AI review of 400,000 Reddit posts highlights overlooked GLP-1 side effects

Mr.Tired

Explorer
Joined
Nov 14, 2025
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Location
Midwest USA
It's good to see this kind of work being done, and I appreciate that the team doesn't shy away from pointing out what their approach can't prove.

What I'd like next is the same treatment for communities like ours, plus the rest of the peptides out there.

From the article: the authors stress that nothing here establishes causation. Neil Sehgal — first author on the paper and a doctoral student in CIS, working under Guntuku and Ungar — puts it this way: [[Q1]]

He goes on to note that roughly 4% of the Reddit users they sampled mentioned menstrual irregularities, a figure he expects would climb if the sample were restricted to women. In his view, that pattern deserves a closer look.


https://medicalxpress.com/news/2026-04-ai-scans-reddit-flag-overlooked.html
 
Quite intriguing, though this isn't a controlled study (or a product). I understand the purpose—simple markers that could be incorporated for monitoring in upcoming phased trials.
 
UpDownLeftRightAS* said:

Quite intriguing, though this isn't a controlled study (or a product). I understand the purpose—simple markers that could be incorporated for monitoring in upcoming phased trials.
You're right that uncontrolled, individual anecdotes don't meet the standard of an "official study," but they still serve a purpose in the bigger picture.

Once that data is aggregated, official researchers could take a closer look at those anecdotes — searching for signals they might have missed otherwise.
 
Using the tech this way strikes me as a solid idea. A real signal exists and deserves further investigation, though it comes buried in a huge amount of noise. The problem with that particular figure is that, by definition, only the people dealing with problems are the ones who speak up. Nobody signs in just to announce that their cycle hasn't shifted at all after starting GLPs. That means 4% is probably well under 4%.
 
5byfive said:

Using the tech this way strikes me as a solid idea. A real signal exists and deserves further investigation, though it comes buried in a huge amount of noise. The problem with that particular figure is that, by definition, only the people dealing with problems are the ones who speak up. Nobody signs in just to announce that their cycle hasn't shifted at all after starting GLPs. That means 4% is probably well under 4%.
What exactly makes up that 4%? Is it 4% of every user?

Not at all — the wording here is:

Nearly 4% of users who reported side effects described reproductive symptoms, including menstrual changes such as intermenstrual bleeding, heavy bleeding, and irregular cycles.

Click to expand...
 
A fascinating example. That said, there's still plenty of clutter to filter out. This is particularly true for the shifts in menstruation. It raises the question of whether some of those people might have had PCOS or another reproductive disorder beneath the surface, with a portion of them perhaps never diagnosed. And then you're left trying to sort out whether the GLP1 was responsible or the pre-existing condition?
 
Correlation is not causation.

A large number of these women already had conditions such as PCOS going in. When those problems begin to be "treated" — through weight loss, stabilized blood sugar, and so on — their bodies may return to a more normal state, including for some who had gone years without a real period.

Working out what is actually going on will require a thorough study.
 
CandyCap said:

Correlation is not causation.

A large number of these women already had conditions such as PCOS going in. When those problems begin to be "treated" — through weight loss, stabilized blood sugar, and so on — their bodies may return to a more normal state, including for some who had gone years without a real period.

Working out what is actually going on will require a thorough study.
… Even so, it contributes something useful to the research: after controlled studies work these questions out, the remaining variables can be separated and it can be established whether the drug — or whatever else is being studied — was actually responsible, or whether the change came from other factors such as weight loss, blood sugar, and so on, as you pointed out.
 
GTS97 said:


… But it’s still helpful to the research because once these things are figured out in controlled studies, then these other variables can be isolated and determined if it (the drug/whatever subject of study) did help or if it was because of other factors — weight loss, blood sugar, etc. as you mentioned.

Click to expand...
No one claimed it lacked usefulness. The point is simply that correlation does not automatically mean causation....in short, "Don't panic before more scientific data comes in"
 
That is genuinely fascinating. Speaking from my own experience, my cycles have been all over the place and my body's temperature regulation has been off ever since I started reta, so I would really like to see this looked into more through proper trials.
 
Most likely, this is caused by fast weight loss overall, or at minimum that plays a role.

The same applies to losing bone density.
 
That's certainly a method for spotting safety signals. Given how many people are using Reta—far more than in any trial—these reports, though anecdotal, could allow safety signals to be tracked without liability before the approved product launches.

A very budget-friendly approach to monitoring ahead of widespread release and the lawsuits that will surely follow.
 
TLDR- below is a summary of the real data that the article cited.




9d42b051bd312a56dfaa826a1523a874427e5381d3dc74c1f9c42c7600490f4b.webp
 
GTS97 said:

UpDownLeftRightAS* said:

Quite intriguing, though this isn't a controlled study (or a product). I understand the purpose—simple markers that could be incorporated for monitoring in upcoming phased trials.
You're right that uncontrolled, individual anecdotes don't meet the standard of an "official study," but they still serve a purpose in the bigger picture.

Once that data is aggregated, official researchers could take a closer look at those anecdotes — searching for signals they might have missed otherwise.
Absolutely. And that includes data from off-label use or going past the recommended ranges. There are plenty of first-time user reports being posted that come across as... over the top.
 
For some time now I've had irregular cycles along with heavy bleeding between periods, and I assumed my oral contraceptive was the culprit. Then I finally put 2 and 2 together: everything began once I started reta. My very first dose actually landed during my cycle.

PCOS, fibroids, nothing of that sort has ever been diagnosed in me, and my cycles were never irregular before this. Rapid weight loss doesn't explain it in my case either, since I began at a very low dose and moved up very slowly.
 
That's pretty fascinating, particularly the part about menstrual cycles. From what others have shared, I figured being on GLPs could somewhat improve minor hormonal imbalances—yet for some individuals, it may do the reverse. It'll be interesting to find out whether this shapes upcoming research studies, if it does at all.
 
Since last summer my cycles have been irregular. I figured it was perimenopause — and it still could be — but that's also around when I began tirz. It doesn't worry me much. People seem to assume that a woman will be consumed by anxiety if she doesn't bleed for x days out of every y days, yet I wasn't even the person who picked up on the change. My work wife brought it up, I said oh, that's unusual, and then I went right back to barely registering it at all.
 
I've used GLPs for close to 3 years, starting and stopping along the way. My cycle has stayed regular the whole time, though I was also on OCP until roughly a month ago. Now that I've stopped the OCP, it'll be interesting to find out whether anything shifts.
 
Back
Top