Are crypto ATMs a thing now?

bamagirl26

Explorer
Joined
Jul 14, 2026
Messages
331
Reaction score
0
Location
NE
Ever come across a crypto ATM out there? I picked up a TooGoodToGo goodie bag that came with a coupon for a small neighbourhood market, so I figured why not and walked in. The place turned out to be the kind of slightly dodgy corner shop you'd compare to a 7-11, bongs and vapes on the shelves, every tobacco product and caffeine product you can name, mystery packets everywhere, kratom, basically the whole list of things I'd warn my own kids off. And sitting right there was a CRYPTO ATM. It got me wondering what the point of it is… which made me think that peptides probably aren't the thing the authorities are actually chasing. My guess is people hand over cash there to buy crypto without anyone watching?
 
As I recall it, KYC still applies at those ATMs, so all you're really doing is paying more for something a standard CEX would sell you far cheaper.
 
Hardly a secret. You still have to clear KYC somehow — normally online, with an account — before you can withdraw. What you're buying is fast crypto at scalper rates, 30-40% above the price Coinbase trades at.
 
bamagirl26 said:

Ever come across a crypto ATM out there? I picked up a TooGoodToGo goodie bag that came with a coupon for a small neighbourhood market, so I figured why not and walked in. The place turned out to be the kind of slightly dodgy corner shop you'd compare to a 7-11, bongs and vapes on the shelves, every tobacco product and caffeine product you can name, mystery packets everywhere, kratom, basically the whole list of things I'd warn my own kids off. And sitting right there was a CRYPTO ATM. It got me wondering what the point of it is… which made me think that peptides probably aren't the thing the authorities are actually chasing. My guess is people hand over cash there to buy crypto without anyone watching?
My honest first reaction was that the rest of the country underestimates how modern things are around here in Bama. On second thought, though, it looks like somebody found a decent money maker by taking advantage of the folks out in rural Alabama who aren't quite so well informed. Funny enough, Sweet Home Alabama started playing on the radio while I was writing this. Roll Tide y'all!
 
Nope, this one was in NJ, and I hadn't come across one until then. Are crypto atms a common sight these days
 
bamagirl26 said:

Nope, this one was in NJ, and I hadn't come across one until then. Are crypto atms a common sight these days
There's one in the liquor store I use — the big chain one... heh
 
They're everywhere here in Toronto. The fees are wild, mind!

That said you CAN feed cash in and have it come out as crypto, so if that's the route you want then......
 
bamagirl26 said:


Alguém já viu um caixa eletrônico de criptomoedas? Eu estava montando uma sacola de brindes da TooGoodToGo e tinha uma oferta para um mercadinho novo. Pensei: "Que se dane, por que não?". E quando entrei, era uma lojinha de conveniência meio suspeita, tipo um 7-Eleven, cheia de bongs, vapes, todo tipo de tabaco, cafeína, pacotinhos de sabe-se lá o quê, kratom e todas aquelas coisas que eu diria para meus filhos não tocarem. Enfim, lá dentro tinha um caixa eletrônico de criptomoedas. Fiquei super intrigado... me fez perceber que as pessoas não são exatamente o foco das autoridades. Será que elas depositam dinheiro vivo para comprar criptomoedas secretamente?

Click to expand...
I don't hold a US passport, and I'd rather not have this sort of purchase traced back to me, so crypto ATMs are what I use. No KYC paperwork is asked for below $2900, though the commission stings — roughly 9% on average. My picks are always USDT or USDC; Bitcoin's spread is far too wide for me, it can run up to 25%.
 
Back
Top