A week in and the adjustments are already tough

AllCourtTENNIS said:

maayws said:

For roughly 7 days I’ve been working on establishing healthier routines. I’ve been choosing cleaner foods and being more mindful about what goes into my meals.

I realize these adjustments are likely beneficial, but to be honest, the dietary shifts are proving tougher than I anticipated. There are days when I genuinely long for the way I used to eat.

To anyone who has already navigated this: what helped you keep going once these changes began to feel hard?
Just be patient. Eventually, the medication removes the struggle from all of this. For a few people, it happens right away on day 1. That wasn't my experience, though I never approached it with a cold turkey mindset either. I didn't throw away my snacks or dump out my beers. Tirz was what I began with, and roughly 3 weeks later, I was craving tofu and roasted vegetables with real enthusiasm. That phase ran for around 2 months, and then a different, almost sacred fixation took over. For a while, I wanted dried cranberries every single day. Nothing was forced. Foods that once called out to me simply vanished from my thoughts. Pizza hasn't been part of my life for more than a year now, because when it crosses my mind, the response is just meh. I'm at the 1-year mark, and there isn't a specific food I feel I need or even want. Honestly, eating feels like a chore.

imho, these early days are best spent getting comfortable with drinking plenty of water and making sure your multivitamin routine is solid. Begin searching for a protein powder or drink you can consume once daily to raise your protein intake, since that becomes more difficult as your appetite shrinks. Purchase those protein products in smallish amounts, in case a few of them upset your stomach a few weeks down the line.
I've felt the same way...The loud, nagging food noise has turned into a drowsy, "eh, perhaps I'll take a bite, perhaps I won't" sort of feeling...That's what I appreciate most about the tirz and the reason I'll always keep it on hand to help keep applying the brakes...
 
Air fried pizza on a cauliflower crust used to be my go-to meal before I began. Portion control was never my strong suit — I'd always overdo it. Right now there are 5 crusts sitting in my freezer, and ever since I started on March 6th, 2026, I haven't felt like having even one. It's not that it's bad for me, but the craving for pizza has just vanished. Strange.

Looking at the people who do best on GLPs, they tend to be the ones with prior dieting experience — they get how a calorie deficit functions, they know what to eat, and they fit in some exercise. On the flip side, the ones who struggle most are the people without a food scale, or who never bother using one. Their calorie estimates for what they eat are way too low. Not long ago I saw a food video where someone showed what their 1,100 calorie day of eating looked like. Their measurements and portions across all 3 meals were wildly inaccurate. There's no chance they were weighing anything. Every number was pure guesswork. It didn't shock me at all that their weight wasn't going down.
 
maayws said:

For roughly 7 days I’ve been working on establishing healthier routines. I’ve been choosing cleaner foods and being more mindful about what goes into my meals.

I realize these adjustments are likely beneficial, but to be honest, the dietary shifts are proving tougher than I anticipated. There are days when I genuinely long for the way I used to eat.

To anyone who has already navigated this: what helped you keep going once these changes began to feel hard?
Could you share what you used to eat versus what you eat now — for example, your typical meals before and how you've swapped them? It's possible you've cut back more than necessary, which is a pattern I notice when folks begin a diet.
 
Let your medication take a bit longer to "kick in". For most of us, food noise is the hard part, and getting past it is what really matters. The medication will curb hunger, and in some people it shuts food noise off entirely.

Down the road, you'll likely lose the cravings for unhealthy foods and find you can only manage a small portion of what you once ate, since you'll be full.

GLP1 meds are a game changer. Stick with it
 
Thanks to all of you for opening up about what you’ve been through. Reading your replies has taught me quite a bit, and I’ve taken away several genuinely useful suggestions that should make these dietary shifts less of a struggle. It feels good to know that this resonates with so many others. The backing and kind words you’ve given me truly matter a great deal!
 
I’ve begun writing basic notes on my meal prep containers and a few snacks — for example, the item’s name or the portion I intended to eat. For this, I’ve been relying on a NIIMBOT label maker, and truthfully it’s a minor detail, yet it does help me stay more aware.

I’m still working out which approach suits me best, though small adjustments along these lines have made things feel somewhat less difficult.
 
How you're describing it reminds me a lot of how I felt when I stopped smoking. It was like someone had taken out my closest friend of many years. Sorry I can't give you tips, because tirz pretty much wiped out nearly all of my impulsive food decisions, but I do want to say I'm sorry for what you're going through. Grieving is allowed.
 
maayws said:

For roughly 7 days I’ve been working on establishing healthier routines. I’ve been choosing cleaner foods and being more mindful about what goes into my meals.

I realize these adjustments are likely beneficial, but to be honest, the dietary shifts are proving tougher than I anticipated. There are days when I genuinely long for the way I used to eat.

To anyone who has already navigated this: what helped you keep going once these changes began to feel hard?
Clear out anything you already know is a struggle for you to turn down. Just throw it away, no second thoughts.

Educate yourself on nutrition and how it affects your body, so the new choices feel worthwhile.

Dr Greger's books and nutritionfacts.org are my top suggestions. He's fixated on data and genuine research. For certain people, plant-based eating is a challenge to adopt, yet the advantages are numerous.

Aim to move each day, even a small amount, then increase from there. Write in a journal and give yourself credit for the effort and for choosing a brighter future.

Each day improves.
 
desinr-gal said:

maayws said:

For roughly 7 days I’ve been working on establishing healthier routines. I’ve been choosing cleaner foods and being more mindful about what goes into my meals.

I realize these adjustments are likely beneficial, but to be honest, the dietary shifts are proving tougher than I anticipated. There are days when I genuinely long for the way I used to eat.

To anyone who has already navigated this: what helped you keep going once these changes began to feel hard?
Clear out anything you already know is a struggle for you to turn down. Just throw it away, no second thoughts.

Educate yourself on nutrition and how it affects your body, so the new choices feel worthwhile.

Dr Greger's books and nutritionfacts.org are my top suggestions. He's fixated on data and genuine research. For certain people, plant-based eating is a challenge to adopt, yet the advantages are numerous.

Aim to move each day, even a small amount, then increase from there. Write in a journal and give yourself credit for the effort and for choosing a brighter future.

Each day improves.
That makes sense, I appreciate you sharing that!
 
Back
Top