Brand-Name, Compound/Telehealth, and Gray Market: How Do They Stack Up?

For me, name brand and grey are clearly not the same. My doctor had me on biweekly dosing, so I built up a supply of pens. One week I used a pen, the next week I injected grey, and I could compare directly.

Name brand is the real deal. It kicks in inside 30 min, appetite suppression is overwhelming, and there's a mild headache afterward that I basically never get from grey. With the brand-name shot I can even taste the medication. No injection site reactions, no concerns about sterility or endotoxins, and fat came off fast...plus it ended up costing less than grey. Each injection day gave the same, predictable result.

Grey works, sure, but it isn't name brand and it never will be. Name brand isn't bac water plus a research-use-only GLP with mystery fillers. The brand-name formulation is cleaner and has been tested and tuned for delivery. Simple mass/purity tests might report it as "the same," but that misses the point. API quality and the formulation itself are what count. Like Diet Coke versus a store brand, or Advil versus generic ibuprofen. You can feel and taste the gap. That's exactly why their formulation methods are patented.

Down the road, I'm hoping there's a way to get cheaper brand-name Tirz. Fingers crossed. Meanwhile, I keep adding the good-enough grey to my freezer stash. The way things are going, ordering name brand from abroad could be my best option, the same way people get generic Retin-A overseas. And a random aside: I really want to try brand-name Reta/Elora, I'm sure it'll be wild.
 
When it clicks, it clicks...

TazaTaza said:

For me, name brand and grey are clearly not the same. My doctor had me on biweekly dosing, so I built up a supply of pens. One week I used a pen, the next week I injected grey, and I could compare directly.

Name brand is the real deal. It kicks in inside 30 min, appetite suppression is overwhelming, and there's a mild headache afterward that I basically never get from grey. With the brand-name shot I can even taste the medication. No injection site reactions, no concerns about sterility or endotoxins, and fat came off fast...plus it ended up costing less than grey. Each injection day gave the same, predictable result.

Grey works, sure, but it isn't name brand and it never will be. Name brand isn't bac water plus a research-use-only GLP with mystery fillers. The brand-name formulation is cleaner and has been tested and tuned for delivery. Simple mass/purity tests might report it as "the same," but that misses the point. API quality and the formulation itself are what count. Like Diet Coke versus a store brand, or Advil versus generic ibuprofen. You can feel and taste the gap. That's exactly why their formulation methods are patented.

Down the road, I'm hoping there's a way to get cheaper brand-name Tirz. Fingers crossed. Meanwhile, I keep adding the good-enough grey to my freezer stash. The way things are going, ordering name brand from abroad could be my best option, the same way people get generic Retin-A overseas. And a random aside: I really want to try brand-name Reta/Elora, I'm sure it'll be wild.

I had a hunch about this, though not many people seem to agree. That's really fascinating. I'll also settle for "good enough gray." Fingers crossed that prices drop a lot soon. 🤞
 
SoCalGirl said:

Has anyone here switched between GLP-1 sources — Lilly/name brand or a telehealth/compound pharmacy — and the 10-vial gray market kits? Did you notice anything different?

Personally, the only things I've run are gray market Reta and Cagri (does Cagri even count as a GLP-1??), and they work fine for me. It just makes me wonder whether the name brand version is any different. Is that a dumb question? 🤔 I'd really like to hear what you all think.
My first experience was a compounded blend of simiglutide and b-12. After shedding the weight, I switched to gray, and these days I only take a small dose of tirazeptide to keep my weight steady. Along the way I came across Semax, Lipo B, and Prostamax. I gave Selank a shot, but I don't like stacking it with Semax, and I'm no longer really interested in Selank. I also gave DSIP a try for sleep; it worked pretty well and I may pick up more.
 
TazaTaza said:

For me, name brand and grey are clearly not the same. My doctor had me on biweekly dosing, so I built up a supply of pens. One week I used a pen, the next week I injected grey, and I could compare directly.

Name brand is the real deal. It kicks in inside 30 min, appetite suppression is overwhelming, and there's a mild headache afterward that I basically never get from grey. With the brand-name shot I can even taste the medication. No injection site reactions, no concerns about sterility or endotoxins, and fat came off fast...plus it ended up costing less than grey. Each injection day gave the same, predictable result.

Grey works, sure, but it isn't name brand and it never will be. Name brand isn't bac water plus a research-use-only GLP with mystery fillers. The brand-name formulation is cleaner and has been tested and tuned for delivery. Simple mass/purity tests might report it as "the same," but that misses the point. API quality and the formulation itself are what count. Like Diet Coke versus a store brand, or Advil versus generic ibuprofen. You can feel and taste the gap. That's exactly why their formulation methods are patented.

Down the road, I'm hoping there's a way to get cheaper brand-name Tirz. Fingers crossed. Meanwhile, I keep adding the good-enough grey to my freezer stash. The way things are going, ordering name brand from abroad could be my best option, the same way people get generic Retin-A overseas. And a random aside: I really want to try brand-name Reta/Elora, I'm sure it'll be wild.
Honestly, that sounds like the exception rather than the norm. I can’t really say for sure, since I’ve never taken a trial dose of Reta myself, so there’s nothing for me to compare it against. In brief, FDA rules guarantee roughly 90 percent bioavailability for a generic. With gray, the dosing might be inaccurate, though purity tends to come back high in tests. After all, it’s only a short chain amino acid sequence (more complicated ones to produce, such as HGH, frequently test lower). I’m not sure about the taste and smell of the real deal. That strikes me as strange.
 
I've tried every route apart from sourcing gray on my own. The Tirzepatide straight from Lily did the job, no complaints there. One compounding pharmacy's Tirzepatide did absolutely nothing for me. A different one, though, gave me results that were solid. These days I'm far more satisfied running Reta and getting it through a middle provider that's been tested? Does that even have a label?
 
Before I switched to grey, Mochi and CoreAge RX were the two providers I used. Mochi charges a lot for Tirz ($279 per month), but for anyone who needs substantial doctor involvement and a lot of guidance, I thought they were excellent. After that I switched to CoreAge RX ($149 per month), which felt more hands off, though still very good and quick. Their customer support was unbelievably good.

CoreAge RX works with 530A pharmacies, and when I searched this forum I couldn't find any mention of them. A doctor with unlimited visits plus a nutritionist are still included. For anyone who simply cannot handle grey, I would definitely suggest them.

Neither Mochi nor CoreAge Rx has any connection to me. I'm just describing what I went through.
 
Seasonal1 said:

Before I switched to grey, Mochi and CoreAge RX were the two providers I used. Mochi charges a lot for Tirz ($279 per month), but for anyone who needs substantial doctor involvement and a lot of guidance, I thought they were excellent. After that I switched to CoreAge RX ($149 per month), which felt more hands off, though still very good and quick. Their customer support was unbelievably good.

CoreAge RX works with 530A pharmacies, and when I searched this forum I couldn't find any mention of them. A doctor with unlimited visits plus a nutritionist are still included. For anyone who simply cannot handle grey, I would definitely suggest them.

Neither Mochi nor CoreAge Rx has any connection to me. I'm just describing what I went through.
That's really useful information. Would you say the physicians at one or both of those places seemed fairly knowledgeable? My GP basically dismisses me — lol — and even suggested I go through an online provider if I'm after a GLP prescription, since getting it covered by insurance isn't going to happen. Seriously?!?
 
SoCalGirl said:

Seasonal1 said:

Before I switched to grey, Mochi and CoreAge RX were the two providers I used. Mochi charges a lot for Tirz ($279 per month), but for anyone who needs substantial doctor involvement and a lot of guidance, I thought they were excellent. After that I switched to CoreAge RX ($149 per month), which felt more hands off, though still very good and quick. Their customer support was unbelievably good.

CoreAge RX works with 530A pharmacies, and when I searched this forum I couldn't find any mention of them. A doctor with unlimited visits plus a nutritionist are still included. For anyone who simply cannot handle grey, I would definitely suggest them.

Neither Mochi nor CoreAge Rx has any connection to me. I'm just describing what I went through.
That's really useful information. Would you say the physicians at one or both of those places seemed fairly knowledgeable? My GP basically dismisses me — lol — and even suggested I go through an online provider if I'm after a GLP prescription, since getting it covered by insurance isn't going to happen. Seriously?!?
Honestly, he's completely right. And compared to plenty of other GPs out there, that's a far superior answer. A lot of them are clueless when it comes to glps, yet they'll confidently state things that are wildly incorrect.
 
SoCalGirl said:

Seasonal1 said:

Before I switched to grey, Mochi and CoreAge RX were the two providers I used. Mochi charges a lot for Tirz ($279 per month), but for anyone who needs substantial doctor involvement and a lot of guidance, I thought they were excellent. After that I switched to CoreAge RX ($149 per month), which felt more hands off, though still very good and quick. Their customer support was unbelievably good.

CoreAge RX works with 530A pharmacies, and when I searched this forum I couldn't find any mention of them. A doctor with unlimited visits plus a nutritionist are still included. For anyone who simply cannot handle grey, I would definitely suggest them.

Neither Mochi nor CoreAge Rx has any connection to me. I'm just describing what I went through.
That's really useful information. Would you say the physicians at one or both of those places seemed fairly knowledgeable? My GP basically dismisses me — lol — and even suggested I go through an online provider if I'm after a GLP prescription, since getting it covered by insurance isn't going to happen. Seriously?!?
Mochi was my starting point as well. Sure, there's been negative coverage about them on Reddit recently, but my own experience was positive (bonus: the medication arrives in reusable thermoses with slim ice packs—I plan to use one for my meds while traveling!). My appointment was a synchronous web meeting with an NP, and she was excellent! She didn't hurry me, showed real empathy, and after talking with her I felt hopeful and confident. Truthfully, I liked her so much that switching to a cheaper provider made me feel guilty about leaving her.
 
With the Mochi doctor, I had a video phone call and follow-up that was unlimited. As long as $279 each month doesn't scare you off, they know what they're doing. The titration side is something they truly get, you can reach them 24/7, and appointments are available the next day. Their meds also arrive in a metal thermos that's double walled and packed with ice. Compared with my local PCP, I thought their care was far better.

CoreAge RX gave slightly less care, though it still beat local. My sense is that with them, a patient has to ask for more help, but $149 for Tirz at any dosage from a 503A is a good thing.
 
SoCalGirl said:

Seasonal1 said:

Before I switched to grey, Mochi and CoreAge RX were the two providers I used. Mochi charges a lot for Tirz ($279 per month), but for anyone who needs substantial doctor involvement and a lot of guidance, I thought they were excellent. After that I switched to CoreAge RX ($149 per month), which felt more hands off, though still very good and quick. Their customer support was unbelievably good.

CoreAge RX works with 530A pharmacies, and when I searched this forum I couldn't find any mention of them. A doctor with unlimited visits plus a nutritionist are still included. For anyone who simply cannot handle grey, I would definitely suggest them.

Neither Mochi nor CoreAge Rx has any connection to me. I'm just describing what I went through.
That's really useful information. Would you say the physicians at one or both of those places seemed fairly knowledgeable? My GP basically dismisses me — lol — and even suggested I go through an online provider if I'm after a GLP prescription, since getting it covered by insurance isn't going to happen. Seriously?!?

He likely has a point, yet putting the prescription in writing for your file would still have been the right move.

My guess is that an online provider would have to issue some other, heavily "tailored" prescription to fit their flimsy justification for compounding. Strange dosage strength or timing, a useless allergen tossed in, fake grape taste, whatever
 
Back
Top