Anything nice at your work?

lastresort

Explorer
Joined
Mar 11, 2026
Messages
439
Reaction score
0
Location
NorthEast US
We finished a pilot trial for a new fiber project and it came out basically a success! Since this was the first experiment of its kind in our company's history, we had no idea how it would turn out, so it was a pleasant surprise that the results were far better than we had anticipated.
 
That's neat. Will your company actually sell this product, or is it only for research?

My pay is decent for very little effort, my office is large, and my coworkers are great. So it's a pretty good setup.
 
My job lets me enjoy 2 of the hobbies I like most, and provided I don't take advantage of that perk, they're fine with me using work time to make a few personal items as well. A fresh group of students comes my way every couple of months, and I show them how to get the same enjoyment out of a machine shop that I do. All in all, it's a pretty sweet gig.
 
gusterbuster said:

That's neat. Will your company actually sell this product, or is it only for research?

My pay is decent for very little effort, my office is large, and my coworkers are great. So it's a pretty good setup.
Pretty much the same here... plus, whenever I feel like it, they'll occasionally run product tests out at the range... Though it's been some time since I last did that,,, 😎
 
gusterbuster said:

That's neat. Will your company actually sell this product, or is it only for research?

My pay is decent for very little effort, my office is large, and my coworkers are great. So it's a pretty good setup.
Our goal is to bring it to market sometime in 2027-2028.
 
Pretty much retired at this point. These days I pitch in with a larger family operation, which only needs a couple months of my time each year. Before that, I spent 37 years working as an engineer in big oil, stationed across the globe in places that weren't exactly tourist destinations. The job was fine, but being retired beats it 😎
 
Yep, I stopped working a few years back and no longer visit the place. It was an excellent position with very high pay.
 
I'm employed by a lake association, and a few years back they had a nano-bubbler system put in. It's the same type of setup used in the reflecting pool, though those ran on ozone while ours just uses a reactive oxygen species. A reactive oxygen species is basically an oxygen molecule carrying an extra electron, whereas ozone has an extra oxygen atom. I pushed back against it quite strongly, since it's honestly nothing but snake oil that causes more damage than benefit, and the promises made about it outright violate the laws of physics. Sadly, they managed to get it approved and we went ahead with the installation. Fast forward 3 years, and our lakes became pea soup since Cyanobacteria can easily consume oxidized nutrients. Exactly what I had warned them about from the start. So the downside is it set us back 10 million dollars, but the upside is that through all of this I publicly embarrassed a whole team of scientists because my calculations were correct and theirs are now shown to be wrong, and I earned a great deal of respect from the community along the way. Plus, it's a very affluent area
 
frizzle-fry said:

I'm employed by a lake association, and a few years back they had a nano-bubbler system put in. It's the same type of setup used in the reflecting pool, though those ran on ozone while ours just uses a reactive oxygen species. A reactive oxygen species is basically an oxygen molecule carrying an extra electron, whereas ozone has an extra oxygen atom. I pushed back against it quite strongly, since it's honestly nothing but snake oil that causes more damage than benefit, and the promises made about it outright violate the laws of physics. Sadly, they managed to get it approved and we went ahead with the installation. Fast forward 3 years, and our lakes became pea soup since Cyanobacteria can easily consume oxidized nutrients. Exactly what I had warned them about from the start. So the downside is it set us back 10 million dollars, but the upside is that through all of this I publicly embarrassed a whole team of scientists because my calculations were correct and theirs are now shown to be wrong, and I earned a great deal of respect from the community along the way. Plus, it's a very affluent area
Researchers belong to the human species — greed, mistakes, and arrogance are all within their range.
 
Today I got to spend time with a few of the kids I like best, and 1 girl made strides during the summer! (Many children regress over the summer, so this came as a wonderful shock!) These days she’s able to leap onto a 10” dome all by herself, no hand-holding from me. 😁 There was also a brand-new thing we tried: going up a ramp that’s quite steep. She struggled with it, but she enjoyed every second. That big grin on her face made it such a joy and so fulfilling to watch!
 
lastresort said:

frizzle-fry said:

I'm employed by a lake association, and a few years back they had a nano-bubbler system put in. It's the same type of setup used in the reflecting pool, though those ran on ozone while ours just uses a reactive oxygen species. A reactive oxygen species is basically an oxygen molecule carrying an extra electron, whereas ozone has an extra oxygen atom. I pushed back against it quite strongly, since it's honestly nothing but snake oil that causes more damage than benefit, and the promises made about it outright violate the laws of physics. Sadly, they managed to get it approved and we went ahead with the installation. Fast forward 3 years, and our lakes became pea soup since Cyanobacteria can easily consume oxidized nutrients. Exactly what I had warned them about from the start. So the downside is it set us back 10 million dollars, but the upside is that through all of this I publicly embarrassed a whole team of scientists because my calculations were correct and theirs are now shown to be wrong, and I earned a great deal of respect from the community along the way. Plus, it's a very affluent area
Researchers belong to the human species — greed, mistakes, and arrogance are all within their range.
Right, they get paid too—so if a client brings them in to demonstrate a particular result, that's the outcome they'll aim for. And that's what happened here, but sadly a big lake and a little tank aren't remotely the same.
 
Back
Top