11 weeks in and dealing with sulphur burps

Purpletree

Explorer
Joined
Jul 5, 2026
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
Location
Romania
I’ve reached week 11 of my tirz journey, and this morning after waking up I took a large, sharp gulp of sparkling water — then everything went downhill. Sulphur burps hit me! I didn’t recognize them at first, but it didn’t take long to figure out what was happening. Honestly, they were so severe that I left work only 1 hour after arriving. I feel awful. Following gpt-s advice, I had plain bread, regular water, and tea, and for roughly the last 2 hours they seemed to ease off — but now they’re back 🫩. What can I do? I can’t go around smelling like rotten eggs constantly. I’m scared that no matter what I eat, they’ll stick around. Sadly, pepto bismol isn’t available where I live, so that option is off the table.

What should I try? I drank pickle juice and it helped briefly. I’m so frustrated ☹️😭
 
Argh, that's rough! Is NeoBianacid available where you are in Romania? It's sold here in Italy, and although I can't promise it would fix your particular problem, it has made a massive difference for me with other stomach troubles I've dealt with.
 
Did you eat a larger amount than normal in the hours before? That used to be my experience—it’s quite awful.
 
vale113 said:

Did you eat a larger amount than normal in the hours before? That used to be my experience—it’s quite awful.
Yesterday I had 2 slices of pizza and a slice of cake. I didn't give it much thought. Then this morning I woke up feeling like this. They're awful and I'm about to lose it 🤮
 
NagChamp said:

Argh, that's rough! Is NeoBianacid available where you are in Romania? It's sold here in Italy, and although I can't promise it would fix your particular problem, it has made a massive difference for me with other stomach troubles I've dealt with.
Sure, I’ll head out and pick some up. Appreciate the tip!
 
Purpletree said:

vale113 said:

Did you eat a larger amount than normal in the hours before? That used to be my experience—it’s quite awful.
Yesterday I had 2 slices of pizza and a slice of cake. I didn't give it much thought. Then this morning I woke up feeling like this. They're awful and I'm about to lose it 🤮
You're right about the cause, though my own experience involved bigger amounts. Mine typically stuck around for 1 day, maybe 2, and they were truly awful.
 
Purpletree said:

NagChamp said:

Argh, that's rough! Is NeoBianacid available where you are in Romania? It's sold here in Italy, and although I can't promise it would fix your particular problem, it has made a massive difference for me with other stomach troubles I've dealt with.
Sure, I’ll head out and pick some up. Appreciate the tip!

Great! I'll be hoping things work out for you 🤞
 
Purpletree said:

I’ve reached week 11 of my tirz journey, and this morning after waking up I took a large, sharp gulp of sparkling water — then everything went downhill. Sulphur burps hit me! I didn’t recognize them at first, but it didn’t take long to figure out what was happening. Honestly, they were so severe that I left work only 1 hour after arriving. I feel awful. Following gpt-s advice, I had plain bread, regular water, and tea, and for roughly the last 2 hours they seemed to ease off — but now they’re back 🫩. What can I do? I can’t go around smelling like rotten eggs constantly. I’m scared that no matter what I eat, they’ll stick around. Sadly, pepto bismol isn’t available where I live, so that option is off the table.

What should I try? I drank pickle juice and it helped briefly. I’m so frustrated ☹️😭
For me, sulfur burps have been the most unpleasant reta side effect. What finally helped was a daily acidophilus probiotic. Whenever I skip it for a day or two, the burps return without fail.

If you need relief right away and bismuth subsalicylate is available to you, that's identical to Pepto Bismol.
 
The sulphur burps hit me too — they kicked off roughly 2 months back, which put me at 4 months on reta. Removing eggs from my diet gave some relief. Then I dialed down the zero sodas, and that appears to have been the fix, since the sulphur burps are gone now.

My guess is that when digestion slows down that much, whatever is sitting in your stomach just keeps stewing, and with only 2 exits — plus the other end running slow as well — it has nowhere to go. I've got no science to support this.
 
I went through the same thing, and by the 3-month mark gastric reflux had kicked in for me. Taking Controloc in the morning appears to do the trick in my case
 
Mine lasted somewhere around 1 to 2 weeks, and it was pretty rough, though luckily they eventually stopped. Back then I was eating a ton of eggs, so I wondered whether that played a role, yet nothing about my diet really shifted either before or after. I haven't come across any actual research on this, but by plain reasoning it must be hydrogen suphide gas, since that matches the smell, and gut bugs are producing it by fermenting something, probably suphur containing amino acids, with the microbiome likely having shifted somewhat because of the GLP drugs, diet changes, or both. Also, it's probably happening fairly high up in the gastrointestinal system, meaning the small intestine or possibly even the stomach given slower gastric emptying, because if the colon were generating it through ordinary fermentation, the gas would exit from the other end.

I don't have a fix that worked for me, since they simply faded on their own. Whatever shifts your microbiome could potentially help, so either cutting back on fiber or adding more, and probiotics are worth a try, plus if reflux / heartburn is present, treat it with proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole. The usual GLP guidance of smaller meals eaten more frequently may be useful, and antacids may be useful too. Perhaps try eating very little for a day or two to see whether that resets your gut bugs somewhat?
 
Your gut microbiome is likely involved. Focus on consuming plenty of whole foods, especially vegetables, fiber, and plant-based options. Probiotics -- kefir works well.
 
I dealt with these before starting tirz, though tirz has certainly increased how frequently they occur. In my case, lactose intolerance is the trigger. Because that's something I bring on myself, my only option was cutting out lactose — it lingers in my stomach for a longer stretch now.
 
Back
Top