Brenipatide — a GLP1 made specifically to target addiction

findsource

Explorer
Joined
Jul 5, 2026
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Location
Germany
Has anyone come across Lilly's new drug, Brenipatide? It's a GLP1 built with addiction treatment as its specific purpose. Did you hear anything about it, or have you actually given it a try? Right now it's sitting in Phase 3 of clinical trials and the results look pretty encouraging.
 
LY3537031

seems worth a look

Brenipatide (LY-3537031) is an investigational once-monthly subcutaneous dual GLP-1 and GIP receptor agonist developed by Eli Lilly and Company. Unlike metabolic-focused sister peptides, it is specifically optimized for central nervous system and psychiatric indications, currently in Phase 3 trials for alcohol use disorder and bipolar disorder. [1, 2]

Mechanism and Design

    • Dual agonist targeting GLP-1 and GIP receptors simultaneously.
    • Engineered with a backbone modification providing an extended half-life for once-monthly dosing.
    • Optimized for brain and reward-circuitry penetration rather than primary weight loss. [1, 2]

Current Clinical Trials

    • Phase 3: Alcohol use disorder, bipolar disorder, and major depressive disorder.
    • Phase 2: Asthma, schizophrenia, and smoking cessation relapse prevention.
    • Phase 1: Obesity, metabolic disorders, and liver conditions. [1]

If you are looking for specific trial enrollment details or safety data for brenipatide, please let me know which condition you are interested in.

Click to expand...
 
At first I was about to ask whether this medication would help break my habit of spending money on peptides.

Then it hit me that my student loan payments just jumped by 400%, so that problem is already handled for me. 😭

All jokes aside, though — if it can accomplish more for addiction than tirz did for the way I relate to alcohol, that would be incredible. My only hope is that the pricing ends up low enough for non-profits and health orgs to hand it out to the people whose lives addiction has wrecked and turned upside down.
 
findsource said:

@HouseCat which dose of tirzepatid worked for your alcohol cravings
2.5mg — basically right from the start. Before, I was at 1-2 beers per day, 12 per week; now I'm under 6 per month, unless there's a social event every other month... during a wedding or a brunch weekend I can do 4/day. Tolerance is hard to judge since I now stretch out social drinks to roughly 1/hr. The upside is that the "3 drinks in--let's make this feeling last FOREVERRRR!" urge is gone too, and that urge always meant more drinks and hangovers. I didn't expect this effect, and I'm really happy with it! I'm also picking beers with lower APV (Corona Familiar instead of Flying Dog Raging Bitch).
 
Back
Top