Buying from India with a prescription — any customs risk?

toologic

Explorer
Joined
Mar 30, 2024
Messages
49
Reaction score
0
Location
USA
Say I've got a valid prescription and I order from India — does the parcel get marked in any way so it clears customs without hassle? GoodRx wants about 650 for 2 months, while in india it's 50, but the shipping also has to be reasonably dependable.
 
You're fortunate here! Getting shipments from India is precisely the route you want, and it's fairly dependable. Customs simply can't inspect everything because the volume is enormous, so most parcels slip through fine. As for your prescription, though, it means nothing at all in this situation. It won't cover medications of dubious quality coming from India.
 
5byfive said:

You're fortunate here! Getting shipments from India is precisely the route you want, and it's fairly dependable. Customs simply can't inspect everything because the volume is enormous, so most parcels slip through fine. As for your prescription, though, it means nothing at all in this situation. It won't cover medications of dubious quality coming from India.

If I have a script, will that be written down on the documents so the package clears customs without being seized or with less inspection?
 
toologic said:

5byfive said:

You're fortunate here! Getting shipments from India is precisely the route you want, and it's fairly dependable. Customs simply can't inspect everything because the volume is enormous, so most parcels slip through fine. As for your prescription, though, it means nothing at all in this situation. It won't cover medications of dubious quality coming from India.

If I have a script, will that be written down on the documents so the package clears customs without being seized or with less inspection?
Customs paperwork doesn't involve prescriptions at all.

Honestly, I doubt the customs declaration forms are even accurate.
 
I'll address what I believe you're really asking, op

A doctor's valid prescription doesn't by itself legalize bringing a prescription medication in from an overseas pharmacy.

Should you live in the US and the package gets seized, don't count on anything beyond a customs notice showing up in your mailbox. These forms tell you about the seizure, and usually ask for a signature that you send back to acknowledge it. Simply toss the notice—nothing ever comes of it.
 
Even though a prescription won't help you get through customs, out of 6 packages only 1 has been taken from me, and I'm toward the unlucky end of the spectrum.

From what I've gathered, the usual rate is nearer to 1-5%.

Given how much you're saving, absorbing 1-2 seizures is doable—just avoid ordering a large amount in a single go.

On the question of quality: I've been taking the blood pressure medication for a year, and it appears to do what it's supposed to. Those were prescribed too, but getting them from India worked out better.
 
Back
Top