Booked in for genetic testing

lastresort

Explorer
Joined
Mar 10, 2026
Messages
439
Reaction score
0
Location
NorthEast US
Yesterday I saw a medical geneticist after 4 months on a wait list, and I laid out my onerous history with obesity, Hashimoto and low T. I was upfront that I use a grey market retatrutide...they had no idea what that was, so I gave them as concise an explanation as I could.

I worried they'd snub me the way plenty of doctors have before, but as it turned out they took my concerns seriously. Genetic tests are being ordered, focused on single gene testing for obesity and hypogonadism. Those results come back in 2 months. Fingers crossed I get some answers.
 
It's alarming that something as widely used as Reta is off doctors' radar. Moments like this are where my faith in a lot of doctors goes.
 
Do report back on how it turns out. Fingers crossed you get the answers you're after.

A health report came back from 23andMe earlier this year for me, and the upshot was an increased likelihood of emotional eating, type 2 diabetes, fatty liver disease and high triglycerides, among other cheerful findings that all point towards obesity. It did explain why staying fit has meant fighting myself every single day of my life. On the whole, surprisingly accurate.

It also said I'm likely to have a unibrow. Which I really don't, yet.
 
lastresort said:

Yesterday I saw a medical geneticist after 4 months on a wait list, and I laid out my onerous history with obesity, Hashimoto and low T. I was upfront that I use a grey market retatrutide...they had no idea what that was, so I gave them as concise an explanation as I could.

I worried they'd snub me the way plenty of doctors have before, but as it turned out they took my concerns seriously. Genetic tests are being ordered, focused on single gene testing for obesity and hypogonadism. Those results come back in 2 months. Fingers crossed I get some answers.
What is it you're hoping this test will tell you that traditional biomakers couldn't? Do you know which genetic biomarker or condition you're chasing? And is there an actionable plan for finding that biomarker? Is there an actionable plan if the search comes up empty ?

These questions matter, because the majority of conditions can be accounted for without genetics, and most of the genetic data that comes back isn't especially actionable to start with.
 
Habibibi said:

lastresort said:

Yesterday I saw a medical geneticist after 4 months on a wait list, and I laid out my onerous history with obesity, Hashimoto and low T. I was upfront that I use a grey market retatrutide...they had no idea what that was, so I gave them as concise an explanation as I could.

I worried they'd snub me the way plenty of doctors have before, but as it turned out they took my concerns seriously. Genetic tests are being ordered, focused on single gene testing for obesity and hypogonadism. Those results come back in 2 months. Fingers crossed I get some answers.
What is it you're hoping this test will tell you that traditional biomakers couldn't? Do you know which genetic biomarker or condition you're chasing? And is there an actionable plan for finding that biomarker? Is there an actionable plan if the search comes up empty ?

These questions matter, because the majority of conditions can be accounted for without genetics, and most of the genetic data that comes back isn't especially actionable to start with.
Even the actionable cases… "oh, you have one of those rare genetic conditions that setmelanotide is a good fit for!" Except running a GLP-1 still beats it.
 
Redz said:

It's alarming that something as widely used as Reta is off doctors' radar. Moments like this are where my faith in a lot of doctors goes.
That's asking quite a lot, particularly of a genetics specialist, when reta isn't even officially available. And no, my view is that reta isn't widely spread beyond a particular bubble.
 
Redz said:

It's alarming that something as widely used as Reta is off doctors' radar. Moments like this are where my faith in a lot of doctors goes.
well the decision is the doctor's...can't argue with free, so.
 
Redz said:

It's alarming that something as widely used as Reta is off doctors' radar. Moments like this are where my faith in a lot of doctors goes.
Mine is a 27 something year old, fresh out of graduation. When Reta came up she recognised it as a peptide. She's also aware I shouldn't be able to get hold of it in Belgium 🤣 That said she was relaxed about the whole thing and just flagged a few things to keep an eye on (galbladder among them). Getting my T tested is on my mind, so here's hoping she's as relaxed about TRT as she is about Reta 😉
 
SVT810E said:

Habibibi said:

lastresort said:

Yesterday I saw a medical geneticist after 4 months on a wait list, and I laid out my onerous history with obesity, Hashimoto and low T. I was upfront that I use a grey market retatrutide...they had no idea what that was, so I gave them as concise an explanation as I could.

I worried they'd snub me the way plenty of doctors have before, but as it turned out they took my concerns seriously. Genetic tests are being ordered, focused on single gene testing for obesity and hypogonadism. Those results come back in 2 months. Fingers crossed I get some answers.
What is it you're hoping this test will tell you that traditional biomakers couldn't? Do you know which genetic biomarker or condition you're chasing? And is there an actionable plan for finding that biomarker? Is there an actionable plan if the search comes up empty ?

These questions matter, because the majority of conditions can be accounted for without genetics, and most of the genetic data that comes back isn't especially actionable to start with.
Even the actionable cases… "oh, you have one of those rare genetic conditions that setmelanotide is a good fit for!" Except running a GLP-1 still beats it.
Well, at least I'll have it on paper that "my obesity is not my fault." Seriously , this one is going on Reddit.
 
Back
Top