Caffeine-induced anxiety

RetaGoblin

Explorer
Joined
Oct 20, 2025
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
QC, Canada
I've been on Reta for 4 months now. My diagnosis is moderate-severe social anxiety, and something I've picked up on lately (6mg every 6 days) is that my anxiety gets really really intense when I have caffeine. I gave matcha a shot instead, but it's still too strong. Has anyone else gone through anything like this?
 
RetaGoblin said:

I switched over to armodafinil 75mg instead
What results have you seen up to now?

Coffee is something I really enjoy. However, whenever my anxiety spikes, I steer clear of it. It tends to ramp up my anxious feelings.

My approach is to bring the anxiety down using




78d3b35e675c774de4116669357acd8572929249e6295f9469ccfce0b0ecd322.webp

along with other strategies and routines.

Once my anxiety gets better, coffee is back on the menu. Yay!!!
 
My own experience was that Reta appeared to make my anxiety worse. Whether that was tied to the fact that I was simultaneously tapering off tirz, I can't say, but it became fairly intense. I quit Reta and currently I'm using only tirz. During that stretch I obviously steered clear of anything that ramped up my anxiety, including caffeine and stimulant medication (for adhd, which I only use as needed). This isn't a topic I've come across often on the forums, but that's how it played out for me.
 
If my caffeine intake goes past 1 can of soda, I take L-Theanine, and the jittery/anxious feeling improves dramatically
 
I've never run into a problem, and there are mornings when I'll put away 10 cups before noon. My preference is to wait for the coffee to cool off, then drink a tall glass of it in one go. So when it comes to this issue, I'm probably not the ideal example. 😂
 
byefatlicia said:

RetaGoblin said:

I switched over to armodafinil 75mg instead
What results have you seen up to now?

Coffee is something I really enjoy. However, whenever my anxiety spikes, I steer clear of it. It tends to ramp up my anxious feelings.

My approach is to bring the anxiety down using




View attachment 11559

along with other strategies and routines.

Once my anxiety gets better, coffee is back on the menu. Yay!!!
It's been pretty effective. There were a few side effects when I first started, but overall it keeps me awake and helps me stay on task! I've got modafinil too, though armodafinil is the one I like better
 
Youarewhen said:

I've never run into a problem, and there are mornings when I'll put away 10 cups before noon. My preference is to wait for the coffee to cool off, then drink a tall glass of it in one go. So when it comes to this issue, I'm probably not the ideal example. 😂
Back in the day, every single morning I'd chug an extra large Tim Hortons coffee, and on those marathon shifts I'd add a Monster to get through. These days that's off the table unless I'm parked at home for the day.
 
RetaGoblin said:

byefatlicia said:

RetaGoblin said:

I switched over to armodafinil 75mg instead
What results have you seen up to now?

Coffee is something I really enjoy. However, whenever my anxiety spikes, I steer clear of it. It tends to ramp up my anxious feelings.

My approach is to bring the anxiety down using




View attachment 11559

along with other strategies and routines.

Once my anxiety gets better, coffee is back on the menu. Yay!!!
It's been pretty effective. There were a few side effects when I first started, but overall it keeps me awake and helps me stay on task! I've got modafinil too, though armodafinil is the one I like better
When it comes to modafinil versus armodafinil, what has your own personal experience been?
 
Youarewhen said:

I've never run into a problem, and there are mornings when I'll put away 10 cups before noon. My preference is to wait for the coffee to cool off, then drink a tall glass of it in one go. So when it comes to this issue, I'm probably not the ideal example. 😂
I'll be giving this a shot right away!
 
These days I'm at around 1.5 cups. I don't really want it, and I could likely go without. It used to get my bowels moving. That's not really the case now.
 
I used to have 2 cups daily as well, since I own an espresso machine.

After 2 months on Reta, though, my craving for it disappeared. It's now been more than 1 month without any coffee, and I don't even feel like having one.
 
I used to drink an entire pot each morning, but now I only have 1 cup. Still, that single cup brings me a lot of pleasure!
 
Coffee makes me completely jittery and anxious. It is absolutely wild.

Whenever someone offers me a cup, my response is always, "No thanks, I'm not into hard drugs."
e2eac4257582e6dfa78a850208e8b4b3f398f1334fa70e52a146cf297b1d4a94.gif
 
RetaGoblin said:

I've been on Reta for 4 months now. My diagnosis is moderate-severe social anxiety, and something I've picked up on lately (6mg every 6 days) is that my anxiety gets really really intense when I have caffeine. I gave matcha a shot instead, but it's still too strong. Has anyone else gone through anything like this?
I deal with anxiety, and for roughly 10 years I've stayed away from caffeine. In my view, nothing could be worse for anxiety.
 
Alright, you all are odd! Downing 10 cups of coffee? Naughty mud? Where do you exist in real life, everyone I know is boring.
 
Back
Top