Anyone gone beyond 12 mg?

lessthanhalf said:

In the trials, every participant is obese — the minimum BMI is typically 30, and the mean tends to be considerably higher — so it makes complete sense that larger doses are used in that setting.

Here on this forum, though, likely over half of members are not obese. They are either in the overweight range with BMIs of 25 to 30, or sometimes already leaner with fairly low body fat percentages, pursuing aesthetic goals or extremely low body fat for bodybuilding and similar. For that population, 12mg doses are genuinely neither suitable nor necessary. A year of 1mg reta was sufficient to produce an average 9% weight reduction, so it follows that those looking to shed modest amounts can do so at low doses, typically below 4mg. These drugs were never intended for that use case, and the studies were not built around it either. I get that even people who are irritatingly thin still want to be thinner, and that is their call, but the risk-to-benefit calculus is vastly different. Severe obesity carries very high health risks, so serious adverse events, even if uncommon, can be acceptable; those same health risks do not exist for someone who is only mildly overweight, yet the serious adverse events remain just as probable. A bodybuilder chasing a bit less fat will not be pleased when NAION costs them an eye — whereas for treating severe obesity, a small risk like that is a tolerable trade-off.

I am aware there are more than 2 groups here — the severely obese and the bodybuilders / mildly overweight — but for the purposes of this issue, splitting things into 2 camps does seem reasonable.

A recurring problem on the forum is when people in this latter category try to project their dosing logic or personal experience — usually low and slow — onto those with severe obesity, where the situation is simply not comparable. Those individuals are generally better served by doses and schedules closer to what the studies used, aiming higher rather than lower, and pursuing maximum weight loss that may still fall short of their target weight or the normal range.

And I think the endlessly repeated low and slow mantra really does lodge itself in people's minds, so even someone with 50 or 100 kilos to lose will often try to stay at unrealistically low doses, then wonder why it is not working.

The reverse seems less common: people applying severe-obesity GLP logic to those who are trying to lose a little weight or fine-tune body fat percentages.
Another point that keeps coming up: people say to just stick with the trial dosing schedule, but that doesn't automatically make sense. That schedule wasn't chosen because it's optimal — nobody actually knows what optimal looks like. It's a guess, applied uniformly to everyone. We're still in the early days of working out what the best doses are.

With any medication, I figure the lowest dose that works is the best approach. There's a saying: 'if it doesn't have side effects its probably not doing anything'. There's always some trade-off. It could be a higher chance of a rare problem, it could be extra cardiovascular strain, or it could be any number of other things. The important word there is effective. If it's already doing what you need, there's no reason to go up just for the sake of going up. When you notice effectiveness dropping, that's when to raise it. And it isn't a race either. Faster isn't necessarily better, its just faster.
 
5byfive said:

lessthanhalf said:

In the trials, every participant is obese — the minimum BMI is typically 30, and the mean tends to be considerably higher — so it makes complete sense that larger doses are used in that setting.

Here on this forum, though, likely over half of members are not obese. They are either in the overweight range with BMIs of 25 to 30, or sometimes already leaner with fairly low body fat percentages, pursuing aesthetic goals or extremely low body fat for bodybuilding and similar. For that population, 12mg doses are genuinely neither suitable nor necessary. A year of 1mg reta was sufficient to produce an average 9% weight reduction, so it follows that those looking to shed modest amounts can do so at low doses, typically below 4mg. These drugs were never intended for that use case, and the studies were not built around it either. I get that even people who are irritatingly thin still want to be thinner, and that is their call, but the risk-to-benefit calculus is vastly different. Severe obesity carries very high health risks, so serious adverse events, even if uncommon, can be acceptable; those same health risks do not exist for someone who is only mildly overweight, yet the serious adverse events remain just as probable. A bodybuilder chasing a bit less fat will not be pleased when NAION costs them an eye — whereas for treating severe obesity, a small risk like that is a tolerable trade-off.

I am aware there are more than 2 groups here — the severely obese and the bodybuilders / mildly overweight — but for the purposes of this issue, splitting things into 2 camps does seem reasonable.

A recurring problem on the forum is when people in this latter category try to project their dosing logic or personal experience — usually low and slow — onto those with severe obesity, where the situation is simply not comparable. Those individuals are generally better served by doses and schedules closer to what the studies used, aiming higher rather than lower, and pursuing maximum weight loss that may still fall short of their target weight or the normal range.

And I think the endlessly repeated low and slow mantra really does lodge itself in people's minds, so even someone with 50 or 100 kilos to lose will often try to stay at unrealistically low doses, then wonder why it is not working.

The reverse seems less common: people applying severe-obesity GLP logic to those who are trying to lose a little weight or fine-tune body fat percentages.
Another point that keeps coming up: people say to just stick with the trial dosing schedule, but that doesn't automatically make sense. That schedule wasn't chosen because it's optimal — nobody actually knows what optimal looks like. It's a guess, applied uniformly to everyone. We're still in the early days of working out what the best doses are.

With any medication, I figure the lowest dose that works is the best approach. There's a saying: 'if it doesn't have side effects its probably not doing anything'. There's always some trade-off. It could be a higher chance of a rare problem, it could be extra cardiovascular strain, or it could be any number of other things. The important word there is effective. If it's already doing what you need, there's no reason to go up just for the sake of going up. When you notice effectiveness dropping, that's when to raise it. And it isn't a race either. Faster isn't necessarily better, its just faster.

Going slower doesn't equal doing better—it simply means it takes longer.

What works right now isn't the same as what works over the long haul, and "works" itself is a pretty fuzzy measure.

Across the trials, every dose levels off on roughly the same schedule. That suggests time plays some role. As far as I know, nobody has looked into whether raising the dose after you've already plateaued produces anything meaningful, particularly when stacked against the schedules that were actually trialed.

"Everything has a cost" holds true for the slow route too. Obesity comes with downsides that are well documented, widespread, and severe. Plateaus set in as time passes. Again—what are the usual severe downsides of GLP drugs?

From the standpoint of someone big:

"It's not a race"—but why crawl on your knees when bikes, cars, and public transit are available?

Life throws things at you. I'd rather seize the opening and the resilience while it's there instead of betting everything stays in my favor. Shedding 80-100lb over 8-10 months at 1% w/w crushes taking 16-22 months at .5% w/w. That plateau timeline definitely starts to matter somewhere around 69-95 weeks.
 
I haven't moved past 2mg myself, but the guy who got me onto Reta has been running 15mg every week for more than 3 months and is still dropping weight. What really sold me were his most recent blood work results. It was the first time in decades that every marker came back normal. Tirz had stopped working for him.
 
woundcarping said:

5byfive said:

lessthanhalf said:

In the trials, every participant is obese — the minimum BMI is typically 30, and the mean tends to be considerably higher — so it makes complete sense that larger doses are used in that setting.

Here on this forum, though, likely over half of members are not obese. They are either in the overweight range with BMIs of 25 to 30, or sometimes already leaner with fairly low body fat percentages, pursuing aesthetic goals or extremely low body fat for bodybuilding and similar. For that population, 12mg doses are genuinely neither suitable nor necessary. A year of 1mg reta was sufficient to produce an average 9% weight reduction, so it follows that those looking to shed modest amounts can do so at low doses, typically below 4mg. These drugs were never intended for that use case, and the studies were not built around it either. I get that even people who are irritatingly thin still want to be thinner, and that is their call, but the risk-to-benefit calculus is vastly different. Severe obesity carries very high health risks, so serious adverse events, even if uncommon, can be acceptable; those same health risks do not exist for someone who is only mildly overweight, yet the serious adverse events remain just as probable. A bodybuilder chasing a bit less fat will not be pleased when NAION costs them an eye — whereas for treating severe obesity, a small risk like that is a tolerable trade-off.

I am aware there are more than 2 groups here — the severely obese and the bodybuilders / mildly overweight — but for the purposes of this issue, splitting things into 2 camps does seem reasonable.

A recurring problem on the forum is when people in this latter category try to project their dosing logic or personal experience — usually low and slow — onto those with severe obesity, where the situation is simply not comparable. Those individuals are generally better served by doses and schedules closer to what the studies used, aiming higher rather than lower, and pursuing maximum weight loss that may still fall short of their target weight or the normal range.

And I think the endlessly repeated low and slow mantra really does lodge itself in people's minds, so even someone with 50 or 100 kilos to lose will often try to stay at unrealistically low doses, then wonder why it is not working.

The reverse seems less common: people applying severe-obesity GLP logic to those who are trying to lose a little weight or fine-tune body fat percentages.
Another point that keeps coming up: people say to just stick with the trial dosing schedule, but that doesn't automatically make sense. That schedule wasn't chosen because it's optimal — nobody actually knows what optimal looks like. It's a guess, applied uniformly to everyone. We're still in the early days of working out what the best doses are.

With any medication, I figure the lowest dose that works is the best approach. There's a saying: 'if it doesn't have side effects its probably not doing anything'. There's always some trade-off. It could be a higher chance of a rare problem, it could be extra cardiovascular strain, or it could be any number of other things. The important word there is effective. If it's already doing what you need, there's no reason to go up just for the sake of going up. When you notice effectiveness dropping, that's when to raise it. And it isn't a race either. Faster isn't necessarily better, its just faster.

Going slower doesn't equal doing better—it simply means it takes longer.

What works right now isn't the same as what works over the long haul, and "works" itself is a pretty fuzzy measure.

Across the trials, every dose levels off on roughly the same schedule. That suggests time plays some role. As far as I know, nobody has looked into whether raising the dose after you've already plateaued produces anything meaningful, particularly when stacked against the schedules that were actually trialed.

"Everything has a cost" holds true for the slow route too. Obesity comes with downsides that are well documented, widespread, and severe. Plateaus set in as time passes. Again—what are the usual severe downsides of GLP drugs?

From the standpoint of someone big:

"It's not a race"—but why crawl on your knees when bikes, cars, and public transit are available?

Life throws things at you. I'd rather seize the opening and the resilience while it's there instead of betting everything stays in my favor. Shedding 80-100lb over 8-10 months at 1% w/w crushes taking 16-22 months at .5% w/w. That plateau timeline definitely starts to matter somewhere around 69-95 weeks.
The catch, though, is that the weight you drop might be 10% muscle in one case and 40% muscle in the other. Going faster tends to be harder on muscle preservation almost every time. So even though the scale moves more, you end up carrying considerably more fat and considerably less muscle than you would have with a slower approach. It is well established that rapid weight loss comes with high rates of muscle loss. Whether you go slow or fast, there are steps you can take to reduce muscle loss, but comparing like for like, the fast route costs you more.

Beyond that, I don't follow the logic that a plateau would happen while there is still room to titrate up. The whole notion of a weightloss window comes from the dosing schedules used in trials.
 
lastresort said:

The clinical trial went as high as 12mg, and between 8 - 12 mg the benefits level off.

Has anybody in this community tried a dose above 12 mg?
I've just taken 2mg and I'm looking to increase it in the coming days, though going to 8mg or above feels insane for me right now—maybe not for long
 
Began on 0.5mg, then increased to 2mg, and I've stayed at that dose for roughly 6 weeks now. I don't have any need or wish to push the dose higher. The results I'm after are showing up, and I'm hoping that keeps going!
 
j_nebulism said:

Began on 0.5mg, then increased to 2mg, and I've stayed at that dose for roughly 6 weeks now. I don't have any need or wish to push the dose higher. The results I'm after are showing up, and I'm hoping that keeps going!
What's your weekly loss?
 
BNLFL said:

j_nebulism said:

Began on 0.5mg, then increased to 2mg, and I've stayed at that dose for roughly 6 weeks now. I don't have any need or wish to push the dose higher. The results I'm after are showing up, and I'm hoping that keeps going!
What's your weekly loss?
Roughly 0.6kg each week
 
j_nebulism said:

BNLFL said:

j_nebulism said:

Began on 0.5mg, then increased to 2mg, and I've stayed at that dose for roughly 6 weeks now. I don't have any need or wish to push the dose higher. The results I'm after are showing up, and I'm hoping that keeps going!
What's your weekly loss?
Roughly 0.6kg each week
1.3lbs. These smaller doses still don't make sense to me.
 
BNLFL said:

j_nebulism said:

BNLFL said:

j_nebulism said:

Began on 0.5mg, then increased to 2mg, and I've stayed at that dose for roughly 6 weeks now. I don't have any need or wish to push the dose higher. The results I'm after are showing up, and I'm hoping that keeps going!
What's your weekly loss?
Roughly 0.6kg each week
1.3lbs. These smaller doses still don't make sense to me.
There really isn't much for me to shed. Only that persistent weight that wouldn't budge. For me, I'd say this pace is steady and healthy.
 
j_nebulism said:

BNLFL said:

j_nebulism said:

BNLFL said:

j_nebulism said:

Began on 0.5mg, then increased to 2mg, and I've stayed at that dose for roughly 6 weeks now. I don't have any need or wish to push the dose higher. The results I'm after are showing up, and I'm hoping that keeps going!
What's your weekly loss?
Roughly 0.6kg each week
1.3lbs. These smaller doses still don't make sense to me.
There really isn't much for me to shed. Only that persistent weight that wouldn't budge. For me, I'd say this pace is steady and healthy.
For example, that annoying bit of fat around the waist or stomach that won't budge?
 
lastresort said:

j_nebulism said:

BNLFL said:

j_nebulism said:

BNLFL said:

j_nebulism said:

Began on 0.5mg, then increased to 2mg, and I've stayed at that dose for roughly 6 weeks now. I don't have any need or wish to push the dose higher. The results I'm after are showing up, and I'm hoping that keeps going!
What's your weekly loss?
Roughly 0.6kg each week
1.3lbs. These smaller doses still don't make sense to me.
There really isn't much for me to shed. Only that persistent weight that wouldn't budge. For me, I'd say this pace is steady and healthy.
For example, that annoying bit of fat around the waist or stomach that won't budge?
Nope, the belly fat is still there. That said, I was never seriously overweight. My BMI tended to sit near the upper boundary of what counts as ‘normal’.
 
woundcarping said:

lessthanhalf said:

What I'm referring to is average weight loss, not the maximum weight losses. In any large group of people, there will always be a spread of weight lost. The best figure I'm aware of is 29% for reta at 12mg over a bit more than a year, but 50% of those people will lose more and the other 50% will lose less. And 5-10% will end up with very little weight loss. Until you actually try it, there's no real way to know how you'll respond, though diabetes and being male do not help. The maximum weight loss seen in a group isn't a good indicator of probable weight loss.

If someone is GLP naive and trying to fix severe obesity with more than 35% overweight, the most logical approach is to start reta and see what happens, then adjust doses up depending on hunger and weight loss and side effects, and worry about what to do afterwards once you hit maximum tolerated dose, 12mg or stall.

Let's say those are 3 paths in a sequence: “maximum tolerated dose, 12mg, or stall.” If tolerance weren't a problem, at which point would you quit raising the dose?

I'm not in any kind of crisis—just after some intellectual back-and-forth, minus the endless low-and-slow worrywarts.
On the subject of dosing, I suspect our thinking lines up pretty closely.

What's your take on holding steady at 4-6mg until the effect fades, versus moving up on a monthly schedule? I'd like to hear it.

My own path: began at 1mg every 3 days, now at 2mg every 3 days, which works out to 4.66mg weekly. After month 1 I went up by 2mg, and looking back I believe that was correct.

Nearly a month has passed at 4.66 and it's still working well for me. Honestly, even when I try to eat enough to maintain, I can't get near that amount.

So how did your titration go, and which do you favor: waiting for suppression to ease off before increasing, or just stepping up each month without pausing? My gut says stay at 4.66 until it stops delivering, and I figure I'll recognize the moment when it arrives.
 
lastresort said:

j_nebulism said:

BNLFL said:

j_nebulism said:

BNLFL said:

j_nebulism said:

Began on 0.5mg, then increased to 2mg, and I've stayed at that dose for roughly 6 weeks now. I don't have any need or wish to push the dose higher. The results I'm after are showing up, and I'm hoping that keeps going!
What's your weekly loss?
Roughly 0.6kg each week
1.3lbs. These smaller doses still don't make sense to me.
There really isn't much for me to shed. Only that persistent weight that wouldn't budge. For me, I'd say this pace is steady and healthy.
For example, that annoying bit of fat around the waist or stomach that won't budge?
I can still picture my dad in the middle of his midlife crisis once the divorce was over, doing everything he could to get rid of that little bit of fat. The poor man was putting away mixing bowl after mixing bowl of cabbage and saurkraut, squeezing the budget so there would be vegetables for us to juice, plus cans of spinach and turnip greens. He never stopped working his abs, convinced that would finally make them show.

It looked like absolute torture. I'm so glad that 15 years later we have the technology to pull all of this off.
 
birdwhacker said:

woundcarping said:

lessthanhalf said:

What I'm referring to is average weight loss, not the maximum weight losses. In any large group of people, there will always be a spread of weight lost. The best figure I'm aware of is 29% for reta at 12mg over a bit more than a year, but 50% of those people will lose more and the other 50% will lose less. And 5-10% will end up with very little weight loss. Until you actually try it, there's no real way to know how you'll respond, though diabetes and being male do not help. The maximum weight loss seen in a group isn't a good indicator of probable weight loss.

If someone is GLP naive and trying to fix severe obesity with more than 35% overweight, the most logical approach is to start reta and see what happens, then adjust doses up depending on hunger and weight loss and side effects, and worry about what to do afterwards once you hit maximum tolerated dose, 12mg or stall.

Let's say those are 3 paths in a sequence: “maximum tolerated dose, 12mg, or stall.” If tolerance weren't a problem, at which point would you quit raising the dose?

I'm not in any kind of crisis—just after some intellectual back-and-forth, minus the endless low-and-slow worrywarts.
On the subject of dosing, I suspect our thinking lines up pretty closely.

What's your take on holding steady at 4-6mg until the effect fades, versus moving up on a monthly schedule? I'd like to hear it.

My own path: began at 1mg every 3 days, now at 2mg every 3 days, which works out to 4.66mg weekly. After month 1 I went up by 2mg, and looking back I believe that was correct.

Nearly a month has passed at 4.66 and it's still working well for me. Honestly, even when I try to eat enough to maintain, I can't get near that amount.

So how did your titration go, and which do you favor: waiting for suppression to ease off before increasing, or just stepping up each month without pausing? My gut says stay at 4.66 until it stops delivering, and I figure I'll recognize the moment when it arrives.
For 4 weeks, my dose was 2-4mg, then 6mg for 7 weeks, until that final week brought no changes. Moved up to 7 for 2 weeks and started losing again. Just switched to 8mg, so Friday will tell. Side effects have been zero for roughly 2 weeks now. Guess I'm accustomed to it. Lying down at night, no heart burn.
 
Back
Top