After holding for 10 seconds with a pen, does anyone else get a drop or 2?

_220Progress

Explorer
Joined
Jun 22, 2026
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
Location
Florida
We’ve been using pens for a while now. Both V1 and V3 are in our rotation.

Lately, though, I’ve seen 1 drip—or occasionally as many as three—once the injection is done.

How it goes:

Give the shot

Usually insert at a 45 degree angle

Wait while counting down from 10

Pull the needle out

This didn’t use to happen. I’m wondering whether others have run into the same thing, and if so, what explanation did you land on?
 
Pens don't work for me. If that's happening, it means there's still pressure behind the injection and your body is resisting it. A pen ought to go in straight, not at a 45deg angle. On top of that, if you just bump or bend that fine needle slightly, the inside closes off, so it may be worth swapping the needle tip.

I'm 100% in the old-school needle camp. You watch the numbers and the plunger advance to the next number, plain and simple. My routine is to load the syringe all the way to 1ml and keep going until it's empty, then throw it out. With some syringes you can put a fresh needle on the end, but don't get ya different peps mixed up.

I'm sure other folks do things their own way.
 
After a pin, I almost never notice it, yet once the new tip goes on, a drop frequently appears. To me, 3 drops following a pin feels excessive. Have you checked your pens for unit accuracy?
 
T.Bird said:

Pens don't work for me. If that's happening, it means there's still pressure behind the injection and your body is resisting it. A pen ought to go in straight, not at a 45deg angle. On top of that, if you just bump or bend that fine needle slightly, the inside closes off, so it may be worth swapping the needle tip.

I'm 100% in the old-school needle camp. You watch the numbers and the plunger advance to the next number, plain and simple. My routine is to load the syringe all the way to 1ml and keep going until it's empty, then throw it out. With some syringes you can put a fresh needle on the end, but don't get ya different peps mixed up.

I'm sure other folks do things their own way.
From what you describe, it sounds like one syringe is being used for several doses.

That means it is being exposed to staph and other problems, and once you store it, it is no longer sterile.

If I have understood your practice correctly, please think about paying the extra 20cents to use a fresh one every time.

here is an overview by google:

Using the same needle for more than one dose is risky, since its sterility and structure break down quickly. Bacteria get introduced on the first use and then multiply. The tip also bends and dulls, which causes notable tissue damage. [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]

The main arguments for a brand-new needle with every dose are:

  • Severe Infection Risk: As soon as a needle goes through the skin, bacteria are on it. If it is reused, those pathogens can be carried straight into the body, leading to skin infections (cellulitis), abscesses, or bloodborne illnesses. [1, 2]
  • Increased Pain and Scarring: Needles come with a fine, smooth coating and an ultra-sharp tip. One use bends the microscopic tip and removes its silicone lubricant. When a blunted needle is reused, it creates micro-tears in the skin, which means much more pain, bruising, and long-term tissue damage (such as fatty tissue buildup at the injection site). [1, 2, 3]
  • Dosing Inaccuracy and Breakage: A reused needle may clog with tissue or dried medication, which changes how much medication is actually delivered. In extreme cases, a damaged needle can even snap off under the skin, requiring surgery to remov
 
_220Progress said:

We’ve been using pens for a while now. Both V1 and V3 are in our rotation.

Lately, though, I’ve seen 1 drip—or occasionally as many as three—once the injection is done.

How it goes:

Give the shot

Usually insert at a 45 degree angle

Wait while counting down from 10

Pull the needle out

This didn’t use to happen. I’m wondering whether others have run into the same thing, and if so, what explanation did you land on?
I follow your method to the letter, except I begin by lifting a pinched fold of skin and then let the pinch go while I count to 10. Every one of my pens is a V2.

A tiny droplet at the needle tip shows up often for me too. It stays put rather than falling, and it's never more than 1 drop. Could the pinch-and-release be what prevents more?

Edit to add: given how clumsy my motor skills are, someday that skin pinch is going to end with me stabbing my thumb. Would that change how well it works?
 
RaveBaddie said:

Yep, that happens to me too — my Gansulin autopen does it after each pin.

Still, it's only 1 drop, so it doesn't bother me.
Strange thing is, out of the 4 Gansulin pens I use for pinning, just 1 does this. That one is my KLOW, so could the stuff inside be responsible? Or do I just spot it more easily since it's blue?
 
ScubaSteve74 said:

RaveBaddie said:

Yep, that happens to me too — my Gansulin autopen does it after each pin.

Still, it's only 1 drop, so it doesn't bother me.
Strange thing is, out of the 4 Gansulin pens I use for pinning, just 1 does this. That one is my KLOW, so could the stuff inside be responsible? Or do I just spot it more easily since it's blue?
Same here — my GHK-CU looks blue as well...
 
When you loaded the pen cartridge, did you vent it?

Venting a 3ml cartridge serves a purpose: while the chamber fills, it gives air somewhere to go. That keeps pressure from accumulating and makes sure the cartridge is ready to work with a compatible pen device. Usually this means allowing air to move out of the way as the substance goes in through the rubber stopper. [1]

If a 3ml cartridge is not vented during loading or while you use your V2 pen, serious air pressure can develop. The result may be the internal rubber plunger getting forced sharply backward, contents leaking out, or even the pen's clear plastic cartridge holder cracking. [1, 2, 3]

For refillable injection pens, venting balances the pressure, which helps avoid spills and keeps dosing accurate. [1, 2]

  • Pressure buildup: Trapped air inside an empty cartridge being filled creates either a vacuum or positive pressure. With no venting needle to let that air out, the internal plunger has to work against the trapped pressure, so it can slip or "freewheel". [1]
  • Leaking and blowouts: When the pressure is uneven, dialing or injecting can make liquid seep from the edges, or push the plunger all the way back, which spills the medication. [1, 2]
  • Cracked components: Should pressure send the rubber stopper backward inside the V2 pen's cartridge holder, that force may crack or permanently damage the clear plastic vial housing. [1]
 
When I use a pen, I sometimes spot a drop once the needle is screwed on, and occasionally after I inject. I simply remind myself [[Q1]]
 
Skidude said:

T.Bird said:

Pens don't work for me. If that's happening, it means there's still pressure behind the injection and your body is resisting it. A pen ought to go in straight, not at a 45deg angle. On top of that, if you just bump or bend that fine needle slightly, the inside closes off, so it may be worth swapping the needle tip.

I'm 100% in the old-school needle camp. You watch the numbers and the plunger advance to the next number, plain and simple. My routine is to load the syringe all the way to 1ml and keep going until it's empty, then throw it out. With some syringes you can put a fresh needle on the end, but don't get ya different peps mixed up.

I'm sure other folks do things their own way.
From what you describe, it sounds like one syringe is being used for several doses.

That means it is being exposed to staph and other problems, and once you store it, it is no longer sterile.

If I have understood your practice correctly, please think about paying the extra 20cents to use a fresh one every time.

here is an overview by google:

Using the same needle for more than one dose is risky, since its sterility and structure break down quickly. Bacteria get introduced on the first use and then multiply. The tip also bends and dulls, which causes notable tissue damage. [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]

The main arguments for a brand-new needle with every dose are:

  • Severe Infection Risk: As soon as a needle goes through the skin, bacteria are on it. If it is reused, those pathogens can be carried straight into the body, leading to skin infections (cellulitis), abscesses, or bloodborne illnesses. [1, 2]
  • Increased Pain and Scarring: Needles come with a fine, smooth coating and an ultra-sharp tip. One use bends the microscopic tip and removes its silicone lubricant. When a blunted needle is reused, it creates micro-tears in the skin, which means much more pain, bruising, and long-term tissue damage (such as fatty tissue buildup at the injection site). [1, 2, 3]
  • Dosing Inaccuracy and Breakage: A reused needle may clog with tissue or dried medication, which changes how much medication is actually delivered. In extreme cases, a damaged needle can even snap off under the skin, requiring surgery to remov
I'm with the previous poster on this. That said, because I travel by plane and work away from home, I've settled on a routine for practical reasons. Even so, a few principles follow from what was said above. Cleanliness comes first. Before and after every use, wipe the needle. Rather than pen needles, I use a thicker one — it doesn't dull as quickly since it only touches skin, and it's far more robust than what comes with the pen. The full needle stays in its case, kept cold: in the fridge, at the job site, and my room fridge holds nothing edible and gets opened only for my pep use. And as everyone knows, wipe the skin at the injection site.

I agree that the cheaper 1ml syringes with the fine needle built in don't suit my setup.

I appreciate thoughtful, caring replies — that's how we all learn and swap ideas.
 
Skidude said:

When you loaded the pen cartridge, did you vent it?

Venting a 3ml cartridge serves a purpose: while the chamber fills, it gives air somewhere to go. That keeps pressure from accumulating and makes sure the cartridge is ready to work with a compatible pen device. Usually this means allowing air to move out of the way as the substance goes in through the rubber stopper. [1]

If a 3ml cartridge is not vented during loading or while you use your V2 pen, serious air pressure can develop. The result may be the internal rubber plunger getting forced sharply backward, contents leaking out, or even the pen's clear plastic cartridge holder cracking. [1, 2, 3]

For refillable injection pens, venting balances the pressure, which helps avoid spills and keeps dosing accurate. [1, 2]

  • Pressure buildup: Trapped air inside an empty cartridge being filled creates either a vacuum or positive pressure. With no venting needle to let that air out, the internal plunger has to work against the trapped pressure, so it can slip or "freewheel". [1]
  • Leaking and blowouts: When the pressure is uneven, dialing or injecting can make liquid seep from the edges, or push the plunger all the way back, which spills the medication. [1, 2]
  • Cracked components: Should pressure send the rubber stopper backward inside the V2 pen's cartridge holder, that force may crack or permanently damage the clear plastic vial housing. [1]
Every cartridge I use gets vented, and each one leaves a drop behind once I've pinned. Whether the liquid is blue (GHK-CU) or clear (Wolverine blend), it makes no difference.
 
Every one of my manual pens (V1, V2 and Mrs. Goodlife) leaves a drop hanging on the needle once I withdraw it; with my Gensu2 automatic pen, that drop shows up roughly 1/2 the time.
 
This post really means a lot to me. I was starting to think I was losing my mind. Whether I use my manual pen or my Convi pen, there’s always a small drop left over at the end, and my OCD just can’t deal with that. I also vent my cartridges!
 
T.Bird said:

Pens don't work for me. If that's happening, it means there's still pressure behind the injection and your body is resisting it. A pen ought to go in straight, not at a 45deg angle. On top of that, if you just bump or bend that fine needle slightly, the inside closes off, so it may be worth swapping the needle tip.

I'm 100% in the old-school needle camp. You watch the numbers and the plunger advance to the next number, plain and simple. My routine is to load the syringe all the way to 1ml and keep going until it's empty, then throw it out. With some syringes you can put a fresh needle on the end, but don't get ya different peps mixed up.

I'm sure other folks do things their own way.
My approach is the old-school one too.

A pen definitely makes things easier.

What's odd is that this only started happening lately — it never used to. The speed I push at hasn't changed.

As opposed to pressing the plunger quicker or more slowly.

I go in at 45° since my vision isn't great.

With my 31g 5mm, 90° works fine and doesn't reach muscle. It's just what I prefer.

A 45° angle doesn't create any back pressure problem.

The carts get vented.

Tonight I'll likely hold for 20 seconds and check whether the outcome is the same.
 
Gansulin and Convi behave the same way for me. Pens are my preference when I’m on the move and need to handle injections that come up more often; for something like Reta, which is only taken once a week, I stick with the traditional method. I just go with whichever option is most practical and least hassle for me.
 
About 50% of the time, the Genotropin goquick pen does this to me. It drives me crazy lol. Like the person above mentioned, this thread came at the right time, and it makes me feel better
 
Two-day trial I ran:

Half of my pins went in at 45°, the other half at 90° - the sole difference was adding 15 more seconds of wait time, per the suggestion. No drips at either angle.

On the 📐 90° vs 45° question - plenty of studies exist on the insertion angle for insulin pen needles.

With a 4mm or 5mm needle and body fat above 10%, the risk of hitting muscle is minimal. 90° is what's recommended.

With body fat below 10% and a 6mm needle, pinch up as much as you can or go in at an angle.

My own reason for using 45° was simply eyesight plus spots on my body where I carry very little fat.
 
I use Gansulin. My supplies include 31ga x8mm and 32g x5mm. The 32g ones are where I see this happen most, particularly when the dose goes above 20 units. With those thinner needles, emptying the injection takes longer and there may be greater back pressure.

Whenever the amount is over 20 units, the 31g needle is what I reach for, and I might even move up to 30g.
 
I recently put 40u through a 31g 5mm needle, waited 20 seconds, and there was no drip at all!

The answers are:

With 31g 5mm, pressure and injection resistance can make the injection speed slower.

After pressing the plunger, keep it in for 20 seconds, or for as long as you are comfortable with.

90 degrees is the standard injection angle. 45 degrees is fine if you are very lean.

Fun fact: The body can handle 1.5ml of subQ!!! I do not recommend it.

Here is a great paper that covers several of the topics above.

Subcutaneous Injection of Drugs: Literature Review of Factors Influencing Pain Sensation at the Injection Site
 
Back
Top