabbit Slims said:

Which is why I'm reading up on pens. It looks like there's less waste than a stack of syringes with their plastic caps and so on, day in day out.
Bah, our recycling centres accept the sharps bin and hand you a fresh one back. Think about how little those orange caps amount to.

4StrandKnot said:

My approach to plastic is a bit different. Disposable syringes are what I stay with.

Since I started on GLP-1s, though, my sports drink intake went way up. Most of the time I mix my own now rather than collecting empty Gatorade Zero bottles - those sadly don't get recycled where I live, even when they do go into the blue bins.
I kept 4 Gatorade bottles and mix up 4 Liquid IV's at once, then stick them in the garage fridge. The size is just right.
Nice!…grateful for all the legal advice handed out so far… 😎 🤣

Man, I'm in Chicago and the flight is now two and a half hours behind so far 😳 What sort of settlement should I be expecting?…legal expenses are something I can settle in your standard fee…..Reta….👍😎
Nothing, the airlines carry the blame. They're exempt from law suits. One kit of R30 still stands as the consultation fee.
 
BNLFL said:

Flash-BCR said:

BNLFL said:

Set against everything else it's tiny — take plastic containers, which can be recycled around here I'm sure. On this subject I've got no real opinion.
Having taken legal advice, I'm just going to sit this one out…
Yes, though I'm the one acting as your attorney.

Jack Rabbit Slims said:

Which is why I'm reading up on pens. It looks like there's less waste than a stack of syringes with their plastic caps and so on, day in day out.
Bah, our recycling centres accept the sharps bin and hand you a fresh one back. Think about how little those orange caps amount to.

4StrandKnot said:

My approach to plastic is a bit different. Disposable syringes are what I stay with.

Since I started on GLP-1s, though, my sports drink intake went way up. Most of the time I mix my own now rather than collecting empty Gatorade Zero bottles - those sadly don't get recycled where I live, even when they do go into the blue bins.
I kept 4 Gatorade bottles and mix up 4 Liquid IV's at once, then stick them in the garage fridge. The size is just right.





3d8f850af9056739b61f34ca4f99b8b4384fcc9fc5cd7cba47c50b8aa099dde4.webp
 
Back
Top