jaguar
Explorer
To those who started out with a lot of weight to drop: did it ever seem to drag on endlessly before you could truly see any change?
I ask because 5 months have passed and I'm down 54 pounds, yet honestly the difference isn't obvious to me. My starting point was around 165 pounds to lose (and yes, I realize that's A LOT), so perhaps that's simply how it goes when there's a bigger amount to shed. I also wonder whether people with less to lose — maybe ~80-50 pounds or fewer — pick up on changes much earlier.
It just strikes me as so strange. Every piece of clothing I own still fits (nothing is dropping off me), my rings aren't loose (okay, looser, but I've been expecting that big moment when one slips off while I'm washing my hair.....still waiting), and in the mirror I could swear I look almost identical to how I did 54 pounds ago.
I'm doing weight training, sticking to a fairly strict calorie deficit, putting protein first, keeping carbs down...and I don't feel like I'm seeing much body recomp either. You'd think dropping 54 lbs would change everything! I have absolutely no clue where those 54 lbs went...because it sure doesn't seem to be leaving my body.
Don't misunderstand — I know 54 lbs in 5 months is a massive accomplishment, and logically I understand my body has changed. The biggest difference is that I can move around more easily; walking no longer makes my heart pound the way it used to, and ordinary activities don't leave me so wiped out. My brain gets that on some level. But my heart is sitting here like...what the hell? Is this what body dysmorphia feels like? I don't think I've ever had it; but I know I'm not crazy, there haven't been many changes or my clothes would be loose and my rings would be falling off.. so it can't be my mind tricking me when I look in the mirror.
Has anyone else been through this? When did that "Whoa...I actually look different" moment finally arrive for you? Were there small signs I should be watching for beyond clothes fitting differently or rings getting loose?
Maybe once I hit the 65 lbs mark I'll begin to notice changes in my body.
I ask because 5 months have passed and I'm down 54 pounds, yet honestly the difference isn't obvious to me. My starting point was around 165 pounds to lose (and yes, I realize that's A LOT), so perhaps that's simply how it goes when there's a bigger amount to shed. I also wonder whether people with less to lose — maybe ~80-50 pounds or fewer — pick up on changes much earlier.
It just strikes me as so strange. Every piece of clothing I own still fits (nothing is dropping off me), my rings aren't loose (okay, looser, but I've been expecting that big moment when one slips off while I'm washing my hair.....still waiting), and in the mirror I could swear I look almost identical to how I did 54 pounds ago.
I'm doing weight training, sticking to a fairly strict calorie deficit, putting protein first, keeping carbs down...and I don't feel like I'm seeing much body recomp either. You'd think dropping 54 lbs would change everything! I have absolutely no clue where those 54 lbs went...because it sure doesn't seem to be leaving my body.
Don't misunderstand — I know 54 lbs in 5 months is a massive accomplishment, and logically I understand my body has changed. The biggest difference is that I can move around more easily; walking no longer makes my heart pound the way it used to, and ordinary activities don't leave me so wiped out. My brain gets that on some level. But my heart is sitting here like...what the hell? Is this what body dysmorphia feels like? I don't think I've ever had it; but I know I'm not crazy, there haven't been many changes or my clothes would be loose and my rings would be falling off.. so it can't be my mind tricking me when I look in the mirror.
Has anyone else been through this? When did that "Whoa...I actually look different" moment finally arrive for you? Were there small signs I should be watching for beyond clothes fitting differently or rings getting loose?
Maybe once I hit the 65 lbs mark I'll begin to notice changes in my body.