For as long as I can recall, my iron has been low — it just wasn't until recently that I learned what was going on.
The first proper lab result I got showed ferritin at 14. I began taking iron tablets, and after 10 months my number had climbed only to 30, which sits right at the very bottom of what counts as "normal." That still isn't where I want to be. When I spoke with my doctor, he sent me for an iron IV, and that appointment is coming up soon. Once it's done, the idea is to keep things stable using oral iron.
I'm wondering whether others here also struggle with ferritin that stays low long-term. Has it changed your everyday quality of life the way it has changed mine? And if you've received an infusion — how much benefit did you actually get, how long did that effect stick around, and could you keep your levels up with pills afterward, or did you wind up needing more IVs?
The first proper lab result I got showed ferritin at 14. I began taking iron tablets, and after 10 months my number had climbed only to 30, which sits right at the very bottom of what counts as "normal." That still isn't where I want to be. When I spoke with my doctor, he sent me for an iron IV, and that appointment is coming up soon. Once it's done, the idea is to keep things stable using oral iron.
I'm wondering whether others here also struggle with ferritin that stays low long-term. Has it changed your everyday quality of life the way it has changed mine? And if you've received an infusion — how much benefit did you actually get, how long did that effect stick around, and could you keep your levels up with pills afterward, or did you wind up needing more IVs?