Breathing-related side effects from reta?

hawwyz

Explorer
Joined
Sep 28, 2026
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
UK
Hi everyone, I'm completely new to this.

I injected 1 mg of reta from a 10mg vial, which came to 10 units.

What I went through afterward has made me hesitant. At the same time, I still want to give it another shot. My one and only injection was 11 days ago.

During the first hour my heart was pounding. That could have been nerves, since it was my first time taking reta after going back and forth about it in my head.

But the bigger problem was my breathing. There was tightness in my chest, and that made it hard to breathe as well. This went on for about 3 /4 days. The chest tightness eased up after that, but my breathing didn't improve for another 2 days.

The thing is, I want to see results, and I'm considering trying reta again but beginning at 0.5 mg for a few weeks. Would that be a good idea?

Has anyone here dealt with sides like these?

Thanks
 
hawwyz said:

Hi everyone, I'm completely new to this.

I injected 1 mg of reta from a 10mg vial, which came to 10 units.

What I went through afterward has made me hesitant. At the same time, I still want to give it another shot. My one and only injection was 11 days ago.

During the first hour my heart was pounding. That could have been nerves, since it was my first time taking reta after going back and forth about it in my head.

But the bigger problem was my breathing. There was tightness in my chest, and that made it hard to breathe as well. This went on for about 3 /4 days. The chest tightness eased up after that, but my breathing didn't improve for another 2 days.

The thing is, I want to see results, and I'm considering trying reta again but beginning at 0.5 mg for a few weeks. Would that be a good idea?

Has anyone here dealt with sides like these?

Thanks
A few points to consider:

Saying 10 units from a vial doesn't tell us much-

Volume and mass are the terms we use.

1 mg is mass, while 10 units is volume. If you used 1 ml of BAC for reconstitution, then that would line up.

The dilution ratio matters a lot here.

Is your vial 10mg/1ml?

That racing heart probably comes from nerves.. even though Reta is known to raise RHR, it wouldn't hit you right at the moment of injection.

What worries me more is the chest tightening lasting over 4 days, especially if anything else came with it. Did an ISR happen? Any rash? Any trouble breathing or a thickened tongue?

Those point toward a possible allergic reaction.

|My suggestion is to start by finding out whether your vial was tested, and what your COA reported.

Did you run it through a filter?

What were your recon total volume/mass
 
Just my two cents, but that sounds like anxiety to me. That being said, a rise in resting heart rate is something that's well documented, and so are significant heart rate spikes while working out in certain users. Nobody's forcing you to take reta, buddy.
 
Skidude said:

A few points to consider:

Saying 10 units from a vial doesn't tell us much-

Volume and mass are the terms we use.

1 mg is mass, while 10 units is volume. If you used 1 ml of BAC for reconstitution, then that would line up.

The dilution ratio matters a lot here.

Is your vial 10mg/1ml?

That racing heart probably comes from nerves.. even though Reta is known to raise RHR, it wouldn't hit you right at the moment of injection.

What worries me more is the chest tightening lasting over 4 days, especially if anything else came with it. Did an ISR happen? Any rash? Any trouble breathing or a thickened tongue?

Those point toward a possible allergic reaction.

|My suggestion is to start by finding out whether your vial was tested, and what your COA reported.

Did you run it through a filter?

What were your recon total volume/mass
When it comes to heart rate, I'm with you on the nerves. Breathing problems, though? That's something I've never come across personally. And I'm on the same page as @Skidude about the rest of it. Where this originated has me wondering, though I realize you probably aren't able to share that just yet. Was it 1 vial you picked up, or a kit of 10 vials, and was there a particular kind of BAC water involved? Seeing the COA would be great, or failing that, at least the results. For that 10mg vial, I'd add 2ml BAC, which puts your injection at 20 units when the dose is 1mg.
 
ladyj779 said:

Just my two cents, but that sounds like anxiety to me. That being said, a rise in resting heart rate is something that's well documented, and so are significant heart rate spikes while working out in certain users. Nobody's forcing you to take reta, buddy.
After a set period of time, the heart rate also comes back down. My own has settled at a normal 72 BPM.

Heart rate

In the Phase 2 trial, resting heart rate rose in a dose-dependent way. With 12 mg, the mean rise came to roughly 6.7 beats per minute, topping out near week 24 and then easing back toward baseline between weeks 36 and 48.1

That heart rate bump is bigger than the figures reported for Mounjaro (roughly 2 to 4 bpm) or Wegovy (roughly 1 to 4 bpm).4

Most likely this comes from the glucagon component of retatrutide. Activating the glucagon receptor increases the body's resting energy expenditure, which tends to push heart rate upward.
 
hawwyz said:

Hi everyone, I'm completely new to this.

I injected 1 mg of reta from a 10mg vial, which came to 10 units.

What I went through afterward has made me hesitant. At the same time, I still want to give it another shot. My one and only injection was 11 days ago.

During the first hour my heart was pounding. That could have been nerves, since it was my first time taking reta after going back and forth about it in my head.

But the bigger problem was my breathing. There was tightness in my chest, and that made it hard to breathe as well. This went on for about 3 /4 days. The chest tightness eased up after that, but my breathing didn't improve for another 2 days.

The thing is, I want to see results, and I'm considering trying reta again but beginning at 0.5 mg for a few weeks. Would that be a good idea?

Has anyone here dealt with sides like these?

Thanks
That comes across as an allergic reaction - keeping ephedrine or an epi pen nearby would be wise.

Should you decide to give it another go, .25mg or even less would be my recommendation.

And in the event it repeats, my suggestion would be to stop the reta & perhaps give triz a try.
 
There's already plenty of good advice here, so I won't pile on by repeating what's been covered — just wanted to say I hope you get everything sorted out.

My first Reta injection was on Saturday, and I didn't have any of that happen; if you mixed with 1ml of BAC, our doses were probably about the same. The only thing I noticed was a headache, and it felt a lot like the ones I got back when I first went KETO (which I'm NOT doing alongside Reta at the moment).
 
RandomCrew said:

There's already plenty of good advice here, so I won't pile on by repeating what's been covered — just wanted to say I hope you get everything sorted out.

My first Reta injection was on Saturday, and I didn't have any of that happen; if you mixed with 1ml of BAC, our doses were probably about the same. The only thing I noticed was a headache, and it felt a lot like the ones I got back when I first went KETO (which I'm NOT doing alongside Reta at the moment).
You'll probably experience a few side effects, though they tend to fade. I was fortunate and didn't get much of anything, aside from a raised heart rate that stuck with me all the way up to 10mg, and my wife is at 12mg with zero issues. Like I said, my HR has since returned to normal.
 
BNLFL said:

You'll probably experience a few side effects, though they tend to fade. I was fortunate and didn't get much of anything, aside from a raised heart rate that stuck with me all the way up to 10mg, and my wife is at 12mg with zero issues. Like I said, my HR has since returned to normal.
Yeah, when I move to higher doses I'm sure it'll hit harder, but my hope is that going low and slow keeps it in check. I said this in a different thread too, but my goal is to stay at the smallest amount that still gets me results. If reaching GW takes a bit more time, that's fine by me, and I'm not against going up if that's what's needed!
 
This comes across to me as anxiety. Even so, the internet is not the place to get a diagnosis or advice on what steps to take. Medication always carries some risk. Add to that the fact that you're using the gray market without a doctor watching over you, and the only person who can decide your risk tolerance is you. After you've figured that out, choosing what to do next becomes fairly straightforward.
 
Heart rate usually stays within a normal range, and like most side effects it settles down after some time. Regarding the breathing, did it start the day after your dose? It might be tied to nighttime acid reflux. I deal with that pretty badly myself at times.
 
hawwyz said:


Hey so I'm new to all this.

I took 1 mg of reta. 10mg vial. 10units.

What happened after has kind of put me off. But I still also want to try again. My first and last jab was 11 days ago.

For the first hour I had a racing heart beat. It may have been the rush due to me taking the reta first time after putting it on and off in my mind .

But the main issue was breathing issues . I felt a chest tightness and that affected my breathing too. It lasted around 3 /4 days. The chest tightness got better after that time but the breathing didn't get better until another 2 days.

The thing is.i want to see results and I'm thinking of trying reta again but start at 0.5 mg for a few weeks. Is this a good idea?

Has anyone here had similar sides?

Thanks

Click to expand...
What was the amount of BAC water you used for that 10mg vial?

One time I dealt with a mild breathing problem that lasted a few days. At the gym I'd become really winded doing stuff that usually wouldn't affect me like that. It has gone away since, though.
 
hawwyz said:


Hey so I'm new to all this.

I took 1 mg of reta. 10mg vial. 10units.

What happened after has kind of put me off. But I still also want to try again. My first and last jab was 11 days ago.

For the first hour I had a racing heart beat. It may have been the rush due to me taking the reta first time after putting it on and off in my mind .

But the main issue was breathing issues . I felt a chest tightness and that affected my breathing too. It lasted around 3 /4 days. The chest tightness got better after that time but the breathing didn't get better until another 2 days.

The thing is.i want to see results and I'm thinking of trying reta again but start at 0.5 mg for a few weeks. Is this a good idea?

Has anyone here had similar sides?

Thanks

Click to expand...
A few weeks back I began 1 mg of Reta. My heart rate has gone up by a few BPM, which seems to be the usual thing. I haven't noticed any trouble breathing, no palpitations, and nothing that feels like chest tightness. Could this be anxiety-related? Is fear part of what you're feeling?
 
Retaguy said:

This comes across to me as anxiety. Even so, the internet is not the place to get a diagnosis or advice on what steps to take. Medication always carries some risk. Add to that the fact that you're using the gray market without a doctor watching over you, and the only person who can decide your risk tolerance is you. After you've figured that out, choosing what to do next becomes fairly straightforward.
When it comes to reta, the only resource out there for figuring out 'what to do' is the 'internet'...
 
What probably happened here is that reta raised your heart rate, and that set off a feedback loop that produced anxiety-like symptoms. Several members of this forum have reported the same thing, and a handful have described full panic attacks. An allergic reaction can't be ruled out entirely, but it explains the higher heart rate less convincingly.

That said, I have no idea how high your heart rate actually climbed. Did you take a reading? What is your age? How is your health in general? What gives me some pause is that tachycardia together with chest tightness and breathlessness can have less harmless origins, for instance a reta induced arrythymia that compromises cardiac function, or even a mild heart attack. I doubt that is the case, but it may be worth ruling out: get a medical evaluation with an ECG, and if the symptoms come back on later doses, record the heart rate and think about getting checked out medically, particularly if the rate stays above 100 for a stretch, and particularly if you are older or have pre existing medical issues.

As a drug, reta sits in a fairly unusual spot: possibly hundreds of thousands of people use it, yet studies cover only a few thousand, so rarer adverse effects could easily show up only among those obtaining it from non medical sources. Based on what I have read on this forum alone, reta seems able to trigger arrythmias in rare cases, atrial fibrillation in particular, often around the time it is started, even if over the longer term its beneficial metabolic effects lower the odds of it.

One other path is to skip reta altogether and go with tirzepatide. Since the chances of reactions like this happening again are above average, the easiest way to avoid them is simply not to use it. Tirz can nudge heart rate up somewhat, but much less than reta does.
 
Back
Top