Anyone else in really good shape and use tirz

johnny01

Explorer
Joined
Sep 12, 2026
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Location
south australia
For the last 10 years I've stayed in shape by boxing and running, but over the past 6 months my eating went completely off the rails. I kept telling myself "diet starts monday" again and again, and ended up putting on roughly 5kg. Food and I have never had a healthy relationship, and it reached the point where finishing 2 blocks of chocolate in less than 30 minutes became a normal weekend thing while sitting at the computer.

My doctor wrote me a script for monjaro and it has been amazing — I stayed at 2.5mg on my first pen and have never been this lean. Now though, I'm wondering whether I'm causing harm and losing muscle, even though I eat a lot of protein and also do compound weights. I'm also a bit scared of stopping the pens, since I don't want to slip back into my old eating patterns, but at the same time I don't want to be on this stuff forever. Anyone else?
 
Not quite sure what you're asking. For a guy like me, who's generally fit but goes through stretches of packing on weight and losing conditioning—winter blues make it worse—GLPs have been a miracle. It used to be a cycle: claw my way back into shape, slide off track, then struggle to return, over and over. At 38, I'm now in the best condition of my life, since these meds let me stay consistent, and if I do slip, the damage is tiny and I'm back on track the very next day.

Plus, it feels like fresh findings keep appearing about how much good these drugs do—inflammation, cartilage, insulin sensitivity, improved cancer outcomes, and so on. So there's no reason for me to worry about remaining on them. Not when grey market prices can be around 15 bucks a month.

As for muscle loss, that's basically a myth. You won't lose more muscle than the calorie deficit itself causes. The real issue is that most people on a GLP crush their appetite, eat nothing but 1000 calories of junk, skip training, then act shocked that they look terrible and point the finger at the GLP.
 
gusterbuster said:

Not quite sure what you're asking. For a guy like me, who's generally fit but goes through stretches of packing on weight and losing conditioning—winter blues make it worse—GLPs have been a miracle. It used to be a cycle: claw my way back into shape, slide off track, then struggle to return, over and over. At 38, I'm now in the best condition of my life, since these meds let me stay consistent, and if I do slip, the damage is tiny and I'm back on track the very next day.

Plus, it feels like fresh findings keep appearing about how much good these drugs do—inflammation, cartilage, insulin sensitivity, improved cancer outcomes, and so on. So there's no reason for me to worry about remaining on them. Not when grey market prices can be around 15 bucks a month.

As for muscle loss, that's basically a myth. You won't lose more muscle than the calorie deficit itself causes. The real issue is that most people on a GLP crush their appetite, eat nothing but 1000 calories of junk, skip training, then act shocked that they look terrible and point the finger at the GLP.
The majority here support the plan, but sure, plenty of folks elsewhere believe the medication will handle EVERYTHING, and they can keep making poor food decisions if they want...

Regarding the OP's point about not using it indefinitely, the odds of quitting and keeping the weight off aren't very high, though at least this community is a good spot to have your questions addressed....GL
 
To clarify, I was asking whether others who are already fit also take tirz, or whether doing so at roughly 8-10% body fat would be considered risky. Eating 2000-2500 calories and putting protein first to preserve muscle hasn’t been a problem for me, and I’ve never had this much say over what I eat. On cost, going through doctors is my only option for the moment, at least until I find something dependable.
 
johnny01 said:

To clarify, I was asking whether others who are already fit also take tirz, or whether doing so at roughly 8-10% body fat would be considered risky. Eating 2000-2500 calories and putting protein first to preserve muscle hasn’t been a problem for me, and I’ve never had this much say over what I eat. On cost, going through doctors is my only option for the moment, at least until I find something dependable.
The sole drawback I can think of when taking a GLP to stay at 8-10 percent is identical to the drawback of staying at 8-10 percent without it. A lot of guys see their hormones crash, sex drive drop, energy plummet, and feel cold constantly when body fat is that low.

If none of that applies to you, then keep enjoying maintenance with less will power.
 
Yep — I’m on tirz and plan to keep using it. Already being in decent shape isn’t a reason to avoid it; in my case it’s worked well for appetite and food noise, rather than something I’d only turn to as a last resort. Just make sure protein and lifting stay part of the routine, so the scale isn’t your only gauge.
 
gusterbuster said:

johnny01 said:

To clarify, I was asking whether others who are already fit also take tirz, or whether doing so at roughly 8-10% body fat would be considered risky. Eating 2000-2500 calories and putting protein first to preserve muscle hasn’t been a problem for me, and I’ve never had this much say over what I eat. On cost, going through doctors is my only option for the moment, at least until I find something dependable.
The sole drawback I can think of when taking a GLP to stay at 8-10 percent is identical to the drawback of staying at 8-10 percent without it. A lot of guys see their hormones crash, sex drive drop, energy plummet, and feel cold constantly when body fat is that low.

If none of that applies to you, then keep enjoying maintenance with less will power.
Honestly, as long as I eat properly I doubt those problems apply to me — but the cold hits me constantly, no matter what 😅
 
Flash-BCR said:

gusterbuster said:

Not quite sure what you're asking. For a guy like me, who's generally fit but goes through stretches of packing on weight and losing conditioning—winter blues make it worse—GLPs have been a miracle. It used to be a cycle: claw my way back into shape, slide off track, then struggle to return, over and over. At 38, I'm now in the best condition of my life, since these meds let me stay consistent, and if I do slip, the damage is tiny and I'm back on track the very next day.

Plus, it feels like fresh findings keep appearing about how much good these drugs do—inflammation, cartilage, insulin sensitivity, improved cancer outcomes, and so on. So there's no reason for me to worry about remaining on them. Not when grey market prices can be around 15 bucks a month.

As for muscle loss, that's basically a myth. You won't lose more muscle than the calorie deficit itself causes. The real issue is that most people on a GLP crush their appetite, eat nothing but 1000 calories of junk, skip training, then act shocked that they look terrible and point the finger at the GLP.
The majority here support the plan, but sure, plenty of folks elsewhere believe the medication will handle EVERYTHING, and they can keep making poor food decisions if they want...

Regarding the OP's point about not using it indefinitely, the odds of quitting and keeping the weight off aren't very high, though at least this community is a good spot to have your questions addressed....GL
On this forum, that idea is held by a lot of people. Yet over on a different forum, what I've observed has played out another way — individuals who kept their weight steady for 1-3 years, and among them some were on glp1 medication while others were not.

The reason the studies reported such poor success rates is that the circumstances differed from what happens in real life: those participants weren't leaving by choice — it was imposed on them. Nobody got them ready, psychologically or in any other way, for stopping, and at the start they likely had no idea whether they'd been assigned to the placebo arm or the arm that continued on verum. No tapering period existed.

If there's anyone with a solid shot at coming off it, it would be a person who has put on 5 kgs over the last 6 months.
 
Enyola said:

Flash-BCR said:

gusterbuster said:

Not quite sure what you're asking. For a guy like me, who's generally fit but goes through stretches of packing on weight and losing conditioning—winter blues make it worse—GLPs have been a miracle. It used to be a cycle: claw my way back into shape, slide off track, then struggle to return, over and over. At 38, I'm now in the best condition of my life, since these meds let me stay consistent, and if I do slip, the damage is tiny and I'm back on track the very next day.

Plus, it feels like fresh findings keep appearing about how much good these drugs do—inflammation, cartilage, insulin sensitivity, improved cancer outcomes, and so on. So there's no reason for me to worry about remaining on them. Not when grey market prices can be around 15 bucks a month.

As for muscle loss, that's basically a myth. You won't lose more muscle than the calorie deficit itself causes. The real issue is that most people on a GLP crush their appetite, eat nothing but 1000 calories of junk, skip training, then act shocked that they look terrible and point the finger at the GLP.
The majority here support the plan, but sure, plenty of folks elsewhere believe the medication will handle EVERYTHING, and they can keep making poor food decisions if they want...

Regarding the OP's point about not using it indefinitely, the odds of quitting and keeping the weight off aren't very high, though at least this community is a good spot to have your questions addressed....GL
On this forum, that idea is held by a lot of people. Yet over on a different forum, what I've observed has played out another way — individuals who kept their weight steady for 1-3 years, and among them some were on glp1 medication while others were not.

The reason the studies reported such poor success rates is that the circumstances differed from what happens in real life: those participants weren't leaving by choice — it was imposed on them. Nobody got them ready, psychologically or in any other way, for stopping, and at the start they likely had no idea whether they'd been assigned to the placebo arm or the arm that continued on verum. No tapering period existed.

If there's anyone with a solid shot at coming off it, it would be a person who has put on 5 kgs over the last 6 months.
Ummm, calling it a "belief system" is a bit of a stretch — these are findings that came out of test groups....They had data and all that.... 😳
 
My physique is the best it has been since my teenage years. That was 3 months back — since that point I've added further muscle and dropped additional fat.

Currently sitting at 11% BF, having shed close to 90 lbs. I'm beginning to compete in cycling. It feels as though I'm back in my 30s. V02 Max is nearing 60, placing me in the top percentile.
 
dustinst22 said:

My physique is the best it has been since my teenage years. That was 3 months back — since that point I've added further muscle and dropped additional fat.

Currently sitting at 11% BF, having shed close to 90 lbs. I'm beginning to compete in cycling. It feels as though I'm back in my 30s. V02 Max is nearing 60, placing me in the top percentile.
That's seriously impressive. Do you picture yourself eventually stopping it, or do you plan to remain on it for the long haul?
 
Flash-BCR said:

Enyola said:

Flash-BCR said:

gusterbuster said:

Not quite sure what you're asking. For a guy like me, who's generally fit but goes through stretches of packing on weight and losing conditioning—winter blues make it worse—GLPs have been a miracle. It used to be a cycle: claw my way back into shape, slide off track, then struggle to return, over and over. At 38, I'm now in the best condition of my life, since these meds let me stay consistent, and if I do slip, the damage is tiny and I'm back on track the very next day.

Plus, it feels like fresh findings keep appearing about how much good these drugs do—inflammation, cartilage, insulin sensitivity, improved cancer outcomes, and so on. So there's no reason for me to worry about remaining on them. Not when grey market prices can be around 15 bucks a month.

As for muscle loss, that's basically a myth. You won't lose more muscle than the calorie deficit itself causes. The real issue is that most people on a GLP crush their appetite, eat nothing but 1000 calories of junk, skip training, then act shocked that they look terrible and point the finger at the GLP.
The majority here support the plan, but sure, plenty of folks elsewhere believe the medication will handle EVERYTHING, and they can keep making poor food decisions if they want...

Regarding the OP's point about not using it indefinitely, the odds of quitting and keeping the weight off aren't very high, though at least this community is a good spot to have your questions addressed....GL
On this forum, that idea is held by a lot of people. Yet over on a different forum, what I've observed has played out another way — individuals who kept their weight steady for 1-3 years, and among them some were on glp1 medication while others were not.

The reason the studies reported such poor success rates is that the circumstances differed from what happens in real life: those participants weren't leaving by choice — it was imposed on them. Nobody got them ready, psychologically or in any other way, for stopping, and at the start they likely had no idea whether they'd been assigned to the placebo arm or the arm that continued on verum. No tapering period existed.

If there's anyone with a solid shot at coming off it, it would be a person who has put on 5 kgs over the last 6 months.
Ummm, calling it a "belief system" is a bit of a stretch — these are findings that came out of test groups....They had data and all that.... 😳
These are the subject of my second paragraph.
 
johnny01 said:

dustinst22 said:

My physique is the best it has been since my teenage years. That was 3 months back — since that point I've added further muscle and dropped additional fat.

Currently sitting at 11% BF, having shed close to 90 lbs. I'm beginning to compete in cycling. It feels as though I'm back in my 30s. V02 Max is nearing 60, placing me in the top percentile.
That's seriously impressive. Do you picture yourself eventually stopping it, or do you plan to remain on it for the long haul?
I picture myself sticking with this permanently, or at least until a superior option appears. It has completely changed things, and I can't find any justification for quitting. The advantages extend well past simply losing weight.
 
Man, respect to those of you who've gotten under 12 percent. When it came to my own body fat percentage, I was kidding myself. A Dexa done around the time of my profile pic had me at 12.8 percent, but I figured that number was wrong and assumed I was at 15 percent. Now that I'm cutting ahead of my winter bulk, I've realized that at 197lbs I was probably nearer 17 percent. Given my frame and current build at 6'2'', 12 percent would likely mean around 180ish.
 
Back
Top