Anyone on Abilify?

David smith

Explorer
Joined
Dec 7, 2024
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Location
US
I was on it before, and it made me put on 30 lbs. (one of the usual side effects is that it makes you hungrier.) I think I likely have to start taking it again. For those of you currently on it, does your glp 1 offset the eating? Did it take a higher dose before the hunger went away?
 
I don't take Abilify, so I have nothing to offer on that combination. GLP-1s aren't negating it; their effect on appetite runs through another route, and quite a lot of studies now show sema and tirz continue to reduce hunger and weight when someone is also on antipsychotics, even the ones considered lower-risk such as aripiprazole. The standard approach is to titrate the way you normally would instead of raising the dose abruptly. For me, tirz was the one that silenced food noise, but check with your psychiatrist before restarting anything.
 
As a physician, my experience is that people taking abilify, strong antidepressants, and similar medications typically require larger glp doses compared to those who aren't on them.

That said, the majority do see results. (just like people who take no medication, not everyone responds)

So the takeaway is to go in expecting that a bigger dose will likely be necessary. Give it a try.
 
I had to start a glp1 as a direct result of abilify. That medication is the reason I became overweight. On top of that, I got a bipolar diagnosis that was wrong, and they kept piling on drug after drug. In the end it turned out I only have adhd, and I spent years ruining my life by pushing high side effect pharma drugs to their maximum doses for a condition I never had.

I realize that probably isn't much use for what you asked. The 1 that gave me few side effects was lamotrigine/lamictal.

Should you start it again, I hope it goes well for you.
 
amosmylove said:

I had to start a glp1 as a direct result of abilify. That medication is the reason I became overweight. On top of that, I got a bipolar diagnosis that was wrong, and they kept piling on drug after drug. In the end it turned out I only have adhd, and I spent years ruining my life by pushing high side effect pharma drugs to their maximum doses for a condition I never had.

I realize that probably isn't much use for what you asked. The 1 that gave me few side effects was lamotrigine/lamictal.

Should you start it again, I hope it goes well for you.
That actually helps. Back when I was taking just 2mg, I put on 30lbs. My hope is that I can offset it this time around.
 
Back
Top