BAC - 28 days?

SapphireGlitch60

Explorer
Joined
Jun 7, 2026
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
Location
Mpls, MN
I’ve got a 30ml Hospira vial that I reconstituted once, roughly 3 weeks back. Is it still okay to reconstitute with it again and keep using it for the full 28 days, or should this be thrown out?
 
I store my bac in the refrigerator and continue using it for months. Not once have I discarded a vial. I simply wipe its exterior thoroughly using an alcohol pad. In my opinion, the 28-day guideline exists for clinics to avoid liability problems. It is not the real duration before the product turns unsafe.
 
It’s likely okay for many months...

Pfizer’s guidance is simply to keep it somewhere cool and dark, and they advise against putting it in the fridge. That said, a few of the more knowledgeable folks in this community have pushed back on that, arguing that cold storage is actually preferable...so, whatever
 
amosmylove said:

I store my bac in the refrigerator and continue using it for months. Not once have I discarded a vial. I simply wipe its exterior thoroughly using an alcohol pad. In my opinion, the 28-day guideline exists for clinics to avoid liability problems. It is not the real duration before the product turns unsafe.
Thanks a bunch!
 
I figure it mostly comes down to how many times you’ve punctured the vial with a needle. Since you’ve only gone into it a single time, it likely isn’t as contaminated as it would be after repeated stabbings. There are folks who keep using one bottle for months.
 
Flash-BCR said:

It’s likely okay for many months...

Pfizer’s guidance is simply to keep it somewhere cool and dark, and they advise against putting it in the fridge. That said, a few of the more knowledgeable folks in this community have pushed back on that, arguing that cold storage is actually preferable...so, whatever
Appreciate it! Mine's stored in a drawer right by the ac vent, so that should do the trick!
 
I keep using it until the vial is empty. Right now, during this season, I store it in a cabinet in our laundry room. I'm in SW Florida, and with the garage door open, the inside of my garage reaches 95* at this time of year. That's also where my other supplies are kept, in a cabinet.
 
Testing done independently found that benzyl alcohol concentrations stayed at sufficient levels inside the vial through 90 days, then dropped noticeably by 120 days.

The 28 day "rule" comes from hospital safety procedures specifically; it doesn't automatically represent how long the product actually remains usable. Instead, it's built around reducing the risk that product cost gets outweighed by lawsuit cost if an "expired" product is used.

For your amount of usage, my personal recommendation would be to check out BAC sold in smaller containers.
 
Back
Top