lessthanhalf
Explorer
Losing 18 lbs over 3 months, when you factor in the 5-10 lbs of water weight that comes off first, isn't much of a result. A genuine stall at this point would be very unlikely; fluid shifts are the more probable explanation. Still, the pace of loss across 3 months while running above-standard doses and combinations of GLP's is poor, and it points toward you being a weaker responder, considering you're on 12mg reta alongside 0.75 of cagri. Real plateaus tend to show up around the 1 year mark. Should the rate simply be slow - say 18-5lbs over 3 months, or 4 lbs per month - and then resume dropping at some stage, that could be acceptable, just sluggish.Draculawless said:
Starting with the basics - my stats
Male, 44 years old: decent looking, though not exactly striking
Weight right now: 278
Weight when I began in Feb 2026: 295
Working out: I lift weights 3x weekly when my schedule allows. On my lunch break I try to walk about 2.5 miles at the quickest pace I can manage. That typically takes me somewhere between 35 and 40 minutes.
Food intake: I track everything with cronometer. Sitting at 1950 calories daily at the moment.
The situation:
I suspect I'm one of those people who responds slowly. Right now I'm taking 12mg of reta plus .75 of cag each week. For roughly a month my weight has been stuck near 280. I'm still able to eat, just less than before, but hunger is still there. Whenever I try cutting to 1500 calories, the HUNGER hits hard.
So what's the deal? Should I push the reta past the 12mg trial ceiling, or bump up the cag? Give it more time? Anyone else hit a wall right at the top of their dose?
I'm fairly confident you mentioned side effects were minimal. Height isn't given, so judging how overweight you are is difficult; as a rule, the heavier someone is, the quicker they shed weight. My assumption is you weren't diabetic before starting, since diabetes tends to blunt weight loss considerably.
It's worth sourcing a different reta batch, purely to rule out a bad one.
My suspicion lands on the calorie figure being slightly inaccurate - people are generally quite poor at estimating calories, and only weighing every single thing you eat gets it right. That said, if the drugs were doing their job, appetite should be suppressed enough to create a deficit with no extra effort. Significant metabolic adaptation at 3 months seems too soon to me.
Should protein be below 1.5g/kg body weight, raise it, and think about going even higher. Per calorie, protein satisfies hunger better than anything else, plus you get a bonus 20% extra calories from the energy wasted in metabolising the protein.
As for options - bumping cagri is likely simplest since you're already taking it, or else more reta. It hinges on what happened when you added cagri; if nothing seemed to change, you may be similarly unresponsive to it. I can definitely tell I have taken 0.25mg of it. On this forum I've seen very few people running high reta doses, and clearly it is not been studied medically yet, so it is harder to say for reta how risky high doses are. The other question is whether the obesity is severe enough to justify whatever the unknown extra risks are of high dose/combo therapy. My view: severe obesity BMI 40+ is so damaging to health that any possible risks from experimental combinations or higher doses are almost certainly going to be lower than the risks of the obesity, though this reasoning weakens as the obesity becomes less severe.
Adding some tirz at a modest dose, like 5mg/w, may actually be worth a try. Of all the GLP's it hits GIP receptors hardest, and its biased agonism on glp-1 might amplify effects there too. Given how little reta seems to be doing for you, that could make more sense than pushing the reta dose up.
Semaglutide could also be an option, but only after tirz has failed - at least semaglutide has actually been studied at much higher doses of 7.2mg and 16mg.
What is really needed are studies on what to do if glp therapy does not work or is only marginally effective, there will get done eventually but have not been done yet.
My thinking might be a bit biased towards that combination as it works for me tirz15mg/reta5mg/cagri0.5mg per week, but i lost most of the weight before starting any of them and am using it to try to keep off 55% of my body weight, and definitely respond more to these drugs than you seem to.
Perhaps you're simply unlucky and fall into the 5-10% of people who respond poorly to GLP's. Even so, another 2 -3 months, plus higher doses/combos, would be needed before drawing that conclusion.