lastresort
Explorer
The clinical trial went as high as 12mg, and between 8 - 12 mg the benefits level off.
Has anybody in this community tried a dose above 12 mg?
Has anybody in this community tried a dose above 12 mg?
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
lastresort said:
The clinical trial went as high as 12mg, and between 8 - 12 mg the benefits level off.
Has anybody in this community tried a dose above 12 mg?
lastresort said:
In the clinical trial, weight loss reached 22.8% with 8mg and 24.2% with 12mg, so the dose dependent benefit starts to plateau.
Retatrutide TRIUMPH-4 (68 Weeks)
Response Curve Comparison — 9 mg vs 12 mg
Threshold Achieved 9 mg 12 mg Difference
Mean Weight Loss 26.4% 28.7% +2.3%
≥25% Weight Loss 47.7% 58.6% +10.9%
≥30% Weight Loss 30.5% 39.4% +8.9%
≥35% Weight Loss 18.2% 23.7% +5.5%
Click to expand...
Do you shine as brightly as the sun?BNLFL said:
8mg is the top dose I've reached. I've only just begun it.
BNLFL said:
8mg is the top dose I've reached. I've only just begun it.
lessthanhalf said:
Usually, when you raise the dose of a GLP medication, you get slightly more weight loss, but the side effect burden grows much faster. The only agent that has actually been tested this way is semaglutide, in the 7.2mg and 16mg trials, and those results matched that pattern exactly. So you are looking at diminishing returns plus additional side effects, yet nothing in the data flags new or unexpected harms at the higher end.
A study of tirzepatide at higher doses is underway, but nothing has been released, not even which doses are being used.
Posts on here about larger reta doses are quite scarce, so it is not a common practice.
There was a study that attempted to project possible weight loss across various higher doses of GLP drugs; I asked chatgpt to work out the expected weight loss for 20mg reta using the equations from that paper, and it came back with roughly the mid 30% range. I have attached it here.
What I believe remains unstudied, and ought to be studied, is higher dosing in people who shed below-average amounts of weight while already on the standard maximum GLP dose, provided side effects were not what capped the dose.
Right now there are plenty of anecdotal accounts of tirz pushed as high as 25mg/w, but if the goal is losing beyond 30% of body weight, adding low dose cagri on top of 12mg reta is probably the more sensible route. My view is that when reta or tirz gives you few side effects but also little weight loss, a higher dose trial is probably reasonable, as long as the reason is tackling severe obesity, where the risks of obesity outweigh those of a somewhat larger dose.
lessthanhalf said:
What I'm referring to is average weight loss, not the maximum weight losses. In any large group of people, there will always be a spread of weight lost. The best figure I'm aware of is 29% for reta at 12mg over a bit more than a year, but 50% of those people will lose more and the other 50% will lose less. And 5-10% will end up with very little weight loss. Until you actually try it, there's no real way to know how you'll respond, though diabetes and being male do not help. The maximum weight loss seen in a group isn't a good indicator of probable weight loss.
If someone is GLP naive and trying to fix severe obesity with more than 35% overweight, the most logical approach is to start reta and see what happens, then adjust doses up depending on hunger and weight loss and side effects, and worry about what to do afterwards once you hit maximum tolerated dose, 12mg or stall.
How far you go up probably comes down mostly to the amount of weight you're aiming to drop. Say someone is only a few kilos above their target: 1mg of reta produced 9% weight loss across a year, so for overweight — though not truly obese — cases, smaller doses make plenty of sense. On the other hand, if the goal is shedding 25% or more, chances are you'll land at the top doses.woundcarping said:
lessthanhalf said:
What I'm referring to is average weight loss, not the maximum weight losses. In any large group of people, there will always be a spread of weight lost. The best figure I'm aware of is 29% for reta at 12mg over a bit more than a year, but 50% of those people will lose more and the other 50% will lose less. And 5-10% will end up with very little weight loss. Until you actually try it, there's no real way to know how you'll respond, though diabetes and being male do not help. The maximum weight loss seen in a group isn't a good indicator of probable weight loss.
If someone is GLP naive and trying to fix severe obesity with more than 35% overweight, the most logical approach is to start reta and see what happens, then adjust doses up depending on hunger and weight loss and side effects, and worry about what to do afterwards once you hit maximum tolerated dose, 12mg or stall.
Let's say those are 3 paths in a sequence: “maximum tolerated dose, 12mg, or stall.” If tolerance weren't a problem, at which point would you quit raising the dose?
I'm not in any kind of crisis—just after some intellectual back-and-forth, minus the endless low-and-slow worrywarts.
lessthanhalf said:
How far you go up probably comes down mostly to the amount of weight you're aiming to drop. Say someone is only a few kilos above their target: 1mg of reta produced 9% weight loss across a year, so for overweight — though not truly obese — cases, smaller doses make plenty of sense. On the other hand, if the goal is shedding 25% or more, chances are you'll land at the top doses.woundcarping said:
lessthanhalf said:
What I'm referring to is average weight loss, not the maximum weight losses. In any large group of people, there will always be a spread of weight lost. The best figure I'm aware of is 29% for reta at 12mg over a bit more than a year, but 50% of those people will lose more and the other 50% will lose less. And 5-10% will end up with very little weight loss. Until you actually try it, there's no real way to know how you'll respond, though diabetes and being male do not help. The maximum weight loss seen in a group isn't a good indicator of probable weight loss.
If someone is GLP naive and trying to fix severe obesity with more than 35% overweight, the most logical approach is to start reta and see what happens, then adjust doses up depending on hunger and weight loss and side effects, and worry about what to do afterwards once you hit maximum tolerated dose, 12mg or stall.
Let's say those are 3 paths in a sequence: “maximum tolerated dose, 12mg, or stall.” If tolerance weren't a problem, at which point would you quit raising the dose?
I'm not in any kind of crisis—just after some intellectual back-and-forth, minus the endless low-and-slow worrywarts.
When a dose is giving you zero side effects, the scale is moving down at a rate that seems perfectly fine, and you aren't fighting to keep eating under control, then bumping it up has no strong justification. The one genuine case for pushing higher anyway rests on the long-term health protection the drugs themselves offer — independent of weight loss — against diabetes and heart disease. If someone begins with a BMI of 40, or possibly even 35, one could argue that the cardiovascular risk from weight alone is almost certainly high enough to warrant using GLP's as heart disease prevention, and higher doses have been shown to outperform lower ones for that purpose. That said, the long-term health advantages are established for sema and tirz when baseline risk is elevated — meaning existing cardiovascular disease or diabetes — yet they remain unproven for the broader population. It will almost certainly be demonstrated eventually, but because events like heart attacks are so much rarer in lower-risk groups, proving it demands a far larger and far longer trial. For reta these effects likewise aren't proven yet, though they seem fairly probable.
TLDR Starting from an obese point and wanting to drop 25-30% or more of your weight, I'd raise the dose gradually toward 12mg provided side effects stayed manageable — but never by sacrificing overly rapid weight loss or ending up drained and miserable.
No — 8mg works for me at the moment, and I'm based in the "Sunshine State." As @woundcarping pointed out, side effects aren't an issue for me. They've simply faded. Friday is my injection day, and I'd typically get that full feeling plus heartburn when I got into bed. That's all gone now.Whiynot20026 said:
Do you shine as brightly as the sun?BNLFL said:
8mg is the top dose I've reached. I've only just begun it.
Bill
lessthanhalf said:
That reply covers pretty much all the bases, honestly — past 12mg and barely any side effects at all, along with very little lean mass lost. I'd guess there's some resistance training behind those results? Plenty of folks mention that GLP's, reta in particular, mess with their sleep. That hasn't been something I've experienced.
That's the most recent info I came across regarding the Lilly trials: 2-4-6-8-10-12. I keep a close eye on Lilly trials, and we remain at 6mg for 6 weeks. I don't recall the 10mg being part of it. I'm currently taking 8mg.Sid the SeaGull said:
Question for the group: from what I understand, the trials went through doses of 2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, and 12, and after that the person stayed on that same dose for the rest of the trial, which I think runs another 12-18 months?
So after the initial titration, most of the time the participant is on the same dose?
From what I've read, most people on the forum take a more conservative route and aim for the lowest dose that gets results. That seems like a different strategy, and probably safer. But the results might not line up with the trial data, so in my opinion comparing them to the trial data could be hard.
I'm enjoying this thread and the discussion, thank you all.