Buying Bitcoin in Exodus

Leclairk

Explorer
Joined
Jan 21, 2026
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Portland, OR
I'm done trying. What's the way to purchase Bitcoin so the transaction actually completes? I attempted a $300 Bitcoin buy using Apple Pay. My bank turned it down. I then tried a $100 purchase through Venmo, and that got declined too. What's the method to get Bitcoin into my wallet? Should I buy through Cashapp and then send it over to Exodus? Would Cashapp close my account for doing that?
 
I'm aware of folks who ran into banks turning them down, and they got things to go through by using Cashapp or Paypal, after which they moved the funds into a separate wallet.

That hasn't been something I needed to do...still, it could be worth considering.
 
Open Exodus, then type in the amount of BTC you'd like to purchase. After that, choose the bank account option. You'll be sent automatically to moonpay, where they'll request your card details. It shows up in roughly 10 or 15 minutes. Simple as that.
 
byefatlicia said:

Open Exodus, then type in the amount of BTC you'd like to purchase. After that, choose the bank account option. You'll be sent automatically to moonpay, where they'll request your card details. It shows up in roughly 10 or 15 minutes. Simple as that.
Nice. I'll give that a shot. Fingers crossed my bank lets the Moon pay transaction through.
 
Lecotherk said:

byefatlicia said:

Open Exodus, then type in the amount of BTC you'd like to purchase. After that, choose the bank account option. You'll be sent automatically to moonpay, where they'll request your card details. It shows up in roughly 10 or 15 minutes. Simple as that.
Nice. I'll give that a shot. Fingers crossed my bank lets the Moon pay transaction through.
Report back on how this turns out for you 🙂
 
I've moved funds from Cash App over to Exodus multiple times, and it's always gone smoothly. The process is straightforward, and I picked it up with no prior experience. Every peptide purchase I've made was paid for with Bitcoin held in my Exodus wallet.
 
DazDillinger said:

I've moved funds from Cash App over to Exodus multiple times, and it's always gone smoothly. The process is straightforward, and I picked it up with no prior experience. Every peptide purchase I've made was paid for with Bitcoin held in my Exodus wallet.
That was my routine as well. Then one day Cashapp refused to move my BTC into my Exodus wallet. I attempted to sort it out, but no luck. These days, everything happens inside Exodus...
 
byefatlicia said:

DazDillinger said:

I've moved funds from Cash App over to Exodus multiple times, and it's always gone smoothly. The process is straightforward, and I picked it up with no prior experience. Every peptide purchase I've made was paid for with Bitcoin held in my Exodus wallet.
That was my routine as well. Then one day Cashapp refused to move my BTC into my Exodus wallet. I attempted to sort it out, but no luck. These days, everything happens inside Exodus...
Coinbase (USDC/sol-eth), Paypal (PYUSD/sol), or Cashapp(USDC/sol) tend to hand over the stable coin with no added fees. From there, sending it to the custodial wallet costs pennies — and that wallet is the only spot you should ever make purchases from if you want to keep your KYC account. You'll also want a little of the underlying chain (sol-eth) to cover gas fees, though those are typically pennies too. Even moving between PYUSD/USDC costs pennies when using the Web3 tools inside exodus (Jupiter on sol, or Wormhole for sol/eth conversion).

Those conversions, or buying straight inside Exodus (moonpay or Blockchain.com), will pile on 1.5-5% fees, so you'll definitely want extra "just in case". If you go direct for BTC (also doable on the KYCs listed above), you can, but transactions are slow (10min rather than 10sec) and expensive $ rather than cents. There's also the risk that BTC drops in value before you complete the transaction, so definitely get more than 10% extra cuz it can easily move that much in day.
 
In the Exodus wallet, I completed a purchase through Moonpay. My Apple Pay attempt was rejected, yet after I confirmed my identity—by submitting a photo of my ID and a selfie—my debit card was accepted.
 
Lecotherk said:

I should point out that after putting $150 into SOL, my account showed just $144. Is that to be expected?
It might be the fees that were taken out — plus SOL isn't a stablecoin, so its price could have shifted from when the transaction started to when it went through.
 
Lecotherk said:

I should point out that after putting $150 into SOL, my account showed just $144. Is that to be expected?
Yeah, when the amount is small, a 4% moonpay fee is pretty normal.

Over the past few months I've watched Sol swing 40%, though I only noticed because my original buy was $10 and the fees came to just a few cents... so having under $6 left tells me the value dropped. Eth doesn't move quite as much (and costs a bit more to transact). Still, a 4% move within 1 hour is something you VERY rarely see.
 
joseblo said:

Lecotherk said:

I should point out that after putting $150 into SOL, my account showed just $144. Is that to be expected?
Yeah, when the amount is small, a 4% moonpay fee is pretty normal.

Over the past few months I've watched Sol swing 40%, though I only noticed because my original buy was $10 and the fees came to just a few cents... so having under $6 left tells me the value dropped. Eth doesn't move quite as much (and costs a bit more to transact). Still, a 4% move within 1 hour is something you VERY rarely see.
Sure, a 4% move in that little time is really improbable, but I figured I'd mention that the value could shift either way.
 
Not_Your_Dad said:

joseblo said:

Lecotherk said:

I should point out that after putting $150 into SOL, my account showed just $144. Is that to be expected?
Yeah, when the amount is small, a 4% moonpay fee is pretty normal.

Over the past few months I've watched Sol swing 40%, though I only noticed because my original buy was $10 and the fees came to just a few cents... so having under $6 left tells me the value dropped. Eth doesn't move quite as much (and costs a bit more to transact). Still, a 4% move within 1 hour is something you VERY rarely see.
Sure, a 4% move in that little time is really improbable, but I figured I'd mention that the value could shift either way.
Keep in mind it could rise too🙂
 
Lecotherk said:

I'm done trying. What's the way to purchase Bitcoin so the transaction actually completes? I attempted a $300 Bitcoin buy using Apple Pay. My bank turned it down. I then tried a $100 purchase through Venmo, and that got declined too. What's the method to get Bitcoin into my wallet? Should I buy through Cashapp and then send it over to Exodus? Would Cashapp close my account for doing that?
Ran into that too. When I phoned my bank, they said the problem wasn't on their end, and no matter how many times I tried, it still wouldn't go through.

Now I get my bitcoin through coinbase and then move it over to exodus.
 
When I attempted to settle with a vendor in BTC, the value wouldn't stop moving around. On top of that, the BTC total the vendor wanted exceeded the live trading price, since they simply look up the exchange rate on Google, which isn't the same as what real time trading shows. In the end I paid with USDC, because it's a stable coin with a 1 for 1 exchange rate. It might be worth checking whether they take anything besides BTC.

My own approach is Uphold, with the money moved over from my bank account. Plenty of credit or debit cards refuse crypto purchases, and any that do permit it tack on a % fee. Moving money from your bank account carries no fee, and the funds are available to spend right away, even if it may take a few days before they actually pull it from your bank account. Essentially they advance you the money while the withdrawal from your bank account is being processed.
 
pepshi said:

When I attempted to settle with a vendor in BTC, the value wouldn't stop moving around. On top of that, the BTC total the vendor wanted exceeded the live trading price, since they simply look up the exchange rate on Google, which isn't the same as what real time trading shows. In the end I paid with USDC, because it's a stable coin with a 1 for 1 exchange rate. It might be worth checking whether they take anything besides BTC.

My own approach is Uphold, with the money moved over from my bank account. Plenty of credit or debit cards refuse crypto purchases, and any that do permit it tack on a % fee. Moving money from your bank account carries no fee, and the funds are available to spend right away, even if it may take a few days before they actually pull it from your bank account. Essentially they advance you the money while the withdrawal from your bank account is being processed.
Are you saying the cost of what you bought went up just because you paid with BTC?

That's a new one on me.
 
A growing number of sellers now tack on a 5% surcharge for BTC payments. Only a short while back, merchants were practically pleading with customers to pay in BTC.

This isn't the market's first downturn, after all... I'm holding all of it in USDC plus a bit of Sol to keep things moving...it's simply too volatile
 
byefatlicia said:

pepshi said:

When I attempted to settle with a vendor in BTC, the value wouldn't stop moving around. On top of that, the BTC total the vendor wanted exceeded the live trading price, since they simply look up the exchange rate on Google, which isn't the same as what real time trading shows. In the end I paid with USDC, because it's a stable coin with a 1 for 1 exchange rate. It might be worth checking whether they take anything besides BTC.

My own approach is Uphold, with the money moved over from my bank account. Plenty of credit or debit cards refuse crypto purchases, and any that do permit it tack on a % fee. Moving money from your bank account carries no fee, and the funds are available to spend right away, even if it may take a few days before they actually pull it from your bank account. Essentially they advance you the money while the withdrawal from your bank account is being processed.
Are you saying the cost of what you bought went up just because you paid with BTC?

That's a new one on me.
The vendor only looks up whatever the USD amount converts to, but that figure isn't the same as the live trading price at that moment. BTC can swing from one second to the next, and even a tiny gap makes a difference. In my situation, the vendor claimed .0085 BTC was needed to match what I owed in USD. When I tried to buy on uphold, the equivalent of my owed amount came out to .0081 BTC. At that moment, that .004 gap meant I'd be paying about $37 dollars too much.

I pointed out to the vendor what the live rate actually was, and they replied with a screenshot of their own conversion, still insisting on .0085. So I simply moved to USDC, which is far simpler to convert because it stays 1 to 1.

I've attached the current BTC conversion from google and the live trading price from uphold. $500 on google conversion shows .0073 BTC, but the live trading price is .0070.

If they never state how much BTC to send and only give a USD figure, then I suppose you just send the owed amount. In my case, I wanted to verify what that amount was in BTC for them, and they sent a number higher than it should've been.

For me, paying with a stable coin is just much easier than dealing with BTC, given how wildly it fluctuates.
 
Back
Top