ochoseis
Explorer
Going to get a bit vulnerable here...
I've got a whole collection of conditions: PCOS, T2D, HS. Managing blood sugar and diet has been a lifelong tightrope walk for me.
For the one that's brought the most suffering, hidradenitis suppurativa, I've attempted (and largely pulled off!) a range of approaches over the years. In 33yrs, only a single one has ever needed lancing, so I count that as a win, but wow.
1500mg of metformin made zero difference (not that I was counting on it to. Back then I hadn't even heard of HS, and I was too ashamed to mention it.)
Stopping smoking meant fewer flares.
Keto took weight off (which also kept my glucose nicely in check), and I went roughly 3 years flare-free and began pampering the scars. Daily glycolic acid has brought serious improvement—my right armpit could honestly be mistaken for a normal one lol. Lefty has always been the worse side but it's coming along as well.
Naturally I strayed from keto, put a lot of weight back on, but I never brought back the foods that triggered me worst (pasta, pizza or ice cream would practically guarantee a golfball sized boil within a day or two.) Keto gave me solid food habits and there are plenty of things I still avoid or skip because they're no longer favorites.
After starting tirzepatide, I continue eating fairly low carb. My A1C remains in normal range. Most recent fasting blood sugar was 89. My periods are completely regular even though I'm no longer on birth control (long story.)
I know I'm extremely lucky that this hasn't worsened or been worse, but I just wanted to share and find out if others have dealt with it and what worked or didn't.
Since beginning tirzepatide in December, I've stayed pretty "flare free." One showed up in March when my period came, I had a rough cold, and work stress was through the roof. I noticed it cleared up pretty fast without me doing anything, and now there's no trace of it. The pain was much milder too, even given how big it was and where it sat.
I've got a whole collection of conditions: PCOS, T2D, HS. Managing blood sugar and diet has been a lifelong tightrope walk for me.
For the one that's brought the most suffering, hidradenitis suppurativa, I've attempted (and largely pulled off!) a range of approaches over the years. In 33yrs, only a single one has ever needed lancing, so I count that as a win, but wow.
1500mg of metformin made zero difference (not that I was counting on it to. Back then I hadn't even heard of HS, and I was too ashamed to mention it.)
Stopping smoking meant fewer flares.
Keto took weight off (which also kept my glucose nicely in check), and I went roughly 3 years flare-free and began pampering the scars. Daily glycolic acid has brought serious improvement—my right armpit could honestly be mistaken for a normal one lol. Lefty has always been the worse side but it's coming along as well.
Naturally I strayed from keto, put a lot of weight back on, but I never brought back the foods that triggered me worst (pasta, pizza or ice cream would practically guarantee a golfball sized boil within a day or two.) Keto gave me solid food habits and there are plenty of things I still avoid or skip because they're no longer favorites.
After starting tirzepatide, I continue eating fairly low carb. My A1C remains in normal range. Most recent fasting blood sugar was 89. My periods are completely regular even though I'm no longer on birth control (long story.)
I know I'm extremely lucky that this hasn't worsened or been worse, but I just wanted to share and find out if others have dealt with it and what worked or didn't.
Since beginning tirzepatide in December, I've stayed pretty "flare free." One showed up in March when my period came, I had a rough cold, and work stress was through the roof. I noticed it cleared up pretty fast without me doing anything, and now there's no trace of it. The pain was much milder too, even given how big it was and where it sat.