Brand-Name, Compound/Telehealth, and Gray Market: How Do They Stack Up?

SoCalGirl

Explorer
Joined
Dec 23, 2025
Messages
93
Reaction score
0
Location
USA
Has anyone here switched between GLP-1 sources — Lilly/name brand or a telehealth/compound pharmacy — and the 10-vial gray market kits? Did you notice anything different?

Personally, the only things I've run are gray market Reta and Cagri (does Cagri even count as a GLP-1??), and they work fine for me. It just makes me wonder whether the name brand version is any different. Is that a dumb question? 🤔 I'd really like to hear what you all think.
 
My first experience was with Mounjaro kwikpens prescribed through a UK pharmacy, and I've now switched over to grey. As far as effectiveness goes, I haven't seen any change. My current dose is 4.5mg taken twice a week, which puts me somewhere in the middle range. At higher doses or with larger grey vial masses, over- or underfilling might become more noticeable, and you may have to tweak your dose to match. Ultimately, I suppose it comes down to how sensitive you are to side effects.
 
My journey began with compounded tirzepatide, then I switched to gray tirz, and after that a person who had stopped their treatment gave me a few Mounjaro autoinjectors. Those pens were absolutely awful for me -- injecting felt like a tiny violent act. Whether the cartridge pens that folks in this community use have that same sensation, I can't say.

Across all of them, the effectiveness appeared identical, though the compounded version contained Vitamin B6, which I believe was behind the occasional mild whole-body itching I experienced.
 
Lowish dose Tirz has been my routine for 19 months. Lily branded stuff? Never touched it. My first 6 months were compounded, sourced through Noom & Mochi. The remaining 13 months came from grey, split across a couple vendors. The drug itself? No difference. Price and convenience? Totally different.

Compounded is nothing to avoid if price isn't an issue. Grey works fine if you can negotiate the pitfalls. Lily's price wouldn't get my money while other options exist.
 
There was this compounded product, Halorand or something like that. Pretty sure it's gone now. It was garbage, though. Particularly next to EL. No question that lyophilized grey is usually just as good, but like others have said, overfill. When it costs pennies per milligram, the grey sellers have every reason to toss in a bit extra. Who wouldn't?
 
After close to a year using EL's tirzepatide, I've now made the switch to gray reta—and honestly, I have zero issues with it.
 
SoCalGirl said:

Has anyone here switched between GLP-1 sources — Lilly/name brand or a telehealth/compound pharmacy — and the 10-vial gray market kits? Did you notice anything different?

Personally, the only things I've run are gray market Reta and Cagri (does Cagri even count as a GLP-1??), and they work fine for me. It just makes me wonder whether the name brand version is any different. Is that a dumb question? 🤔 I'd really like to hear what you all think.

Cagri and Elora both fall into the category of long-acting amylin analogues. They are sometimes called amylin receptor agonists. This works through a pathway distinct from glp-1s.

Tirzepatide from all three sources has been something I've tried...

Name brand ===> compounded ===> grey, and to me they all produce the same feelz.

Sema from a compounded source also felt identical to the grey version for me.
 
UghItsStupidNIHateIT said:

Do grey-market tirz vials usually carry b vitamins?
From what I understand, compounding pharmacies add vitamins (at extremely tiny amounts) as a way to work around rules, claiming the medication is a customized formula.
 
SoCalGirl said:

Has anyone here switched between GLP-1 sources — Lilly/name brand or a telehealth/compound pharmacy — and the 10-vial gray market kits? Did you notice anything different?

Personally, the only things I've run are gray market Reta and Cagri (does Cagri even count as a GLP-1??), and they work fine for me. It just makes me wonder whether the name brand version is any different. Is that a dumb question? 🤔 I'd really like to hear what you all think.
My wife and I are still making our way through roughly 2 years of compounded supply that I bought for us.

For myself, I've gone through compounded Tirzepatide sourced from ProRX and BPI. The BPI version had vitamin B6 mixed in as an additive, spanning doses from 2.5mg up to 12.5mg.

For around 3 months now I've been using 15mg from grey, and as far as I can tell the feeling is identical.
 
Grogu said:

SoCalGirl said:

Has anyone here switched between GLP-1 sources — Lilly/name brand or a telehealth/compound pharmacy — and the 10-vial gray market kits? Did you notice anything different?

Personally, the only things I've run are gray market Reta and Cagri (does Cagri even count as a GLP-1??), and they work fine for me. It just makes me wonder whether the name brand version is any different. Is that a dumb question? 🤔 I'd really like to hear what you all think.

Cagri and Elora both fall into the category of long-acting amylin analogues. They are sometimes called amylin receptor agonists. This works through a pathway distinct from glp-1s.

Tirzepatide from all three sources has been something I've tried...

Name brand ===> compounded ===> grey, and to me they all produce the same feelz.

Sema from a compounded source also felt identical to the grey version for me.
Same here — the very first compounded stuff I got came through my primary care doctor. During the same appointment where I asked about a tirz prescription, I was handed a baggy containing 4 syringes. The liquid had a red color, and I assumed it was because of B12 (though it could have been B6). I'll admit, that B vitamin gave me a pleasant boost of energy 👍

After that I moved to an online compounder, then a single vial source, and finally to grey. Apart from the added B vitamin, every batch of tirz has felt basically identical to me...
 
I began on Lily's Zepbound single-use pens and stuck with those for roughly 4-5 months. When I moved over to compounded (Mochi), nothing seemed different to me. I've just made the switch to gray recently, and again, I can't say I've spotted any noticeable change.

…the one exception being cost! Thinking back on how many $ I spent early on makes me mortified. I won't claim it wasn't worth it, since 2.5 years down the line I'm in such a better place physically and mentally, but it DOES make me cringe and sigh when I think about it.
 
Began with Lilly Zep for several months, then moved over to gray and have been on it for 3 months now — the side effects and the weight loss haven't changed. A lot of the time gray comes overfilled, which could explain why the weight loss has been greater on gray.
 
Haven't spotted this brought up yet, but plenty of folks believe gray hits harder than compounded or name brand. One explanation: gray vials frequently contain extra, so a supposed 10 mg dose may really be around 11 or even 12 mg LOL.

Meanwhile, that same 10 mg dose from Lily or a compounder is probably truly 10 mg, which makes gray seem stronger even though it's basically the same molecule.

I'm sure Lilly's product is a cleaner version than what we end up with, but after logging tons of time here and on reddit hashing out this exact subject, it looks like almost nobody can actually distinguish compound, name, and gray
 
I had been using grey, then it ran out. While I was looking for another supplier, I switched to Mounjaro pens at the same dose. Honestly, my grey felt more effective to me—and that's with two separate sources in play.
 
ToeMittens said:

I began on Lily's Zepbound single-use pens and stuck with those for roughly 4-5 months. When I moved over to compounded (Mochi), nothing seemed different to me. I've just made the switch to gray recently, and again, I can't say I've spotted any noticeable change.

…the one exception being cost! Thinking back on how many $ I spent early on makes me mortified. I won't claim it wasn't worth it, since 2.5 years down the line I'm in such a better place physically and mentally, but it DOES make me cringe and sigh when I think about it.

ToeMittens, please don't feel bad about the money. That's just part of what the journey costs.

🙂
 
ToeMittens said:

I began on Lily's Zepbound single-use pens and stuck with those for roughly 4-5 months. When I moved over to compounded (Mochi), nothing seemed different to me. I've just made the switch to gray recently, and again, I can't say I've spotted any noticeable change.

…the one exception being cost! Thinking back on how many $ I spent early on makes me mortified. I won't claim it wasn't worth it, since 2.5 years down the line I'm in such a better place physically and mentally, but it DOES make me cringe and sigh when I think about it.
After checking what a nearby clinic wants for Reta, I totally get it!
 
ToeMittens said:

I began on Lily's Zepbound single-use pens and stuck with those for roughly 4-5 months. When I moved over to compounded (Mochi), nothing seemed different to me. I've just made the switch to gray recently, and again, I can't say I've spotted any noticeable change.

…the one exception being cost! Thinking back on how many $ I spent early on makes me mortified. I won't claim it wasn't worth it, since 2.5 years down the line I'm in such a better place physically and mentally, but it DOES make me cringe and sigh when I think about it.
That's typical. The other day a buddy of mine mentioned he was on tirz and shelling out around 500 dollars monthly, covering both the doctor's appointment and the medication. I told him a whole year's supply could be had for just a few hundred. You should have seen his expression.
 
Gt3294a said:

ToeMittens said:

I began on Lily's Zepbound single-use pens and stuck with those for roughly 4-5 months. When I moved over to compounded (Mochi), nothing seemed different to me. I've just made the switch to gray recently, and again, I can't say I've spotted any noticeable change.

…the one exception being cost! Thinking back on how many $ I spent early on makes me mortified. I won't claim it wasn't worth it, since 2.5 years down the line I'm in such a better place physically and mentally, but it DOES make me cringe and sigh when I think about it.
That's typical. The other day a buddy of mine mentioned he was on tirz and shelling out around 500 dollars monthly, covering both the doctor's appointment and the medication. I told him a whole year's supply could be had for just a few hundred. You should have seen his expression.
If only someone had given me that heads-up back when $1200 was going out the door every 4 weeks for Zep pens! 😭
 
Back
Top