Berberine

ghreid

Explorer
Joined
Mar 29, 2025
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Location
usa
I began taking berberine several years back, drawn in by suggestions that it could enhance insulin sensitivity. But then I learned that it interacts badly with a lot of the newer blood thinners. On top of that, a fresh study came out casting doubt on how it affects fat storage.

According to a randomized trial, using the supplement berberine did not cut down visceral adipose tissue or liver fat in adults dealing with obesity and metabolic dysfunction-associated steatotic liver disease (MASLD).

JAMA Network Open

Source Reference: Lei L, et al "Berberine and adiposity in diabetes-free individuals with obesity and MASLD: a randomized clinical trial" JAMA Netw Open 2026; DOI: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2025.54152.
 
Since I'm not on any blood thinners, I can share that berberine has made a huge difference for me when it comes to insulin sensitivity and resistance.
 
I use it for managing my blood sugar, and I can see that it works. My usual fasting bg reading in the morning used to be in the high 80s, but with it, the number dropped to 78-80.
 
ghreid said:

I began taking berberine several years back, drawn in by suggestions that it could enhance insulin sensitivity. But then I learned that it interacts badly with a lot of the newer blood thinners. On top of that, a fresh study came out casting doubt on how it affects fat storage.

According to a randomized trial, using the supplement berberine did not cut down visceral adipose tissue or liver fat in adults dealing with obesity and metabolic dysfunction-associated steatotic liver disease (MASLD).

JAMA Network Open

Source Reference: Lei L, et al "Berberine and adiposity in diabetes-free individuals with obesity and MASLD: a randomized clinical trial" JAMA Netw Open 2026; DOI: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2025.54152.
Even so, it brought down LDL, hs-CRP, and apolipoprotein B — every one of them a cardiovascular risk factor.
 
My doctor recommended berberine, so I took it for years. Once my dosage was raised for the last time, my digestive system got badly disrupted, and I quit it entirely. Within 2 months of stopping, I put on 10 pounds—that’s the reason I turned to GLPs.
 
I follow keto, and somewhere along the way it became OMAD keto. When I expect to land near the top of my carb range — say, yogurt plus a few blueberries — or when I'm at my daily carb ceiling, I'll take a single 500 mg tablet ahead of eating. So for me it functions mainly as a booster. What keeps me on it until the bottle is empty is the ChatGPT output below.

Where keto is concerned in particular, berberine might assist with:

  • insulin sensitivity
  • glucose regulation
  • triglycerides
  • appetite control
  • microbial balance during low-fiber dieting
According to research, berberine is capable of:

  • reduce overgrowth of some harmful/pathobiont bacteria
  • increase short-chain-fatty-acid–associated species indirectly
  • improve gut barrier integrity
  • reduce endotoxin/inflammation signaling
That said, it isn't simply a probiotic booster.
 
Green Banana Flour is something people ought to begin incorporating into their diet.

Just to be clear, this is not a promotion for D*le.
 
sheilarae74 said:

lastresort said:

Green Banana Flour is something people ought to begin incorporating into their diet.

Just to be clear, this is not a promotion for D*le.
Any particular brand you'd suggest? All I'm finding is green banana powder.
Yes, those are identical.

Whichever one works.
 
For a few months I used berberine to improve insulin sensitivity, and it worked:

  • Sept 2025: Fasting Glucose 99, A1C 5.1, Total Cholesterol 171, Triglycerides 162.
  • May 2026: Fasting Glucose 88, A1C 5.1, Total Cholesterol 120, Triglycerides 87
My entire life I've had trouble with low Vitamin D. My doctor prescribed megadoses to address it (50,000 IU of Vitamin D3 for 8 weeks). I stretched the course out even further, and scheduled it across summer so I'd get sun exposure too. 30 ng/mL is the clinical cutoff for sufficiency. My starting point was a deficient 18 ng/mL. Despite months of megadoses plus summer sunshine, I only reached 28 ng/mL — still classified as deficient.

My berberine dose was twice daily. Since Vitamin D3 is fat-soluble, it absolutely needs dietary fats and bile acids present in the intestines for uptake. Berberine changes lipid metabolism and affects how the body handles cholesterol and bile acids. Taking both "together" (during the same window) meant, in effect, that berberine prevented the D3 from being absorbed, so those huge 50000 IU doses were simply expelled from my body.

If you use berberine and also need to fix a vitamin deficiency (especially a liposoluble one), space the doses apart by several hours, or even days. Or ask your doctor about alternative Vitamin D forms (such as calcifediol, which absorbs far more efficiently — that's what I'm on now) so you don't squander your supplements and time the way I did!
 
Back
Top