Acid Reflux and the GLP Matrix~

Stace_wow

Explorer
Joined
Jun 10, 2026
Messages
247
Reaction score
0
Location
Hot girls don't geotag
Hi everyone,

Please excuse the very basic title. I've got a complicated bunch of GI problems (these predate starting tirz), and I'm hoping to hear from others about their experiences, advice, and ideas 🙂

GERD has been part of my life for close to 20 years, and I believe a big hiatal hernia sitting right above where my esophagus meets my stomach is what caused it or made it worse. When I was younger, I'd simply take Omeprazole and change nothing about my habits. Over the past 5 or 6 years, though, I've become more focused on shifting my eating behaviors so I can support my body as much as possible. I'm also without a gallbladder, which was removed in an emergency about 3 years ago, and after that I developed Diverticulosis. So yeah, my stomach and digestion are a mess. There's a long list of things I do and have done to lessen the impact and to help myself while sleeping, since that's the hardest time for me. I'll wake up in the middle of the night feeling sick, throw up, and then can't get my stomach to calm down for a while. I'm on the max dose of Omeprazole, I add a Famotidine dose (mostly for PMS/PMDD relief), I turn to baking soda when I need fast relief, and I take Gaviscon when I lie down. Eating before bed isn't something I do. I cut off food about 3/4 hours ahead of bedtime, and all of this had been working until this past week.

My diet is 80% clean. Nearly every meal I eat I make at home, and fast food is something I avoid. I go low fat, high fiber, high protein, eat very little red meat (it doesn't sit well with me), and have almost no prepackaged foods (those never sit well in my stomach either). Micros matter a lot to me, probiotics included. Yogurt is a daily thing for me, I take ox bile once a day, and for reference I'm in my 4th week of the 7.5mg shot. Saturday is when I plan to titrate up....

I understand that GLP slows gastric emptying, and I've adjusted how I eat because of that, but it isn't enough or there's something I'm overlooking.

Has anyone here dealt with something similar and managed to cut down gastric disruption by changing habits while awake?

Has anyone had success using BPC to reverse or help a bad stomach?

Any help, guidance, anything at all...even if it seems minor, I'll take it!

**I do realize my issues are complex, but they have been well managed before, & I trust there is a solution that is lifestyle based....I'd really like to stop all the heartburn meds or lower them without suffering
 
Tirz gives me severe GI problems. Before Tirz, I never had any GI problems at all.

Even at 2.5mg for 4 weeks I felt awful, so I dropped down to 1.5 and at 7 weeks I'm still dealing with GI problems. They have eased up, though. Lowering the dose and letting time pass is the only thing that has helped me. Oral BPC-157 is something else I take, and it doesn't help either. Before Tirz, BPC-157 had my digestion running about as well as anyone could ask for.

When reflux gets really bad, Famotidine plus some capsules I purchased called Khlep (Sodium Alginate) give a bit of relief. Only short-lived.

Best of luck. For me, a baby dose and time on Tirz are the only things that truly help. I've basically accepted that the constipation from Tirz won't fully resolve until I stop taking it.

It comes down to the GLP-1 slowing gastric emptying. Humans aren't Gila monsters, and having food sit in your gut for 2 days is completely unnatural for humans.
 
Yeah, the whole thing about food lingering in the stomach—I'm completely with you on that. Every one of my problems showed up before I ever started tirz. The GLP has worked out well for me, and I haven't had any side effects. I also take Sodium Alginate (Gaviscon), and back when my meal timing was out of whack, it genuinely got me through....Really appreciate you taking the time to reply 🙂

Miralax is something I take pretty much every day—could that be useful for you too? Constipation has never been an issue for me, but in my opinion the Miralax keeps everything moving along more easily. For me it's been an absolute lifesaver, since it doesn't bring on any stomach upset or pain—it simply does the job...
 
Stace_wow said:

Hi everyone,

Please excuse the very basic title. I've got a complicated bunch of GI problems (these predate starting tirz), and I'm hoping to hear from others about their experiences, advice, and ideas 🙂

GERD has been part of my life for close to 20 years, and I believe a big hiatal hernia sitting right above where my esophagus meets my stomach is what caused it or made it worse. When I was younger, I'd simply take Omeprazole and change nothing about my habits. Over the past 5 or 6 years, though, I've become more focused on shifting my eating behaviors so I can support my body as much as possible. I'm also without a gallbladder, which was removed in an emergency about 3 years ago, and after that I developed Diverticulosis. So yeah, my stomach and digestion are a mess. There's a long list of things I do and have done to lessen the impact and to help myself while sleeping, since that's the hardest time for me. I'll wake up in the middle of the night feeling sick, throw up, and then can't get my stomach to calm down for a while. I'm on the max dose of Omeprazole, I add a Famotidine dose (mostly for PMS/PMDD relief), I turn to baking soda when I need fast relief, and I take Gaviscon when I lie down. Eating before bed isn't something I do. I cut off food about 3/4 hours ahead of bedtime, and all of this had been working until this past week.

My diet is 80% clean. Nearly every meal I eat I make at home, and fast food is something I avoid. I go low fat, high fiber, high protein, eat very little red meat (it doesn't sit well with me), and have almost no prepackaged foods (those never sit well in my stomach either). Micros matter a lot to me, probiotics included. Yogurt is a daily thing for me, I take ox bile once a day, and for reference I'm in my 4th week of the 7.5mg shot. Saturday is when I plan to titrate up....

I understand that GLP slows gastric emptying, and I've adjusted how I eat because of that, but it isn't enough or there's something I'm overlooking.

Has anyone here dealt with something similar and managed to cut down gastric disruption by changing habits while awake?

Has anyone had success using BPC to reverse or help a bad stomach?

Any help, guidance, anything at all...even if it seems minor, I'll take it!

**I do realize my issues are complex, but they have been well managed before, & I trust there is a solution that is lifestyle based....I'd really like to stop all the heartburn meds or lower them without suffering
One thing that didn't come up in your post: raising the head of the bed by placing bricks beneath its legs. My mom deals with a hiatus hernia that's quite close to yours.

As weight comes off, these GLP medications will probably bring relief, since less pressure inside the abdomen means the stomach and its valve aren't being shoved upward as much — they could even settle back into their proper place. Until then, though, you may find symptoms flaring, because these drugs tend to slow gastric emptying, which aggravates reflux.
 
Seems like you've already given a ton of options a shot, Omeprazole being the one I reach for most myself. Beyond that, the only suggestion left in my head is to check that you're lying on your left side while you sleep. Lifting your upper body could be useful too, so that your stomach sits "downhill" relative to your esophagus. Maybe try sleeping on your back in a recliner, or build a sort of recliner out of a pile of pillows in your bed.

There are folks who insist digestive enzymes do the trick — things like Protease, Papain, Cellulase, plus a few other "-ases".
 
lessthanhalf said:

Stace_wow said:

Hi everyone,

Please excuse the very basic title. I've got a complicated bunch of GI problems (these predate starting tirz), and I'm hoping to hear from others about their experiences, advice, and ideas 🙂

GERD has been part of my life for close to 20 years, and I believe a big hiatal hernia sitting right above where my esophagus meets my stomach is what caused it or made it worse. When I was younger, I'd simply take Omeprazole and change nothing about my habits. Over the past 5 or 6 years, though, I've become more focused on shifting my eating behaviors so I can support my body as much as possible. I'm also without a gallbladder, which was removed in an emergency about 3 years ago, and after that I developed Diverticulosis. So yeah, my stomach and digestion are a mess. There's a long list of things I do and have done to lessen the impact and to help myself while sleeping, since that's the hardest time for me. I'll wake up in the middle of the night feeling sick, throw up, and then can't get my stomach to calm down for a while. I'm on the max dose of Omeprazole, I add a Famotidine dose (mostly for PMS/PMDD relief), I turn to baking soda when I need fast relief, and I take Gaviscon when I lie down. Eating before bed isn't something I do. I cut off food about 3/4 hours ahead of bedtime, and all of this had been working until this past week.

My diet is 80% clean. Nearly every meal I eat I make at home, and fast food is something I avoid. I go low fat, high fiber, high protein, eat very little red meat (it doesn't sit well with me), and have almost no prepackaged foods (those never sit well in my stomach either). Micros matter a lot to me, probiotics included. Yogurt is a daily thing for me, I take ox bile once a day, and for reference I'm in my 4th week of the 7.5mg shot. Saturday is when I plan to titrate up....

I understand that GLP slows gastric emptying, and I've adjusted how I eat because of that, but it isn't enough or there's something I'm overlooking.

Has anyone here dealt with something similar and managed to cut down gastric disruption by changing habits while awake?

Has anyone had success using BPC to reverse or help a bad stomach?

Any help, guidance, anything at all...even if it seems minor, I'll take it!

**I do realize my issues are complex, but they have been well managed before, & I trust there is a solution that is lifestyle based....I'd really like to stop all the heartburn meds or lower them without suffering
One thing that didn't come up in your post: raising the head of the bed by placing bricks beneath its legs. My mom deals with a hiatus hernia that's quite close to yours.

As weight comes off, these GLP medications will probably bring relief, since less pressure inside the abdomen means the stomach and its valve aren't being shoved upward as much — they could even settle back into their proper place. Until then, though, you may find symptoms flaring, because these drugs tend to slow gastric emptying, which aggravates reflux.
Funny thing is, my BF owns one of those fancy adjustable beds that tilts up, and now that I really think about it….when I stay over at his place, this hardly ever happens to me! I'm going to give this a try, thanks so much!
 
Back
Top