A single day of water fasting, and suddenly 6lb gone

lastresort

Explorer
Joined
Mar 10, 2026
Messages
439
Reaction score
0
Location
NorthEast US
I'd been stuck at the same weight for 2 weeks, and yesterday it started getting to me (right now I'm taking 9mg reta, reduced from 15mg since I thought it might be holding back my gains from lifting), so I went without food and put in 50 min of what I guess you'd call hybrid brisk walking plus elliptical. Result: 6lb down!

Like Nicholas Perry put it....Its just water weight!
 
Yesterday afternoon I threw in a 1 oz serving of Ruffles as a snack, and by morning a pound was gone. Not joking. My approach is the one I'd suggest — way more fun, no question.
 
I used to fast once a month. The number on the scale always moved the “right” way. I really ought to start doing that again.
 
Going without food for a whole day and only drinking water led to 6lb disappearing almost instantly. That kind of crash drop is going to come mostly from muscle breakdown rather than actual fat loss, so using severe starvation methods isn’t something I’d recommend depending on.
 
ShimrodsPhial said:


I'm one of those people who gain 1 kg during a 72 hour fast.

You're lucky.

Click to expand...
Keep your fluid intake high. Though it may seem odd, the body tends to retain every bit of water when you don't drink enough.
 
Redz said:

Going without food for a whole day and only drinking water led to 6lb disappearing almost instantly. That kind of crash drop is going to come mostly from muscle breakdown rather than actual fat loss, so using severe starvation methods isn’t something I’d recommend depending on.
Since I'm on TRT, muscle breakdown isn't really a worry for me. Plus it's just a day or two.
 
Redz said:

Going without food for a whole day and only drinking water led to 6lb disappearing almost instantly. That kind of crash drop is going to come mostly from muscle breakdown rather than actual fat loss, so using severe starvation methods isn’t something I’d recommend depending on.
A brief fast poses no worry whatsoever.
 
Even while I'm on a maintenance dose, I keep dropping weight despite eating extra carbs, more food, and drinking additional beer. Last Friday I moved up from 10m to 4mg, and before that I'd spent 4 weeks at 6mg. Friday will tell me what the scale shows.
 
lastresort said:

I'd been stuck at the same weight for 2 weeks, and yesterday it started getting to me (right now I'm taking 9mg reta, reduced from 15mg since I thought it might be holding back my gains from lifting), so I went without food and put in 50 min of what I guess you'd call hybrid brisk walking plus elliptical. Result: 6lb down!

Like Nicholas Perry put it....Its just water weight!
My routine is alternate day fasting, and on the days I eat it's largely carnivore. That combo does the job for me. As a post menopausal woman, it's the sole method that gets the scale to budge! Dropping roughly 3 lbs weekly.
 
kakiebean said:

lastresort said:

I'd been stuck at the same weight for 2 weeks, and yesterday it started getting to me (right now I'm taking 9mg reta, reduced from 15mg since I thought it might be holding back my gains from lifting), so I went without food and put in 50 min of what I guess you'd call hybrid brisk walking plus elliptical. Result: 6lb down!

Like Nicholas Perry put it....Its just water weight!
My routine is alternate day fasting, and on the days I eat it's largely carnivore. That combo does the job for me. As a post menopausal woman, it's the sole method that gets the scale to budge! Dropping roughly 3 lbs weekly.
For a post-menopausal woman, 3 lbs weekly? That's seriously quick. Let me check I've got this right: you eat only on alternate days, and when you do eat, it's largely carnivore? That's intense. Consider me impressed.
 
spanky2026 said:

Yesterday afternoon I threw in a 1 oz serving of Ruffles as a snack, and by morning a pound was gone. Not joking. My approach is the one I'd suggest — way more fun, no question.
I'm near my target now, but back when I first dropped weight using sema, the pattern was: hit a plateau, then have one rough day of snacking (usually potato chips), and after that the scale would start moving down again. So what worked for you isn't unique to you.

My best guess is that my system read the situation as a shortage, so it clung tightly to whatever it could. Once I showed it there was no shortage — because potato chips are still around — it felt safe enough to let a bit more weight go.
 
Yep. My routine is a 40-hour fast with nothing but water, tea, and coffee, followed by an 8-hour window for eating. During that refeed I aim for 150 g protein, 70 to 90 g fat, and 10-20 g carbs. Then I start over again. I feel great. Hydration and electrolytes get a lot of attention from me. With Reta at 2 mg per week, going without food is pretty effortless. The flip side is that the refeed is challenging since I have no appetite, but I still eat. Roughly 90% of what I eat is carnivore. On eating days I include leafy greens, avocado, olives, and cucumbers. Fasted workouts happen 3 x per week, and I aim for a 30-minute walk each day. And I'm not telling anyone else to do this. It's simply what is working for me.
 
Once my 2nd fasting day wrapped up, the scale had only moved down by 1.5lb. That puts me at 232.8lb now (my starting point was 264lb back in February).

Now I'm returning to my usual, healthy way of eating.
 
Back
Top